Pinus canariensis - advice needed

MichaelS

Masterpiece
Reaction score
P. canariensis is actually most closely related to Pinus Roxburghii, a pine tree species from the Himalayas.

Not so much with the other Mediterranean pine trees, Pinus pinea being accepted as the closest.
Thanks. All the Mediterranean pines are in the section Pinaster . Roxburghii too, but it's leaves are obviously too long. Halepensis is the only one I have access to with relatively short needles and doesn't throw back to juvenile needles.

MichaelS

Masterpiece
Reaction score
Explain how removing trees native foliage is fair to the tree please?
I don't like the idea of not letting the tree produce adult foliage by pinching it out. Why? It's just a personal feeling. Probably stupid but there you are.
I don't like the look of the juvenile foliage either.
Grafting a tree doesn't bother me. Go figure....

I don't think we are talking about commandments though. :)

Reaction score
USDA Zone
11B
I dont like working with juvenile needles trees also but with the Canariensis its pretty much the only way without a massive trunk and even with that its not easy, for example a lot of dwarf and comercial conifer cultivars (many of them used in bonsai) display only juvenile foliage, for me the Canariensis juvenile needles are quite atracctive with that almost spruce like blue color

Potawatomi13

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I don't like the idea of not letting the tree produce adult foliage by pinching it out. Why? It's just a personal feeling. Probably stupid but there you are.
I don't like the look of the juvenile foliage either.
Grafting a tree doesn't bother me. Go figure....

I don't think we are talking about commandments though. :)
Personally have 5 needle Arizona Pine that as Yamadori had 2 1/2 - 3" needles. Under development now has fine 6-7" needles but GREAT ramification developing. Believe will be able to reduce needles again when refinement time comes. Fortunately does not revert to immature foliage☺️. Seems should be able to do same with Canary Is. pine.

Fidur

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
A little update.
I repoted in July, and the tree is healthy and growing (it's been so since I have it).
I have been pruning usually and in each cut I use to get 2-3 new branches. I guess it will slow down a bit in winter, but right now is growing strong.
There is no great nebari, but I hope to get some in the next years. For now I am branching it, and giving some shape to the trunk (It's hard to keep bendings):

JMK_0558.jpg JMK_0560.jpg JMK_0561.jpg

I prefer to watch it with this provisional tanuki

JMK_0544.jpg JMK_0545.jpg

Ruddigger

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
Looks like its doing well. I purchased a couple Canaries from a local nursery for a steal after I last posted in this thread. They were big, about 12’ tall, and I chopped em down to about 2’ right there in the nursery and took them home. One died, but that was because my sprinkler wasnt working and I didnt notice. The other is still doing well and backbudded profusely. Still not sure if I want to keep it native or graft JBP.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
11B
Looks like its doing well. I purchased a couple Canaries from a local nursery for a steal after I last posted in this thread. They were big, about 12’ tall, and I chopped em down to about 2’ right there in the nursery and took them home. One died, but that was because my sprinkler wasnt working and I didnt notice. The other is still doing well and backbudded profusely. Still not sure if I want to keep it native or graft JBP.
Graft it if you want adult foliage, with JWP or JBP, I think Naka bought big P. canariensis in the nurserys, chopped them down and graft with better foliage

Fidur

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Update: I've finally decided to keep this pine on juvenile foliage. The adult one is deeper green but with 10-20 cm long needles.
As you can see, the former first branch is now the main trunk. I think it will be an attractive sohin in 5 years.

JMK_1918.jpg JMK_1921.jpg

Top Bottom