Pine recommendations

AuBonsai

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I would like to get some recommendations on the best pine for my area I live in USDA zone 7a. I would like to buy some stock from a nursery and attempt to make into a bonsai instead of purchasing one already styled.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Pitch pine or pinus rigida is common in your area and is one of the few pines that back buds. the only problem os that they might not be common at nurseries since they grow everywhere any ways. In fact, if you find a nursery with some affordable stock, I would be very pleased with a pm with the name and address of the nursery. You could also go the more traditional route and get a jbp.

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I have answered this question several times on this forum.

The "Classic" pine that every bonsai artist should learn to grow is JBP. (Japanese Black Pine) It is the fastest growing, most forgiving, and most responsive to bonsai techniques. While established trained JBP are quite expensive, the demand for JBP has inspired enough growers to offer decent starters at reasonable prices.

JBP are available at neighborhood garden centers, but I believe you will find reasonalbly priced starter material at either your local bonsai shop or reputable ebay sellers like George Muranaka. George sells trees he has grown in the ground for several years, but kept the lower branches pinched back so there are branches and twigs to work with. His trees usually start around $100 to $140, but you'll have something to work with and learn JBP techniques. Starting with seedlings would be pointless to a beginner... there's nothing to do but let them grow for several years.

Please note: I just looked at ebay, George doesn't have any JBP up for sale right now. He is seller "mbn1978". That's unusual. He usually has 5 or 6. Business must be good! But check back. JBP is his stock in trade, and he often takes trees to all the local shows in California. His shipping methods are great and reasonably priced.

AuBonsai

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Thank you I will probably keep checking on ebay for jbp and if I find any good nursery stock as they start to fully re-open I will let you know.

Last edited:

cmeg1

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Finding good JBP stock is a great idea,but I also think I would grow some JBP from seed in the meantime too.The 'Pines' book from stone lantern publishing shows that you can make a shohin in 6 years from seed with a 1'' trunk growing them in colanders.I would do both.

tmmason10

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
We do have a few pitch pine at New England Bonsai but only two at this point. Every once in a while a few more get traded in or we get some more collected. It may be worth shooting an email to the nursery.

jk_lewis

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7-8
In your area, check out www.musserforests.com. They have lots of pines that are bonsai candidates -- if you can wait for them to grow up.

AuBonsai

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Thank you I think I am going to order some seedlings from musser forests to start growing and keep looking for either a more mature jbp or pitch pine. One can never have to many trees.

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
One can never have to many trees.

The more seasoned people here will wisely tell you otherwise...you have to factor available space and time you can devote to them. They do require time...more as they become bonsai. This is coming from a fellow tree hog by the way who can see their point. LOL :D

AuBonsai

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I definitely concede to that point I currently have about 5 pre bonsai and can see the time commitment it takes.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Pinus Virginiana is another native pine that has nice delicate needles.

Fangorn

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
The more seasoned people here will wisely tell you otherwise...you have to factor available space and time you can devote to them. They do require time...more as they become bonsai. This is coming from a fellow tree hog by the way who can see their point. LOL :D

As a reformed "tree hog" I was going to write something similar. The longer I do Bonsai the number of trees (in containers) I own have dropped considerably, and I know the ones I still have are better because of it.
As far as a pine recommendation, I think here in the Northeast a scots pine is a very good choice. It's very forgiving and does extremely well here, and judging from local club members and artists collections they easily outnumbers any other kind of pine

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Virginia Pine needes "twist". They will reduce in length, and you can decandle them like JBP. But the needles, being twisted, will never look as refined as a JBP or a JRP.

Virginia Pine is more like a JRP.

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
Virginia Pine needes "twist". They will reduce in length, and you can decandle them like JBP. But the needles, being twisted, will never look as refined as a JBP or a JRP.

Virginia Pine is more like a JRP.

It has been my experience with both Mugo and Scots Pines, both of which are reported to have twisted needles, will abandon this trait with proper pinching techniques. The twisting only seems to appear when they are left to grow beyond limits unchecked for a couple of years.

dick benbow

Omono
Reaction score
I think post #2 had great value in suggesting a pine that is acclimated to your area. What better way to begin then to learn on something local. once the confidence is established then
other pines that can be brought in from out of the area can be more easily handled.

here in my area I'm blessed with lots of different varieties.....ponderosa, lodgepole, shorepine
some were a challenge to collect but all have done very well

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Also there are in your area the possibilities of some great collected trees.

Don't I know it. I have been dying to go on a collecting trip for years. Unfortunately, and due to no ones fault but my own, I haven't been social enough with bonsai, i.e. going to local club meetings and such, to make any friends kind enough to take me on a trip with them and share with me the know how, and how to get the proper permission.. etc

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Vance,

Your dedication to the promotion of using domestic trees for bonsai is commendable. It is true, we do need to see more of our native trees in bonsai.

But, the original poster is new to bonsai. He is looking to learn about bonsai, and to stay with the hobby, he is going to want to be successful. JBP has more information available than probably any species, most every experienced bonsai-ist will have one, so he should be able to get information and support easily.

On the other hand, if he is trying to make a bonsai out of material no one (or few people) else is using, he will become frustrated with the lack of support and may quit the hobby.

Why not start with something "easy" and cut his teeth on something whose growth patterns are well known? Then, once he's had some success with that, he would be ready for more challeging (or less well known) material?

New pilots don't learn by flying F14s. They start in single engine Cessnas.

Top Bottom