Pine species

simon84

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Hi there friends.
Hss anyone heard or know where i can get the pine variety pinus nelsoniishaw.
It doesnt appear to have a common name, and from what little ive found on google it originates from mexico and is on the endangered list.

Thanks simon

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
If it is considered an endangered species it is probably illegal to collect, and growing from seed may be also suspect provided you could find a source for the seed.

This brings up the question: Why the interest in this tree? What about this tree leads you to believe it will make a decent bonsai?

simon84

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Hi vance, Thanks for the reply. I believe it is simular to pinus paviflora but dont know for sure. I fancied growing a different type than you normally see for bonsai, and the name holds a significance to me.
I dont see why growing from seed would be suspect as you would be helping keep the species alive.

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
Hi vance, Thanks for the reply. I believe it is simular to pinus paviflora but dont know for sure. I fancied growing a different type than you normally see for bonsai, and the name holds a significance to me.
I dont see why growing from seed would be suspect as you would be helping keep the species alive.

A number of years ago I had to put together a list of trees usable for bonsai that were native to a region of the United States covered by an organization known as MABA. In that research I discovered a species of Oak that I was latter to discover was also an endangered species and not collectible. I was also informed that it was against the law to collect the acorns as well. I don't know how the law looks on this in Mexico but I suspect that it pretty much says what ever, who ever is busting your chops at the time says it says if you get my meaning.

simon84

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
HAha i know what you mean vance.

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
HAha i know what you mean vance.

Some time ago we desired to put up a satellite TV dish, one of the old C band jobs. I went to the City to check on the code requirements for doing this. This agent of the city gave me this song and dance about this that and the other that I had to do. When push came to shove and shove came to crunch he was selling me a pile of crap, the City had no codes on the item in question, he was making things up as he went along.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
I think that species is copyrighted and in some countries it could mean the firing squad if you germinate the seeds. Although I think you just get life if the seed does not sprout.

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
I think that species is copyrighted and in some countries it could mean the firing squad if you germinate the seeds. Although I think you just get life if the seed does not sprout.

At least in this country you cannot Copy right a natural occurring organism only something that you have hybridized or cloned. As to getting shot; any country that would do this is likely not to need some copy right law to do it anyway.

Top Bottom