Pine species identification please

Nishant

Shohin
Reaction score
Hello All, please can you identify this species of pine? It buds back very well and has short needles. An old lady sold me as she was clearing her garden. She did not know the name of this sone yes as such.

I can see it has two needles per cluster and so likely to be a type of Scot pine and more likely to be one of the dwarf species but I could be completely wrong. It's not watereri as it's needles are green where as watereri is a little bluish needle.

Please help me identify the species / subspecies of this tree.

Attachments

• 2ADA399A-7B63-4F0B-AD0C-48D552F582D1.jpeg
    2ADA399A-7B63-4F0B-AD0C-48D552F582D1.jpeg
    327 KB · Views: 38
  • FD32CA62-B3FB-4B2E-B0C8-3D1530DD3854.jpeg
    FD32CA62-B3FB-4B2E-B0C8-3D1530DD3854.jpeg
    259.5 KB · Views: 37

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
It looks like and could be a scots but is hard to tell for sure. The best you're going to be able to do is species. Trying to ID cultivar is very difficult.

Potawatomi13

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Looks much like Pinus contorta or P. latifolia. Coast or Lodgepole pines🤔. Whatever this is do not cut off ANY of small lower branches.

Nishant

Shohin
Reaction score
Thanks all. Giving some more details. It produces just single bud mostly and some have just a second small one that why there is one branch ever and no paired branch.

It bears red pinkish flower.

Nishant

Shohin
Reaction score
Looks much like Pinus contorta or P. latifolia. Coast or Lodgepole pines🤔. Whatever this is do not cut off ANY of small lower branches.
I have wired the branches so that all the smaller branches get light. Next year these should catch up and thicken up their branch as well.

This tree originally had all its foliage on one side quite laminar. Had to "twist" the main trunk so that it comes opposite to another strong branch growing from below. They are still not fully opposite. Will do further twisting next year so as to let the cambium develop fir now.

Potawatomi13

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Whatever turns out to be give full sun especially bare side.

Top Bottom