Pine seedlings for Europe Nuts

Mihai

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Hello guys,

I was wondering if there's anyone here from Europe who has any source for Japanese black and/or white pine seedlings. I can't find anyone selling them in Romania.
Thanks in advance.

Starfox

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b

Starfox

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
Not sure really, I have never tried with pine seeds so can't say specifically.

It's probably not all that hard and most packets come with basic instructions.

Quince

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I have found all types of black pine to be really easy, and I don't do anything special. I just soak them over night, then fold into a damp paper towel seal in a plastic bag and into the fridge for a month or two. When I see some of the seeds splitting I know it's time to pot them up. I know that there are lots of people here with more experience than I, but like @Starfox said it's not all that hard. Now if I could just get my white pine seeds to cooperate...

just.wing.it

Deadwood Head
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
I have found all types of black pine to be really easy, and I don't do anything special. I just soak them over night, then fold into a damp paper towel seal in a plastic bag and into the fridge for a month or two. When I see some of the seeds splitting I know it's time to pot them up. I know that there are lots of people here with more experience than I, but like @Starfox said it's not all that hard. Now if I could just get my white pine seeds to cooperate...
Do you start them in spring?
Is it a bad idea to start some in mid summer?

just.wing.it

Deadwood Head
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
How hard are they to germinate?

Not hard at all, though they do require a cold stratification period. Most seeds come with instructions but trust me it is not complicated. One hint - before you put the seeds into cold stratification, soak them first in a 3% hydrogen peroxide solution for five minutes, then rinse in clean tap water. This will cut down significantly on potential fungus issues while in the fridge.

AlainK

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
A very reliable source I've already mentioned:

https://www.semencesdupuy.com/en/pinus-thunbergii.html

I'm pretty sure they can deliver to Romania.

6€50 + shipping (which shouldn't be expensive) for about 280 seeds is a very good price especially since, from my experience, 80% of the seeds will germinate. Stratification for 2 months at 3-5°C before sowing in the spring. Since I had so many, I also tried some with "natura" stratification: I just planted them on a pot that I left outside, the winter did the rest. The rate of germination was about the same.

Anthony

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I suspect the Japanese seeds from the Japanese firm [ comes in a pack ] are probably
pre-treated
Purchased probably 10 packs, not one needed cold -------- did soak all for 1 day however.
Germination on 30 seeds - around 25 and then nature takes over.
Good Day
Anthony

* We now use hardwood cuttings as you would have read before.

DirkvanDreven

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
made about 150 seedling cuttings from 3 different black pines this spring. Thunbergii, Nigra and Uncinata, wich in Spain is called Pino Nero.
Got my seeds also from france, semencesdupuy.com, Romania will be no problem as it's part of EU also.

AlainK

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
A very reliable source I've already mentioned:

And I grew dozens of Acer palmatum, Acer buregerianum, and also Sequoia sempervirens, Taxodium distichum, Ulmus coreana, Celtis laevis and a few others I can't name right now, but their seeds are the best one can get in Europe.

For "Acer discolor", there"s a place in the south of France : http://site.plantes-web.fr/florama/0/boutique/34655/acer_discolor.htm#.WWfnolFpwdU

Mihai

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Hello everyone, thank you for the feedback. You've convinced me to try to germinate seeds :).
As I have no previous experience with JBP, an additional question: is there any particular cultivar that I'm looking for? Anything you had particular success with? Or are they all created equal more or less?

Thanks.
Mihai

AlainK

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
Top Bottom