Pines in gutter. Worth collecting?

jeanluc83

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
look like eastern white pine

Definitely not EWP. The bark is wrong and the needles are too compact. EWP have smooth bark for a l-o-n-g time. They also only keep their needles for ~18 months so even the young ones tend to only have needles at the end of branches.

I would go for it. Worst case you add them to the compost heap in a couple of years. Now is the time.

QuantumSparky

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
It might be my amateur tendency but I'd grab every single one. Trees growing in bad conditions against all odds and yet thriving, is one of the pillars of yamadori! If you have the time to care for them and shape them, why not collect? They're going to die sooner or later when somebody cleans those gutters out and it will have been wasted material

BrightsideB

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
If they had been black pine the trees would be worth more then the gutter. But awesome find anyway! If you collect them. Keep this thread updated with how the gutter trees do!

berzerkules

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Old thread, but I would have scooped all those trees, no second thought. Wouldn't care about the season, roots would be contained, could be done with little to no stress.

Someone would have eventually trashed them cleaning the gutter, would have just been making someone's job easier.

Tieball

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I’m thinking that the stadium would have a considerable liability concern with you climbing around, especially with permission. Unless you’re an insured gutter professional. And, if they don’t, they should.

Shallow and really long roots following the stream of water as it trickles toward the downspout.

Forrestford

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
The trees were in Virginia Beach. I moved to ct recently.
I didn’t end up collecting them… they were all loblolly pines and very uninteresting.
I thought of it as a waste of time.
I have a few loblolly I did collect. not the best trees for bonsai. I would much rather spend my time with better material.
I’m sure they’re good examples of loblolly bonsai, but these trees are not that…
Sorry to break it to ya!!

Forrestford

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I’m thinking that the stadium would have a considerable liability concern with you climbing around, especially with permission. Unless you’re an insured gutter professional. And, if they don’t, they should.

Shallow and really long roots following the stream of water as it trickles toward the downspout.
I most likely wouldn’t of gotten permission, it would of been a recon mission, under the radar.
🥷

Divide_by_zero

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
If allowed, I would grab every tree you can find, deciduous or conifer. They will be easily collected, great subjects for torture or evil experiments (i.e. learning experience) and worth every penny you pay for them. Who knows, you might even end up with one or two worth keeping???😉

Last edited:

Shogun610

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
I just blazed through the post… if it were a pitch pine or any oak / native maple I woulda been on that like Kobayashi eating a hotdog

Attachments

• 0E1A4509-CE6E-4050-A90B-91EE873CB2EC.gif
    0E1A4509-CE6E-4050-A90B-91EE873CB2EC.gif
    718.8 KB · Views: 1
D

Deleted member 38190

Hi, what's up? New pine trees? Nice.
Old thread? Nice.
Blazin' through the post? Nice.
Grabbing every tree? Nice.

Top Bottom