Pines zone 7-7b

Duhjoker

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Hi guys

I recently moved to agricultural zone 7 through 7b and had to leave my japanese black pine in the care of some one who would appreciate it and take care of it properly.

I will miss my old friend.

Any way.......

I would like a new tree to love that will survive in my agricultural zone. It had to be a pine though.

Could i get some reccomendations for a new pine.

Im living in north east oklahoma for those who dont know the AZ. I was living in Galveston,Tx.

Last edited:

Duhjoker

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Well $&@#^*

I was told it would die. Oh well. I guess i can get some more babies.

Thanks guys.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Well $&@#^*

I was told it would die. Oh well. I guess i can get some more babies.

Thanks guys.

That motherfucker is not your real friend.
Did that same person lowball you an offer too?

Sounds bogus.

I hope that one sucks anyway and dies!

Get them new ones!

Sorce

BunjaeKorea

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Dude I live in equivalent to 7A and I have red and Blacks and they are all totally fine.....

Duhjoker

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Its all good.

Know any videos or tutorials for twisting trunks? Like around a pencil or something. Ive always wanted a tree with something cool like that.

I tried it once but i ended up splitting the trunk in the process. Im hoping the babies i found will be soft enough to try it again.

I found some 4 to 6 inch trees. Should i use younger trees?

I was also thinking about maybe fusing them.

Last edited:

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
splitting the trunk

Do severe wiring before watering, and even as safely into dry as you can get....like...if you normally water AM...wait till about noon to do the work....

Then water.

You can watch any number of different videos of different people wrapping different things around different things and securing them with different things to different aesthetic ends.....

Or just run with that ONE necessary piece of info into your own own artistic vision.

Perhaps wrapping seedlings around the bent arm of a Mr. potato head toy...
I've never seen that done!

Sorce

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
SE MI- Bonsai'd for 12 years both MA and N GA
USDA Zone
6a
There was an old time Bnut member here, Harry Greer, who kept some very nice bonsai in OK. He said he couldn't keep JBP because it was too dry and windy, so he stuck to junipers- Brian Van Fleet has one of Harry's junipers now. I don't remember where in OK he lived. I believed he eventually bowed out of the hobby partially because of the extra effort keeping his trees healthy. I would certainly give JBP a try, but, depending on your location, you may need to consider some wind protection as well as some afternoon shade as needed.

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
SE MI- Bonsai'd for 12 years both MA and N GA
USDA Zone
6a
There was an old time Bnut member here, Harry Greer, who kept some very nice bonsai in OK. He said he couldn't keep JBP because it was too dry and windy, so he stuck to junipers- Brian Van Fleet has one of Harry's junipers now. I don't remember where in OK he lived. I believed he eventually bowed out of the hobby partially because of the extra effort keeping his trees healthy. I would certainly give JBP a try, but, depending on your location, you may need to consider some wind protection as well as some afternoon shade as needed.
I should point out that another experienced member here, Johng, doesn't keep JBP at his location near Columbia, SC-usda zone 8, anymore. I noted their absence when I visited his garden a few years ago, and I believe he told me they were too prone to fungal issues/needle cast and never thrived, which is rather odd when you can see his garden houses a rather old and very impressive imported JWP that has been fairly healthy and vigorous there for over a decade. Anyway, just more food for thought that usda zones aren't the end all and be all when it comes to assessing the viability of certain species for bonsai.

Stan Kengai

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Its all good.

Know any videos or tutorials for twisting trunks? Like around a pencil or something. Ive always wanted a tree with something cool like that.

I tried it once but i ended up splitting the trunk in the process. Im hoping the babies i found will be soft enough to try it again.

I found some 4 to 6 inch trees. Should i use younger trees?

I was also thinking about maybe fusing them.
Jonas at bonsaitonight.com just did a blog entry of how to wire and twist young pines.

Duhjoker

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Do you have a link to jonas blog entry?

I wasnt planning on permanently fusing an object to a tree just using it as a way to shape it. Though a potato head arm woukd be hilarious.

I had an idea last night that might be cool. Take 3 babies and put a funnel on the soil then put three babies around and tie them together at the top of the funnel. Once the trees start to fuse to each other, cut away the funnel.

I worry about temperature here. It can easily get around -1F during the coldest parts of winter. But i usually bring my trees in any way when the temp gets below 40F.

My second pine in galveston was placed in the ground a few years ago so i would leave it alone and we had a bad freeze this past winter. All i did was add some mulch around the base and topped it with a pillow case. Worked just fine.

Duhjoker

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Something like this....

Attachments

• 9597F3F0-4D33-46DE-85D6-33AA394F74C1.jpeg
    9597F3F0-4D33-46DE-85D6-33AA394F74C1.jpeg
    120.8 KB · Views: 40

Duhjoker

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Can copper wire be used to bend the trunks and what not?

Also i watched a video of a guy bending the trunk of a 2yo tree and he used some kind of soaked wrap before applying the wire.

Whst is this wrap? What is it for? How come i never see it in online stores?

bonsaichile

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Can copper wire be used to bend the trunks and what not?

Also i watched a video of a guy bending the trunk of a 2yo tree and he used some kind of soaked wrap before applying the wire.

Whst is this wrap? What is it for? How come i never see it in online stores?
Yes, you should use the appropriate gauge of copper wire to bend the trunk of a pine tree. And I am guessing that soaked wrap was raffia. You can find it in most garden stores. Just soak it in water for 30 minutes or so, take three strands, tie them at the end and wrap the trunk tightly with it. It will help prevent cracking, but you still have to be careful when bending the trunk.

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Pine trunks probably won’t fuse very well. Their bark develops too quickly.

That JWP you used as an example? What you’re seeing as “trunks” were actually roots!

aml1014

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
That's pretty interesting as I live at a much much higher elevation than OK, and we are definitly hotter and dryer in summer time. Yet, somehow all the blackpines I've ever seen here do perfectly fine, even at a mile high elevation ( as we know, jbp are coastal trees). Funny enough, it's white pines that hate it here.

Aaron

Duhjoker

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
My babies came today!!!

They came from Portland, OR. The lil pots i bought didnt have center holes so i used a drill. Should make it easier to wire in a week or so once they have climatized.

Still a bit cool here so i placed them next to the bricks and used some mulch to keep them in place and for insulation.

Might need to cover them if Oklahoma’s spring doesn’t come soon.

Ive never bought saplings this young though.

Attachments

• 71DBA4F4-5CF8-4059-949D-7E361ADA351A.jpeg
    71DBA4F4-5CF8-4059-949D-7E361ADA351A.jpeg
    350.1 KB · Views: 27

Duhjoker

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I broke the top off one of my trees in the part thats really green. I split the trunk at the break then cut the broken peice into a sliver and inserted and tied it off tight.

What are my chances that it will heal and fuse back?

Top Bottom