Pink Lady Flowering Quince

Attila Soos

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
In my experience, quince trunks hardly thicken at all.

Yep, frustrating, isn't it. Such a fast-growing species, and no thickening whatsoever.
I have several in the ground, and they never bulk up, after so many years. I think the mistake I made is that I kept pruning them, just like the other trees.
I have a new plan for them this year: I will leave only 3-5 trunks, and let them grow as long as they can - even 6 feet long,without pruning them at all. The only thing I will prune is the shoots from the base.

Ron Dennis

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7B
It's not the same cultivar, but I have a quite similar plan. You might consider a windswept for yours -- which is stunning, BTW.

And here's a "softer" pot?????

Stunning. Would you share more about this tree, please.

Ron Dennis

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7B
There have been some interesting flowering quinces posted here recently, so I thought I would add my Pink Lady to the stream. Pink Lady is a cross between Japonica and the species. It has been the consistently heaviest bloomer I have. In my possession since 2002, its gangly, sprawling nature has presented a styling challenge. It is very slow to ramify, so my current goal is to get the tree to ramify so some of the open spaces are filled.

Beautiful. I am envious.

jk_lewis

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7-8
Stunning. Would you share more about this tree, please.

Not a lot to say. It is a cutting, struck in 2002 from a larger bonsai. It didn't amount to much until I saw the windswept in it 3-4 years ago. That picture is from last winter. It and its parent, a cascade, is just about to bloom for this year. It is a bit larger now.

iant

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9B
I actually think the pot works very well. I know it's not traditional style. The direction of the windswept character is up to the right in a fairly angular way and I like the way it matches the angular nature of the pot.

rich415

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
In my experience, quince trunks hardly thicken at all. I have one clump that is approaching 90 years old (that I'll be posting later this winter) and I think the thickest trunk of the bunch is .75". I've seen pictures of single-trunk quinces that have trunks that are thicker, but those are very rare, I think.

Fred,

Here is a pretty big quince that I just picked up 6 weeks ago. Both trunks are about an inch. It is supposed to have red flowers. I'm not sure on the age but guy I bought it from guessed onle around 20-25. he bought it off someone else.

Richbig quince.jpg

fredtruck

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I'm sure there are lots of variations. You're lucky to have those heavy trunks.

Top Bottom