Pines turning crispy

JesusFreak

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8B
Don’t understand what’s going on. I’ve always been told pines don’t need much water. But it seems to me this brownish green color means they need more water. Suggestions? B718CC4F-BB44-4DDC-BDF8-07FE5A988FD9.jpeg3C49DAD5-FC25-400D-B453-C730E4505C29.jpeg888350B6-0219-4FD1-866D-BE6B42361C72.jpeg

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Once every 4-5 days

Definitely not enough. In the spring when I first bring my trees out of the cold frame, if it doesnt rain, I water every other day.
When it starts getting hotter at the end of May or June, I water every day until it cools off and we get more rain in the fall then its back to every other day. Especially if you have them in large particle soil, they need to be watered every day when it gets hot. Its probably hot enough where you are in Georgia.

You should water when the trees need it, not on a set time schedule unless you know the trees well enough to know that the schedule works.
I know with the soil I use, when it gets hot, my trees need water every day in the morning and when its very hot like 90+, Ill sometimes run the sprinklers again for 10 minutes in the late afternoon.

JesusFreak

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8B
I hope I didn’t kill them. I guess you just hear people say they don’t need to be watered much and you assume that’s the right way. So much for listening to that nonsense.

Wulfskaar

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
You can try a "chopstick" in the soil. I keep it in there like a dipstick and pull it out to check the water level. If the top part of the chopstick is wet, no water is needed. If it's dry, it's time to water.

This seems good, for the most part, because it will tell you how often to water based on your exact situation. Someone living in western WA might not need to water nearly as much as someone in GA.

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I hope I didn’t kill them. I guess you just hear people say they don’t need to be watered much and you assume that’s the right way. So much for listening to that nonsense.

Yea where ever you heard that from was wrong. Is it possible you misinterpreted it?
Pines dont like to have what we call "wet feet" meaning they dont like to be sitting in sopping wet soil but they still need to be watered!
This is why many of us use inorganic, large particle soil. While it retains moisture, it doesnt stay sopping wet.
Also with this soil it is pretty much impossible to over water and cause other issues with the roots because it drains so well.
Its also true that in general, deciduous trees like to be in soil that has a bit more moisture and they are more susceptible to drying out than pines are.

Just start watering them "when they need it" Which means water when the soil is "almost dry" Put a chopstick in each pot and monitor by pulling it out of the soil each day and looking at it. Water when the stick is almost dry. Do this for a couple of years. This will teach you what interval you need to make sure your trees have water across different seasons and weather conditions.

Last edited:

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
I water my black pines daily... twice daily if it is super hot. The issue is not how often you water them, but whether you have bad soil so that the roots sit in water. If you have an open, inorganic soil mix, it is very difficult to overwater.

If you don't know how dry the soil is, try picking up the pot. Dry soil weighs much less than wet soil. It is a good way to tell if you have soil problems because if you water the tree until water comes out of the pot, and you lift the pot and it is still light-weight, you have a problem because the water is not saturating the root ball, for one reason or other, and you need to investigate why that is the case.

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
I water my black pines daily... twice daily if it is super hot. The issue is not how often you water them, but whether you have bad soil so that the roots sit in water. If you have an open, inorganic soil mix, it is very difficult to overwater.
+1...

JesusFreak

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8B
Well dang I guess I need to be watering. Kinda hard to manage watering often and needle cast. Was hoping I’d get along with pines

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Well dang I guess I need to be watering. Kinda hard to manage watering often and needle cast. Was hoping I’d get along with pines

Just about everyone on the east coast that has pines has to water pretty much every day in the summer and treat for needle cast.
Why is that so hard for you to deal with?

Potawatomi13

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
If you have an open, inorganic soil mix, it is very difficult to overwater.
Strongly second this🧐! This is best substrate for pines and nearly impossible to over water. Water trees daily including foliage and continue unless tree becomes COMPLETELY brown. Recovery MAY be possible but with diminished number of branches:(. Do not remove any green needles. Even partially green.

"I guess you just hear people say they don’t need to be watered much and you assume that’s the right way"

These are ignorant and either do not keep Pines or have kept in H2O retentive substrate. Have seen way too many times on this forum. Lesson learned but may not be too late for your trees;).

Last edited:

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I water everyday and keep mine with "wet feet", needle cast is invited by the mind.

picking up the pot. If its damp under it it doesn't need watered. If dry...needs watered

Without more information, I wouldn't call this a very exact tell. Terra Cotta on a holey patio table will be dry underneath way before a plastic pot on a plastic table.

Sorce

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I water everyday and keep mine with "wet feet", needle cast is invited by the mind.

Without more information, I wouldn't call this a very exact tell. Terra Cotta on a holey patio table will be dry underneath way before a plastic pot on a plastic table.

Sorce
Well, I got nothing to add...since it wasn't my technique...That came from Jonas. As he sent me my JBP. He stressed most people over water pine and offered helpful tips on when to know when to water.

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
@sorce I knew I had seen a blog on the moisture under the pot. It wasn't a new concept when Jonas mentioned it. I've been pouring through his blogs way before the tree arrived on my bench.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
@sorce I knew I had seen a blog on the moisture under the pot. It wasn't a new concept when Jonas mentioned it. I've been pouring through his blogs way before the tree arrived on my bench.

That helps. He is in Florida?

I just think all that information is necessary for someone somewhere else to utilize the method.

Sorce

Top Bottom