Votes: 3 27.3%
  • Branch fgrowing to the left

Votes: 8 72.7%

• Total voters

bonsai barry

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
This tree will be repotted and styled this Spring. he first photo is the current view of the tree. I should mention that the long straight branch that actually is a graceful curve toward the viewer in option 1: branch growing to the right. Option two is best view of Nebari (which, ironically, is not well displayed in photo).

Which view do you like best?
Option one: Branch growing toward viewer's right (second photo)
Option two: Branch growing toward viewer's left (third photo)

Also I am looking for suggestions for the stump that was left when the main trunk was removed. Should I get rid of it or make it into a jin?

Attachments

• pine2.jpg
    pine2.jpg
    58.1 KB · Views: 46
  • pine2_edited-1.jpg
    pine2_edited-1.jpg
    49.4 KB · Views: 55
  • pine-virt-1.jpg
    pine-virt-1.jpg
    31.2 KB · Views: 59
Last edited:

irene_b

Omono
Reaction score
I like pic #3...and a jin...

mcpesq817

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I think it would be helpful to get better pictures of the base from both sides. I ended up voting for the branches going to the right because it looks like the base is better from that angle based on the pictures you posted. Also, the branches seem to more naturally flow towards the viewer, rather than away from the viewer as in the picture where the branches go to the left.

I like the more compact profile and movement of the branches in #3, but I think you can achieve something similar if the front is where the branches move to the right.

As for the jin question, I would start with a jin and then remove it over time if you so desire. It's easier to remove a jin than to put one back on :D

*EDIT* It looks like your post was edited and I missed your clarifications on the nebari. If the nebari is better in pic #3, then I would go with that, but wire the branches so that they don't flow away from the viewer.

Last edited:

Walter Pall

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
It seems to em that it would be a good idea to cut out the middle branch totally. And to make pictures from the side and not from above. Otherwise it is near impossible to judge anything.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
It seems to em that it would be a good idea to cut out the middle branch totally. And to make pictures from the side and not from above. Otherwise it is near impossible to judge anything.

I would definitely agree with Walter here. In addition, I'd want to try to make the "s" curve a little less uniform, finding a way to inject some randomness into the equation.

JasonG

Chumono
Reaction score
I agree so far with Walter and Chris.... But I will say that this won't ever be a windswept or at least a convincing one. That is the hardest style to pull off and one in a million actually work. Because the tree is already flowing that way doesn't mean that it is ideal for that style, heck that is the easy way out :)
The main branch has too much of a perfect S which is very distracting and needs to be bent pretty good. This will also compact the tree quite a bit and bring the foliage much closer. Here is a very amateurish virt that might give you a little different idea. With that said, the long middle branch has to go.

You can end up with a really cool smaller tree that isn't' a windswept and will do the material justice, I assure you;)

Jason

Attachments

• pine2.jpg
    pine2.jpg
    80.7 KB · Views: 25

bonsai barry

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Wow, Lots of replies from artists whose opinion I value. Thanks. (Maybe we're all spending too much time online rather than with our famlies).

Here is a photo of the tree when I dug it out of the ground four years ago. It was a living Christmas tree gone bad. You can see that "S" curve has been there a long time. I think this tree will always have a stylized look to it. Not my favorite kind of tree, but worth keeping, I think.

Thanks again and Merry Christmas.

Attachments

• 1.28.05-006.jpg
    1.28.05-006.jpg
    56.3 KB · Views: 32
Top Bottom