Pine shedding needles.

Ali Raza

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
I hope you reconsider what soil you are growing these trees in. It is a shame to see such fine material perish because of something so simple. I realize obtaining the elements for a decent soil mix may not be so easy to obtain as I may think, but if you can find trees like you have shown us here you should be able to find the necessary soil elements to grow them in.

I got blood of many plants and tree on my hands. I was really upset back then. Now I came to know that soil was the main culprit along with improper potting technique. However I had learned a lot since after then through online search, videos and groups like bonsainut where many experts had assisted in grooming my pre-bonsai. Thank you every one for the love, kindness and valuable advice.
Many in this group do not have equal access to soil components including me or either they are far too expensive.

In this kind of situation,
1. You have to be pragmatic and develop your own methods which better suits or available to you.
2. Don't be afraid of practical you will learn new things.
3. Always share your experience so that other can learn from you.

maroun.c

Omono
Reaction score
Thanks for all the input. Weirdly soil isn't easy to find here, I was able to find pumice and few other options which I'll experiment on before venturing I to beautiful trees again. Weirdly guy I bought these from has a crazy collection (hundreds of trees) growing and living in same soil. I'm not sure if he has a better way to water and take care of those trees than I was able to but again I agree I'll need better soil.
I am able buy same and better quality trees from him but they will come in same soil and it'll take me at least 2-3 years to do a 100 percent soil change and those trees didn't make it for 2 years.

Ali Raza

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Thanks for all the input. Weirdly soil isn't easy to find here, I was able to find pumice and few other options which I'll experiment on before venturing I to beautiful trees again. Weirdly guy I bought these from has a crazy collection (hundreds of trees) growing and living in same soil. I'm not sure if he has a better way to water and take care of those trees than I was able to but again I agree I'll need better soil.
I am able buy same and better quality trees from him but they will come in same soil and it'll take me at least 2-3 years to do a 100 percent soil change and those trees didn't make it for 2 years.
What kind of soil material you got in your region ?

maroun.c

Omono
Reaction score
Basically natural soil that thy mix with some types of peat. The soil tends to not drain well as I had a lot of issues with what I though was overwatering with olives when I first started. Also the back garden where I kept the bonsais wouldn't get much sun due to shading from a side wall and a building (2-4 hours per day at noon) which I thought would be enough but as I'm struggling with many trees and roses there i believe it wasn't enough so shifting All my trees to front garden which gets more sun and is better ventilated (lower fence) so soil tends to dry a bit faster than stay humid.

maroun.c

Omono
Reaction score
I resorted to some pumice i found and some clay balls that I break into smaller pieces but in that mix Indint feel the trees are very stable in repotting and never saw good roots filling up except for lately with few olives i have success with.

Ali Raza

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Basically natural soil that thy mix with some types of peat. The soil tends to not drain well as I had a lot of issues with what I though was overwatering with olives when I first started. Also the back garden where I kept the bonsais wouldn't get much sun due to shading from a side wall and a building (2-4 hours per day at noon) which I thought would be enough but as I'm struggling with many trees and roses there i believe it wasn't enough so shifting All my trees to front garden which gets more sun and is better ventilated (lower fence) so soil tends to dry a bit faster than stay humid.
Your plants need at least 6 hours of direct light. I was also once stucked in the same situation of soil. One of the main advantage of free draining soil is that you don't have to worry about root rot. You can water them if the soil seems dry, which is more easier approach than to dry the poor draining soil.

Ali Raza

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
I resorted to some pumice i found and some clay balls that I break into smaller pieces but in that mix Indint feel the trees are very stable in repotting and never saw good roots filling up except for lately with few olives i have success with.
Do you got access to baked bricks used for construction ?

maroun.c

Omono
Reaction score
Your plants need at least 6 hours of direct light. I was also once stucked in the same situation of soil. One of the main advantage of free draining soil is that you don't have to worry about root rot. You can water them if the soil seems dry, which is more easier approach than to dry the poor draining soil.
Exactly my thought after the issues I faced last few years.

Ali Raza

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Not commonly used here but can get them. Should I just chop those to a small size and use? Use alone or mix with soil or pumice?
Bonsai soil consists of Pumice, lava rock, turface, and so the list goes on.
You acquired pumice good.
For lava rock you could use fired clay bricks.
Use gravel or construction grit or small crushed rocks (i think readily available in your region)
This mix will be inorganic.
For organic you can use peat moss or shredded pine barks or even compost.

Check your region weather and then decide the mix 70% inorganic and 30% organic. If you lives in more hot region, you can increase the organic and vice versa.
Better to always start with more inorganic and than adjust the oragnic matter depending upon plant reaction.

my nellie

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
... ...Weirdly guy I bought these from has a crazy collection (hundreds of trees) growing and living in same soil. I'm not sure if he has a better way to water and take care of those trees than I was able to but again I agree I'll need better soil... ...
You have also posted this comment again on previous posts.
May I ask if you have visited the man and had a conversation with him about your trees and his trees.
What are the similarities and/or differences in the way you take care of them?
What are the microclimate conditions in his garden and your own garden?
What are his thoughts about your trees declining and going dead?

maroun.c

Omono
Reaction score
You have also posted this comment again on previous posts.
May I ask if you have visited the man and had a conversation with him about your trees and his trees.
What are the similarities and/or differences in the way you take care of them?
What are the microclimate conditions in his garden and your own garden?
What are his thoughts about your trees declining and going dead?
Indeed went back and saw nearly the same message :)))
Hes roughly at same altitude but in a dryer area and much more open area which gets much more wind than my back garden. Discussed it with him and he seams to be dead set on the soil thing and looking at his success I couldn't really argue. He recommends a single cup of water per day and only one feeding (organics fertilizer per year only).
I will experiment with new trees in my front graden which gets better ventilated abd better Sun exposure. Once I workout a better soild and get few trees to make the transition in even tempted to compare long term with trees with his soild and his watering technique.

my nellie

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Experimenting is a safer way to get knowledge of what is appropriate for your trees in your conditions.
If you ever were able to post some pictures of his trees perhaps the comments/evaluation would lead in contradicting results.... I mean to say a tree might look good and have no health issue but this does not mean the tree would not be much better if it was given different growing conditions/regime/care....

Top Bottom