Pinus Cembra (Swiss Stone Pine)

PierreR

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
2a
As a replacement to a Larch I returned, I picked this up. Seemed to have much tighter branches than some of the others I looked at. All the Mugo's here looked a mess. 10 to 15 lesser trunks, no central leader. I have a Scots, and a Jack, and a Scots "Jeremy", so thought I would get a different one.
0E2C9993-1F71-46D1-8433-31A2CA075646_zps8csfyamb.jpg

395B81B3-BAE0-4940-A176-19F8785CF604_zpsrza35rzx.jpg

0soyoung

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Why, yes, which is the fundamental way to treat all pines.

Presume it does not back bud. Therefore, the only way to keep the foliage from just walking away from the trunk is to prune part or most of the new shoot after it has hardened, which will induce fascicular budding (buds at the bases of the needle bundles) on any specie of pine. Candles can be broken about the time the needle scales lift (start to express needles) in the spring to 'balance vigor'.

Since branches are largely autonomous, you can experiment on a branch or two to see how it responds to other techniques that you might like to use if it (p. cembra) responds favorably.

jk_lewis

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7-8
I don't do pines, but have been told that these are less than ideal candidates.

aml1014

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I'm planning on buying the silveray wisp swiss stone soon hope to see how yours progresses

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
Most five needle Pines are difficult. They demand a more precise execution of technique that the two needle Pines. I have a few but I am not expert enough with them to be offering the kind of advise I am used to giving. Five needle Pines are suseptable to a host of diseases and not too tolerant of poor care.

qwade

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I've had a dwarf cultivar 'Pygmaea'. for about 2 years now. This thing is a slow grower. Buds put out less than 1" of growth in a year. Seems very hardy. No problems. Grows in an unprotected pot. So I would have to disagree with jkl's assessment. This species should do well in container culture. I really like the one you picked. Trunk looks very nice already. Hard to tell from the pic but it looks to have a very well done graft. My tree is going to take a while to grow to a desirably size. Good luck with yours tree.

Top Bottom