Pinus aristata

Potawatomi13

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
If opportunity presents grow sacrifice trunk on chopped tree. At least set back is not fatal one;). May need to stake up taller tree in Winter if snow comes. Grow grow grow little trees☺️. Would love to see any bodys Bristlecone with 4" or bigger trunk some day.

Cruiser

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
1691993920732.jpeg

Death. The trunk-chopped pine.
All that pretty, densely-packed needlemass became a problem when the rains returned in winter ‘22. It created ideal conditions for fungus. It should have been thinned in the Fall.

I like where the composition was heading and plan to keep it. The new plan is to create a windswept snag high upon a mountain.

MaciekA

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
This bristlecone went from nursery pot to bonsai pot and did a big trunk chop in about one third of the time that it took my bristlecone to go from nursery pot to recovered from * half * a repot into a pond basket with no major reduction. I am not sure that fungus is the takeaway, FWIW.

Cruiser

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
This bristlecone went from nursery pot to bonsai pot and did a big trunk chop in about one third of the time that it took my bristlecone to go from nursery pot to recovered from * half * a repot into a pond basket with no major reduction. I am not sure that fungus is the takeaway, FWIW.
To clarify, the tree was already dying when it went into the shallow pot (late winter ‘22). Writing was on the wall.

Growth response to the trunk chop in Spring ‘21 was strong. The tree was healthy going into Fall last year.

0soyoung

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I grow most everything in Turface MVP, but have experienced trouble with lodgepoles (in general) and other pines in shallower pots. I moved those that I had not yet killed into quarter-inch pumice last year and they are all doing much better now. I dunno what you were using in your shallower pot, but a larger grained substrate might be better, next time.

Potawatomi13

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
View attachment 502774

Death. The trunk-chopped pine.
All that pretty, densely-packed needlemass became a problem when the rains returned in winter ‘22. It created ideal conditions for fungus. It should have been thinned in the Fall.

I like where the composition was heading and plan to keep it. The new plan is to create a windswept snag high upon a mountain.
Personally have NEVER thinned/pulled needles except dead ones. Since 1995 never a fungus problem here. One semi major pruning in 28 years is extent of thinning🤨. Documented thinning elsewhere this site.

Cruiser

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
I grow most everything in Turface MVP, but have experienced trouble with lodgepoles (in general) and other pines in shallower pots. I moved those that I had not yet killed into quarter-inch pumice last year and they are all doing much better now. I dunno what you were using in your shallower pot, but a larger grained substrate might be better, next time.
Good to know going forward.

The shallow pot contains DE and pumice. The tree was already in the process of dying when it went in, so I’m sure it was not the substrate or repot that killed it; although it likely sped things up.

This is what was killing the tree..
1692119588212.jpeg
It had progressed from the interior and was spreading into last years needles all throughout the tree. No healthy buds were left to grow this year. Those that had formed last season had desiccated.
1692119733042.jpeg

Top Bottom