pines

max

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I recently purchased 2 marianna pines, when I did a search it looks like it should be spelled Murrayana?
My question is: what size pot to plant these in. One tree is 27" tall with 1.25" diameter trunk. The other is 24" tall with a 1.25" diameter trunk. I have been told they are approximately 16 years old.
Suggestions & ideas would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks, Max

bonsaiTOM

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
What are they in now? The root ball might need to be reduced in stages over a few years. With most pines you do not go directly from nursery pot to bonsai pot for this reason. Yours may need 'training' pots first. The proper season to re pot is another important issue to consider.

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
How about some photos, and a little information about your location, and your plans for the trees? This will help ensure you get the best guidance on potting...

treebeard55

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5A
First, welcome to the forum!

Second, what Brian said. :)

Third, I've never heard of "Pinus mariana." A quick search showed that "Murrayana" pine is a variety of Pinus contorta. Just to be sure, tho, could they be Picea mariana, black spruce?

max

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I am not sure how to do pictures on this forum. Hope this turns out.
Max

max

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Oops, guess that did not work. How do you send a picture?
Max

max

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
1 The pines are in a 5 gallon black plastic nursery bucket. They have been in the bucket 3-5 years. Plants are estimated to be approx 16 years old. My location is Prineville Oregon at an elevation of 3800 feet. I am outside of Prineville.
2 The 27" tall pine, has a straight trunk. I would like to make it into a nice looking mature tree. The 24" pine has a twisted trunk. I would like to try doing jin to it.
3 The spelling is Murrayana. I am told it is a contorted lodgepole pine which grows native in my area.
Thanks, Max

misfit11

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
1 The pines are in a 5 gallon black plastic nursery bucket. They have been in the bucket 3-5 years. Plants are estimated to be approx 16 years old. My location is Prineville Oregon at an elevation of 3800 feet. I am outside of Prineville.
2 The 27" tall pine, has a straight trunk. I would like to make it into a nice looking mature tree. The 24" pine has a twisted trunk. I would like to try doing jin to it.
3 The spelling is Murrayana. I am told it is a contorted lodgepole pine which grows native in my area.
Thanks, Max

Depending on where you live, it may be Pinus contorta ssp contorta or the Shore Pine. But you are correct, Pinus contorta ssp murrayana is the Lodgepole pine. They are the same species but different subspecies. Lodgepole pine grows very straight and tall, hence, "lodgepole" which was used by native americans for teepees. Shore pine can be twisted and contorted due to the habitat in which they grow where ocean winds are constantly battering them.

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
This graphic should help you post photos...

Attachments

• Attaching photos.jpg
    Attaching photos.jpg
    188 KB · Views: 25

max

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
pine

test 2 did that work

Attachments

• 001.jpg
    001.jpg
    194.2 KB · Views: 34

max

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Thank you very much for that thumbnail. it worked.

Attachments

• 004.jpg
    004.jpg
    201.3 KB · Views: 34
  • 008.jpg
    008.jpg
    188.1 KB · Views: 36
Top Bottom