Pinus banksiana

bonsaichile

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Hey guys! I got a nice Pinus banksiana from the nursery. It is in that horrible nursery soil and in a burlap bag. Should I slip pot it into an NAPA 1020 and pumice mix? Or is it too late and should I wait until next spring? Any help is appreciated!

makarovnik

Mame
Reaction score
Just don't do any root work.

I did a slip pot on a vitex I recieved a 2 months ago and it is doing great.

It would be better than a burlap sack anyways

bonsaichile

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Thank you, Makarovnik. I am not planning to do any root work, but I read somewhere that Jack Pines are finicky when it comes down to root pruning. That's why I was asking. It is a nice tree and set me back around $80, so I don't want to kill it immediately!

M. Frary

Bonsai Godzilla
Reaction score
USDA Zone
You need to realize that these trees are very underutilized for bonsai.
There aren't many people that have them.
And fewer that can keep them alive.
I've never seen one in a nursery.
They grow wild here and are planted for habitat for Kirtlands Warbler.
I have a couple I've collected and there are others from Michigan and Minnesota that have started using them.
They don't like too much fooling around with their roots but it can be done.
Slowly. There isn't enough information on them at the moment.

0soyoung

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Hey guys! I got a nice Pinus banksiana from the nursery. It is in that horrible nursery soil and in a burlap bag. Should I slip pot it into an NAPA 1020 and pumice mix? Or is it too late and should I wait until next spring? Any help is appreciated!
Bare root half this August. Put it in a pot filled all around with your favorite substrate. If it is really healthy, you can bare root the other half next spring; otherwise wait until next August or spring 2019 to finish the job.

Waltron

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Copy on what Mike said, huge potential with the species. I/We (Mike and Vance)think that vances mugo schedule is a good avenue. I have 3 collected last year from July 1st through 10th. All 3 are growing healthily down here in southern Michigan. I just took a trip last week to jack pine country where Mike lives, and they seem to be about a month behind mine growth wise up there. I've spoke with Jack Wikle about them, as I plan to do reductions to all 3 in July, but jack thinks that anytime now is a good time for the reduction. He mentioned " I'm pretty sure you can cut into any wood(even two or three years old or older) still bearing live needles with the exception that buds will break from bases of needle pairs remaining below your cut, the production of new buds will not be immediate but will become apparent over the next few months." While I'm on the topic I'll mention that Adair says to "treat them like a 2 needle pine" also Matt Spinnikin told me that his teacher who was mentord by Jack Wikle, is very successful with the species.

Here's a photo of a tree I had marked from last year I went to say hi to this weekend. much to large, but I would love to have this one in my yard.. other great old smaller ones around it but their roots run too deep in this areato collect. The ones I collected all had shallow root systems fyi.

Attachments

• IMG_9503.JPG
    IMG_9503.JPG
    659.1 KB · Views: 93
  • IMG_9504.JPG
    IMG_9504.JPG
    660.7 KB · Views: 96

bonsaichile

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Thank you for your replies! @Waltron , I read an interview with Jack Winkle about Jack pines. Very informative. When you say treat it like a 2-needle pine, you mean like a single-flush pine? Or like JBP?

@Osoyoung, thanks! I will repot it in August, into a colander most likely.

@M.Frary, I know they are not very common as bonsai, but I saw its twisted trunk in the nursery, and thought, "Why not!"

Here is a pic of the tree in question. It is young. Approximately 30" long, with 1.5 inch trunk caliper at the graft (which is low).

20170612_170146.jpg

Reaction score
USDA Zone
4b
Thank you for your replies! @Waltron , I read an interview with Jack Winkle about Jack pines. Very informative. When you say treat it like a 2-needle pine, you mean like a single-flush pine? Or like JBP?

@M.Frary, I know they are not very common as bonsai, but I saw its twisted trunk in the nursery, and thought, "Why not!"

Here is a pic of the tree in question. It is young. Approximately 30" long, with 1.5 inch trunk caliper at the graft (which is low).

View attachment 149080
do you know where I can read this interview with jack Winkle about jack pines?

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b

View attachment 149080

Your tree if I had to bet would be Jack pine 'Uncle Fogey' - Pinus banksiana 'Uncle Fogey',
It has a meandering or contorted habit. It is not really a dwarf, it will get quite large in the ground. A good one. I would jump on that, even if the graft is not perfect. Assume the understock is either Pinus nigra or Pinus sylvestris unless the nursery knows otherwise.

Potentially very interesting material.

I have 2 grafted P. banksiana, named cultivars, one from witches broom, one a genetic dwarf. I also have a dozen seedlings, oldest being about 5 years. I am also following Vance Wood's mugo calendar for work. Though I do save bud and branch pruning for August. I don't do anything from spring to end of July.

They do love sun. Full sun.

bonsaichile

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Your tree if I had to bet would be Jack pine 'Uncle Fogey' - Pinus banksiana 'Uncle Fogey',
It has a meandering or contorted habit. It is not really a dwarf, it will get quite large in the ground. A good one. I would jump on that, even if the graft is not perfect. Assume the understock is either Pinus nigra or Pinus sylvestris unless the nursery knows otherwise.

Potentially very interesting material.

I have 2 grafted P. banksiana, named cultivars, one from witches broom, one a genetic dwarf. I also have a dozen seedlings, oldest being about 5 years. I am also following Vance Wood's mugo calendar for work. Though I do save bud and branch pruning for August. I don't do anything from spring to end of July.

They do love sun. Full sun.
Alas, it was a victim of our winter. Sadly, because the nursery that carried them closed down earlier this year.

Top Bottom