Pine Needle Cast Treatment and Prevention

DrBonsai

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Is Copper Sulfate (Copper Dust) or Copper Soap (Copper Octanoate) better
for bonsai applications to counter and prevent needle cast?
Bonide makes both and I wasn't sure if one was better than another for bonsai trees.

Is there a preference to using Daconil (Chlorothalonil) ?

Cypress187

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Soap sounds better ;) I have totally no clue as you could have guessed.

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
I've used Daconil in the past, with un-even results. It seemed to work, but not always, perhaps I was not applying it correctly. I currently use Cleary's 3336 granulated. I use 1 tablespoon per cubic foot of soil in the pot. (rough estimate) and apply every 3 months. The Cleary's 3336 seems to work well.

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
41f8ahNfoiL._SL500_SS75_SS75_.jpg

Bonide Liquid Copper Fungicide Concentrate 6666011
Bonide
Link: http://amzn.com/B006NQWR7Y

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
The other thing you need to know about needle cast is that the needles are infected the season before you see it on the needles. So treating with a spray just when you see it doesn't do anything for the current manifeststion of the fungus. It should help to prevent next year's infection if you spray before and during the the time when the spores infect the needles.

PaulH

Omono
Reaction score
I also use Cleary 3336, Works well. Not only for needle cast but also for powdery mildew and black spot on my oaks.

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
Thanks for the info. The Clearys' is applied to soil and systemic. Doesn't that hurt the Mycorrhizae (beneficial fungus) ?
The Bonide Liquid looks like its the copper soap.
After further digging:
http://www.sym-agro.com/documents/t...3-03-Effects-Fungicides-Mycorrhizal-Fungi.pdf

I looked at your reference. It has Clearys 3336 list both as benign and in the column as harmful. There is at least one other fungicide that is in both columns. What does that mean?

DrBonsai

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Your guess is as good as mine, lol. I guess 2 reports had it neutral or positive and 2 reports had it negative. When I posed the question initially I wanted opinions on what other forum members used successfully.
Leo you have been doing this awhile, so if the Clearys 3336 works for you, I would keep on using it. There is no substitute for experience.

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I did forget to mention I use Daconil and Bonide Copper Fungicide. I alternate treatment during the height of fungus activity (humid, warm conditions)

Top Bottom