Pine seed stratification

Kane_

Seedling
Reaction score
Hello 👋
I collected some pine seeds when on holiday in Turkey (not sure exactly what kind of pine)
I had a quick look online on stratification but found quite a range of answers on stratification times (if required at all for a tree native to warm climate)?
Just wondering if any one has any experience with this?

thank you.

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
JBP seeds germinate quite well without any stratification here.
Warm climate pines are even less likely to require treatment.
I would try planting at least some of your seeds now and see what happens.

Kane_

Seedling
Reaction score
JBP seeds germinate quite well without any stratification here.
Warm climate pines are even less likely to require treatment.
I would try planting at least some of your seeds now and see what happens.
Thanks. I put them in the fridge already this won’t be detrimental will it?

Wires_Guy_wires

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Thank you
Except if you've been to the northern parts of Turkey. The places where you can ski and stuff.
I think over there it's mainly pinus nigra and pinaster, but I'm not that familiar with Turkish native flora.
If it was somewhere around the southwest coast, it's most likely pinea or halepensis. They both can handle freezing, as do the others I mentioned. Pinea is a tad less hardy though. A buddy of mine has two and they lived through -15°C so not sure where that info is based on.

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
Pretty sure that Pinus brutia is another Turkish native - very similar to halapensis.
Pinus pinea seed cannot be confused with other species - very large hard 'nuts' with no wing. It is the source of 'Pine nuts' sold in supermarket and used for pesto. Growth habit (adult tree shape), foliage and cones are quite different too.

Seed in the fridge won't hurt any species. It just delays germination for those species that do not have cold inhibitors.

If it is P. pinea the seed germinates better if the hard shells are cracked and removed.

Top Bottom