Pine pest - wasp?

Graydon

Chumono
Reaction score
We had a great rain yesterday evening so I was able to turn off the irrigation on timers for today. I did a quick walk around this morning just to check on everything. To my dismay I found fresh cut needles on the top of the soil in many of the pine pots. They looked clean cut, almost as if I had sheared them off. I have done no pruning so it was not that.

All signs point to a wasp I have seen for years. Wahoo172 and I have discussed this as he has seen wasps cutting needles on his pines too. The extent of the cutting in the past has been very small, just a few needles here and there. Apparently they had a party this morning - on my pine bench.

Here's the question - how can I deal with these pests? If they continue at the rate they did this morning I'll have defoliated pines in a week or so.

I'll try to get a photo of one in action soon so it can be identified.

Jay Wilson

Shohin
Reaction score
Graydon,
I have notice the odd cut needles on my pines. I have also seen wasps cuttiing them but not to the degree you have described. I have no clue as to what to do.

Jay

Graydon

Chumono
Reaction score
It must have been a random party as I have not seen as many cut needles in the last 2 days (knock on wood). The only research I was able to find references "pine and wasp" as a predatory wasp to the southern pine bark beetle but it's not the same wasp I have seen on my trees. They don't touch my sand pines, only the Japanese black pines. Hmmmmm.

I hate to use insecticides as there are so many good bugs. I suppose if it gets bad again I will need to put up some mosquito type netting covering the bench with the more advanced pines. The reality is I can't protect them all.

Still trying to get a photo of a wasp in action.

Tachigi

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
It must have been a random party

I've stumbled into one or two of them myself. In the morning I said what a great party wonder were it was. Maybe the wasps are having the same problem, or that pine sap gave them a helluva hang over.

They make a wasp trap, use pheromones (sp?) or something. If I can remember the name I'll forward it on to you.

wahoo172

Yamadori
Reaction score
drunken wasp orgy

Hey, I think there must have been a band of rouge drunken wasps sucking pine sap and cavorting around Polk County the last couple days, I saw the results on my JBP's the next day after reading this thread.
I tried having a tantrum, lets see if that worked to keep them at bay.

Graydon

Chumono
Reaction score
Hey, I think there must have been a band of rouge drunken wasps sucking pine sap and cavorting around Polk County the last couple days, I saw the results on my JBP's the next day after reading this thread.
I tried having a tantrum, lets see if that worked to keep them at bay.

I was almost certain that you left a bribe and a map to my house for those wasps.

I spent nearly an hour standing there today with a camera waiting for one to show up. Sigh - no luck. At this point I need photo proof or all the west coasters are going to think I'm a little nuts.

Graydon

Chumono
Reaction score
I was watering this evening and look what I found! Had to make a mad dash for the camera inside. It was so interested in what it was doing it paid no attention to me. Didn't try to escape or anything. I do think he was a bit ill. I had treated the pines with an insecticide and given them a dose of systemic. Soon after I shot the photos he fell to the bench and wobbled around for a while.

So.... is this the dreaded "chew the needle" wasp or the "predator" that is looking for shoot tip moths? I believe them to be one and the same after a bit of research. I think the needle chewing is just so it can get to the larvae of the moth. Unless I see an outbreak of moths on the trees I will let the systemic do it's thing - as well as let the wasp do it's thing.

Attachments

• IMG_2500.jpg
    IMG_2500.jpg
    32.5 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_2505.jpg
    IMG_2505.jpg
    41.8 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_2512.jpg
    IMG_2512.jpg
    35.2 KB · Views: 19

wahoo172

Yamadori
Reaction score
wasp

I saw a wasp today that looked just like him/her, he was on the large juniper I have in that oak box.
I have not seen much needle cutting lately and have no brow shoots on my pines. Guess that bribe worked.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
emk Help ID this pest on my pine Pines 10
G Pine pest - shoot tip moth General Discussion 6
Mike Corazzi Pine moss. ????? Pines 0
T Japanese Black Pine Pines 7
M Kotobuki Japanese Back Pine Decandling Help Pines 5