Pine shedding needles.

maroun.c

Omono
Reaction score
As i stated in one of my first posts i guess you have bought a tree that was already semi-dead in the first place. When it is winter they simply don't recover. Don't blame the care you gave but your ignorance when you purchased it. Don't give up. (but for this tree it will be the only option)
Very fair statement. But as Tree did have a few new needles first few months I had it then it was alive and maybe if I better watered or repoted earlier it would have made it...

maroun.c

Omono
Reaction score
Too stubborn to let anything die on me without at least trying so fwiw decided to repot in pumice.
IMAG2284.jpg
IMAG2288.jpg
IMAG2289.jpg
IMAG2316.jpg

Roots were a bit better than I expected? Still not as nice as I see on reputed trees here. Is the black root rot?

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
I don't think Miracle Max could bring this tree back from the edge. If you can believe the color from you root mass it is as though the tree has become a lump of coal.

A. Gorilla

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Have you ever kept a pruned pine branch around?

If it's brown, it was probably dead 2 weeks ago.

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
Have you ever kept a pruned pine branch around?

If it's brown, it was probably dead 2 weeks ago.

This is true most of the time, especially if the branch or tree in question looks like the one above. As close as I have ever come is with my Zombi Mugo which you guys have seen around here a number of times. The big difference my Pine never got at bad as this one which I would not get close to an open flame. It did however take two complete growing seasons to start growing again after sitting around without a hint of new growth.

DSC_0165_edited-1.jpg

YukiShiro

Chumono
Reaction score
Hennops River Valley,Gauteng,South Africa
USDA Zone
8b

Steve Kudela

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Vance, I'm confused... the OP is in Beirut, Lebanon...I'll bet dimes to dollars he's got a true Cedrus in that pot, so maybe not a gotcha?? Actually, I've seen a decent number of true cedar stock used as bonsai material... @Adair M has a very nice one.
I'd had one down here for 32 years,..a blue Atlas.... it did very well despite the humidity. But, alas it did not like the herbicide drift from 2015. It hit it just as new shoots were about an 1 1/2 long. It struggled on the rest of '15 and finally gave up the ghost in august '16.

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
The tree is dead and I would estimate it was dead 2 months ago. Nothing is gong to bring it back at this point. Sorry.

maroun.c

Omono
Reaction score
Thanks for all the info. This 8s pretty sad as it's very difficult to get pine (except local species) here. This was a Nigrus pinus and as bad as it was still cost a lot to get it. The sad part is precious owner keeps hundreds of those aged From 5 to 30 yrs old in same soil. His techniques and style is not what I read and learn but he does keep these alive. Will try to buy a pre bonsai from him so I escape the styling flaws he has or maybe get me one when I'm traveling to Europe and fly back with it.

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
It looks from the soil that you showed us the tree was kept too wet. This is a sure way to kill a pine. It's not that they cannot tolerate a lot of water, they can if they have good drainage, but this one did not. From the looks of it the tree has been wet for a very long time and has probably not dried out for at least a year. The fact that you see roots is not an indicator, the roots that I see are black and there are not white ends showing. This is the problem with growing a tree in good old garden soil. The soil breaks down becomes compacted like a brick and breeds fungus that causes the roots to rot---which appears to have happened here.

maroun.c

Omono
Reaction score
Yes was on travel most of last 6 months and it was too much rain this year which made it worse. A cedar just next to it in same soil is still going great so wondering if OK should reply and I'm nervous reporting a conifer as I hear they don't like root work...

my nellie

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
This is one of Mr. Wood's posts regarding his Zombi Pine.
... ...Here once more is my Zombi Mugo Pine. Obtained in 1985 there about and repotted in the spring. The tree almost died. It sat and sulked on my bench for two full seasons. I, at one point felt the tree was dead. At the beginning of the third season is started to grow.
Mr. Wood, I hope you don't mind my asking what was the look of needles/foliage while it "sat and sulked"
Thank you.

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
This is one of Mr. Wood's posts regarding his Zombi Pine.Mr. Wood, I hope you don't mind my asking what was the look of needles/foliage while it "sat and sulked"
Thank you.
The foliage was dull and grey looking and was making no movement at all. Some of the needles has droped off and it is was not for the fact that I had room to keep it I would have tossed it on the compost pile. The fact that the needles had not yet gone where this pine has gone, mostly on the ground, I would have pitched it.

maroun.c

Omono
Reaction score
Exactly. All this pine us taking is one pit and little space. I can still see some green on the branches and now it's in better soil. Will let it be for 1-2cyrs and see if anything comes out of it.

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
Nothing lost but the tree and something gained in knowledge.

The real bottom line is that Pines in general and conifers in particular do not do well, for the long haul in garden soil. If you look again at the image of your soil as it came out of its pot you will see that there is not a single apparently functioning root visible. You see roots but you do not see the white ends that look like Chinese noodles anywhere on the bottom of the tree. What you do see is this compacted lump of guck and a bunch of what appears to be dead--- roots.

IMAG2284.jpg

maroun.c

Omono
Reaction score
Was considering leaving a cedar I have next to it doing great in same soil to reply next year. Guess I'll go ahead and reply tomorrow. I'm afraid if messing with conifer roots as they're not as forgiving as olives that I'm used to. So will do a very conservative shallow cleanup of the roots and take out a bit of the soil and replace with pumice and clay balls. Am also setting up an automatic irrigation system as am on travel most of the time and this way I can control how much water my bonsai get. Thanks for all the replies and help.

Ali Raza

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Both trees are in regular soil the previous owner uses successfully on thousands of trees he's got. Not defending the soil but it does drain better than other regular soils I've seen. The broken down fertilizer on it is giving it this swampy look but it's not muddy at all...
Here's a closeup of the soil without fertilizer.
View attachment 135661

And a picture of the cedrus Lebanus. Not the best bonsai but I love it. I might live in Lebanon but these are hard to find and very expensive as they are protected so am very worried about the first reply am about to do and not sure if I should change the soil 100 percent or leave some.
View attachment 135664
Love that cedrus libani. Do you have any latest picture ? kindly post it.

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
Thank you. unfortunately both the Cedrus and the pine didn't make it.
trying to source a couple new ones as I love those 2 trees.
I hope you reconsider what soil you are growing these trees in. It is a shame to see such fine material perish because of something so simple. I realize obtaining the elements for a decent soil mix may not be so easy to obtain as I may think, but if you can find trees like you have shown us here you should be able to find the necessary soil elements to grow them in.

Top Bottom