Pine Wiring

AndyJ

Shohin
Reaction score
Hey folks. As it’s now September and we‘ve moved into Autumn, should I start wiring my pine trees? I’ve got some Scots, JBP, JRP and JWP

Also, is it safe to wire a pine that I reported this spring? With the “one insult” rule, does that mean one insult at a time or one insult a year?

Thanks all

Andy

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I like to wire now because the meat is coming, that fall thickening that helps em stay.

If your Repot is establish and well tied in, it's probably ok, but I wouldn't wore anything that can wait.

Sorce

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
It might still be too early for JBP.

JWP might be ok if they have dropped their old needles.

For me, September thru October is JWP season. I start work on JBP once I’m done with the JWP, but in no event any earlier than late October. I can continue from then into mid winter working on JBP.

Your seasons may vary.

TomB

Omono
Reaction score
Hi Andy,
I'll mainly do my Scots pines over the winter, maybe Novemberish, but depending on when I have time.

AndyJ

Shohin
Reaction score
It might still be too early for JBP.

JWP might be ok if they have dropped their old needles.

For me, September thru October is JWP season. I start work on JBP once I’m done with the JWP, but in no event any earlier than late October. I can continue from then into mid winter working on JBP.

Your seasons may vary.

That’s great. Thanks Adair - appreciate the advice.

AndyJ

Shohin
Reaction score
Hi Andy,
I'll mainly do my Scots pines over the winter, maybe Novemberish, but depending on when I have time.

Thanks Tom. I’ll hang around a bit with the Scots then. Can you offer any advice ref the insults? One of my SP’s was repotted in spring this year. Would it be ok to wire it this November? Or should I leave it til next year?

TomB

Omono
Reaction score
Depends how healthy it is, how secure it is in the pot, how old it is, and how much wiring you plan to do. On a healthy young tree I wouldn't hesitate to do minor wiring, repositioning of shoots etc. I wouldn't do big bends though. If in doubt, play safe.

robert gardner

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
in one of the answers to why I wire 5 year old Ponderosas is because they need it to become really nice gnarly bonsai. I grew these from seed and now at 5 years old they are getting really twisty.
I would be really glad to post pictures but now being computer smart I haven't figured out how. If someone would be kind enough to explain in non computer words so that left handed74 year old
man can understand I will be really happy. Also can the directions be uploaded to my printer.
THSNKD in advanced.
Robert

August44

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
in one of the answers to why I wire 5 year old Ponderosas is because they need it to become really nice gnarly bonsai. I grew these from seed and now at 5 years old they are getting really twisty.
I would be really glad to post pictures but now being computer smart I haven't figured out how. If someone would be kind enough to explain in non computer words so that left handed74 year old
man can understand I will be really happy. Also can the directions be uploaded to my printer.
THSNKD in advanced.
Robert
Robert, where do you live. You should post all of your info under your name on the site so we know it and can respond more accurately. If you live in US, I would call you on the picture thing and guide you through it if you want. Peter

Top Bottom