Pine question... growth without candles?

ecalvillo7

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Hi Bonsai Nuts! I got a pine from a friend some months ago and started to see some budding in the needles that were cut. It seems as if it does not grow by candles but by budding where the cut was made... so, now i don´t know if it is really a pine, or is it a different species of tree? Any help greatly appreciated... Still learning to wire so don´t give me hate for it.014859a5-8612-4c0c-b177-2f51513e5236.jpg35672c02-caaa-497c-abf5-acac1c63eb81.jpg7e1894cd-dbfa-49fb-ac99-e34f92395d34.jpgd3268205-5477-4f97-96ed-2675bd57a3a8.jpg2270fd47-536e-444e-88ea-6e6849c826c4.jpg

Potawatomi13

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
OR possibly Pine reverted to juvenile growth after drastic pruning. Don't Spruce have 3-4 cornered needles:confused:? These seem round on bottom/flat on top like pine. Great pictures! Feed well let grow freely at least 2 years and see if Pine type needles begin to show. Also please clean weeds out of pot taking nourishment and water from tree. Basic branch structure looks good. Wiring will get better in time;).

Last edited:

Wires_Guy_wires

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
It looks very spruce like to me.
Smooth bark, whitish color, very compact growth. If it would be juvenile pine needles, I would expect them to be larger, less compacted and more flat and wide. There would also be something that should look like a candle-base (brown parts) like on my mugo pictured below.
I'm growing a lot of pines from seed and none of them have growth that looks remotely like spruce needles.
IMG_20201029_151153.jpg

So by excluding that it's a pine, it's probably a spruce. I would be surprised if it isn't.

Potawatomi13

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
You ignore cross sectional shape of needles although possible not seen perfectly.

Arnold

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
11B
I think its a Stone pine or Halepensis pine with juvenile foliage not a Picea, that happens a lot when they are constantly pruned back

Arnold

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
11B
Pinus pinea Stone pine with juvenile foliage

bonsai-italian-stone-pine.jpg

Pinus halepensis with juvenile foliage Bonsai tonight, Aleppo pine

Peter-1.jpg

Wires_Guy_wires

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Good point @Arnold ! I have some aleppo pines and I used to have stone pines, and they seem to produce bark at quite a young age. My own halpensis are making bark at age 2 and my stone pines had plates at age 6. That's why I was thinking spruce. My aleppo pines also have way more open/extended growth compared to the tree that OP is showing.

You ignore cross sectional shape of needles although possible not seen perfectly.
I didn't ignore it, some spruces do this too especially if they're from warmer regions, I'm not familiar with US spruces but some of my european spruce branches show a similar foliage pattern. However, it seems to vary a lot on the same tree; some have more rounded foliage while others seem to have more flattened foliage.

Waxman

Seed
Reaction score
Could it possibly be a Cedar such as Cedrus lebannii??

Arnold

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
11B
I know for you guys dont make much sense to be a Pine because you are not used to them 😂, but if you ussually work with Stone and Aleppo pine its clearly a pine not a picea or cedrus

Stone pine juvenile foliage, if you are not familiar with them I also would think its a picea or something

0728b58b005ed8ea30ef49b48aa12683.jpg

Wires_Guy_wires

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
I know for you guys dont make much sense to be a Pine because you are not used to them 😂, but if you ussually work with Stone and Aleppo pine its clearly a pine not a picea or cedrus

Stone pine juvenile foliage, if you are not familiar with them I also would think its a picea or something

0728b58b005ed8ea30ef49b48aa12683.jpg

Since you're from the Canary isles, have you tried Juniperus phoenicea? They are endemic to your region! Not sure about Tenerife, but I found articles that there should be wild populations there.
I think they're locally called Sabina negra, but nobody could tell me more about them.

ecalvillo7

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
I also have halepensis, sometimes they stay long time with the grayish smooth bark like these one also from bonsai tonight blog but with adult foliage

Aleppo-refinement.jpg
Liked very much this bonsai!!!! i was thinking of reducing it to something similar

Arnold

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
11B
Since you're from the Canary isles, have you tried Juniperus phoenicea? They are endemic to your region! Not sure about Tenerife, but I found articles that there should be wild populations there.
I think they're locally called Sabina negra, but nobody could tell me more about them.
Yes I have Juniperus phoenicea they grow in Tenerife but the most famous grow in El Hierro island, I also grow Juniperus cedrus a prickly juniper similar to Juniperus rigida, both species have good potential for bonsai. The Pinus canariensis have enormous adult needles but the juvenile are pretty small like halepensis and its one of the few pines that survive if they loss all his foliage by fire or pruning and sprout from old wood like no other pine

Top Bottom