Pink Lady Flowering Quince 3-17-10

fredtruck

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Following the link below will take you to a 2D picture of my Pink Lady Flowering Quince. It is in its second flush of flowers now. If conditions are right, it may keep blooming until August, though usually it stops in May or June.

I have had this tree since 2002. If you know the book, The Art of Flowering Bonsai by Peter D. Adams, you'll recall in the quince section he has a Pink Lady. That tree was what prompted me to buy this one.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/32652998@N04/4444492824/

As noted, this link will take you to a 2D picture of my tree. There you will find a link to a 3D version of the same image. You will need red/cyan glasses for that one. 3D images are excellent for showing branch structure, but not so good for showing red. For color, go to the 2D.

bonhe

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hi Fredtruck, like I said in your first post, it is very nice tree you have. Now, since you said you was affected by Peter Adams' tree, I let you see this Japanese flowering quince and you may want to get it. It has 3 kind of flower colors. I really like the white one with some pink stripes. It reminds me satsuki flower:) Bonhe
p/s: it's not mine, however, its owner promised that he would air-layer it for me :)

DSC_1216.jpg

DSC_1217.jpg

DSC_1215.jpg

DSC_1214.jpg

milehigh_7

Mister 500,000
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hot
Beautiful you two!! I so love Chaenomeles! I have five varieties: Contorted Salmon Pink, 'Hime', 'Iwai Nishiki', 'Not Minerva' and the one you spoke of Bonhe, Toyo Nishiki.

I pulled off all buds this year to encourage more growth. :(

mcpesq817

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I pulled off all buds this year to encourage more growth. :(

Is it necessary to pull off the flower buds? I know this is recommended for azaleas, but quince seem to be very hardy trees that can take a lot of stress. To me it seems the most important thing to do to avoid draining the energy of the tree is to remove suckers as soon as you can.

I love quince too - I've got a bunch of cultivars that I've purchased from Brent and others. The fact that they flower in late winter is a nice announcement that spring is around the corner.

milehigh_7

Mister 500,000
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hot
Is it necessary to pull off the flower buds? I know this is recommended for azaleas, but quince seem to be very hardy trees that can take a lot of stress. To me it seems the most important thing to do to avoid draining the energy of the tree is to remove suckers as soon as you can.

I love quince too - I've got a bunch of cultivars that I've purchased from Brent and others. The fact that they flower in late winter is a nice announcement that spring is around the corner.

I am no expert so hopefully someone that is will chime in to answer that. I have heard that for maximum growth, one should not allow flowers and fruit. Maybe someone would put up a little "best practices" list for Quince.

Top Bottom