Pinus Cembra

LunaticTree

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hello,

I wanted to update you all on my little Nurserystock I so happened to get the last few years!

I got my hands on a few Pinus Cembra from a local nursery that gives them away for 10€ each.
Was hard to resist not to get all of them! So I picked a few that I liked and let them stay in the Garden for 2 years, some of them have been "decandeled" so they look a bit rough. All are healthy except one, that has mealy bugs and it is really hard to get rid of them.
I will have to continue spraying it with special Chemicals to get rid of them entirely, as the normal remedys with soapy water just didnt do the trick.

I have one Tree in particular that I like very much, it is a bit taller with the crown but I just love how it looks already.

Any suggestions how one does style them? I am completely new when it comes to forming Pines in general.
Maybe one of you has experience when it comes to first styling!
Btw they are very nice and smell awesome.

Attachments

• IMG_20220607_103212.jpg
    IMG_20220607_103212.jpg
    229.9 KB · Views: 95
  • IMG_20220607_103221.jpg
    IMG_20220607_103221.jpg
    243.4 KB · Views: 67
  • IMG_20220607_103851.jpg
    IMG_20220607_103851.jpg
    212.6 KB · Views: 63
  • IMG_20220607_103857.jpg
    IMG_20220607_103857.jpg
    218.6 KB · Views: 56
  • IMG_20220607_103906.jpg
    IMG_20220607_103906.jpg
    227.9 KB · Views: 54
  • IMG_20220607_103912.jpg
    IMG_20220607_103912.jpg
    215.7 KB · Views: 56
  • IMG_20220607_103923.jpg
    IMG_20220607_103923.jpg
    206 KB · Views: 76

Potawatomi13

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Mealy bugs:mad:! Have used insecticidal soap for these. Spray very well. If not gone after 1.5 weeks spray again. After 1.5 more weeks if not gone spray again but if gone Hot diggedy Dog🥳!

LunaticTree

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Mealy bugs:mad:! Have used insecticidal soap for these. Spray very well. If not gone after 1.5 weeks spray again. After 1.5 more weeks if not gone spray again but if gone Hot diggedy Dog🥳!
Insecticidal soap? Didnt knew that was a thing, new to me!

I have a special spray now that is a bit more on the stronger side. Just need to spray spray and spray... damm Mealy bugs sure are hard to get rid of!

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
The exit angle of the branches seem right cooperative, or were they wired?

I'd style them like they cost more than 10€!

But seriously....
With the pests sapping some energy, I'd like to see you "recandle" them🤔.

I think it's(decandling) a move that will pay off in the long run, but there seems to be a little more "detailed" or "purposeful" moves you could have made to work towards goals faster with more energy, and more balanced distribution for further grow out.

You know how they say, "one move a year" or whatever....
I consider pests a "move", oh...an "insult", one insult per season.
So that should keep you from working them too hard till you get the problem fixed.

It's kinda like having 2 roads to drive to work, and Always choosing the one with spike strips that flatten your tires. You'll get to work everyday, but it's a bitch. Gotta get rid of them pests, not for the sake of getting rid of the pests, but as a sign to you the tree is more healthy.

Of course, your name isn't "SanePerson Tree".
So I'm fully with you!

Sorce

LunaticTree

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
The exit angle of the branches seem right cooperative, or were they wired?

I'd style them like they cost more than 10€!

But seriously....
With the pests sapping some energy, I'd like to see you "recandle" them🤔.

I think it's(decandling) a move that will pay off in the long run, but there seems to be a little more "detailed" or "purposeful" moves you could have made to work towards goals faster with more energy, and more balanced distribution for further grow out.

You know how they say, "one move a year" or whatever....
I consider pests a "move", oh...an "insult", one insult per season.
So that should keep you from working them too hard till you get the problem fixed.

It's kinda like having 2 roads to drive to work, and Always choosing the one with spike strips that flatten your tires. You'll get to work everyday, but it's a bitch. Gotta get rid of them pests, not for the sake of getting rid of the pests, but as a sign to you the tree is more healthy.

Of course, your name isn't "SanePerson Tree".
So I'm fully with you!

Sorce
Onle one of them has the mealy bugs. Pinus cembra is a bit more annoying to get to backbud, so decandeling/plucking needles is the only way to stop the branches from wandering away :)
The "recandeling" works pretty nice the following year, that one akward looking Tree that has no real shape for example, the Needles are perfectly short and super dense/healthy! Did not pluck any of the needles this year because it looks pretty and backbuds a lot right now!

None of them have ben wired just yet, as they grow so slow 😂 The Taller one I will most likely bend where it is leaning to and make a smi cascade, tho I could also bend it over a rock.
Ultimately I am not quite sure just yet, especialy with the other ones that dont really show me what way they go.

"I'd style them like they cost more than 10€!" My man! If I would have the money I would buy their entire Stock!.... But even my Garden has its limits...
Funny enough, the Guy that sells them knows well that he could charge me 50€ for it... Just because it is a hard to come by Tree around here.

But the mealybugproblem is a current one, and luckily it is only that 1 Tree that has them and I didnt dare to pluck any of the Needles on it, insetad I sprayed the hell out of it in hopes to finaly get rid of them!🤣

My english is not very good so I hope you can understand my glibberish!

LunaticTree

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Just fine!

As crazy people go, I could play unicorn and you could play spicy racoon and we would understand everything! 🤣

Sorce
You are right! I will post update when I start to wire one of the Trees. They look pretty without wire already!
Wonder what can be achieved with wire!

Potawatomi13

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Insecticidal soap? Didnt knew that was a thing, new to me!

I have a special spray now that is a bit more on the stronger side. Just need to spray spray and spray... damm Mealy bugs sure are hard to get rid of!
🤔Hmm. With Europes poisons laws would have thought this was in common use over there. Generally just a kind of soap that smothers the bugs. Not really poisonous and generally 2 applications does the job.

LunaticTree

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
🤔Hmm. With Europes poisons laws would have thought this was in common use over there. Generally just a kind of soap that smothers the bugs. Not really poisonous and generally 2 applications does the job.

It is possible we sell it here, but if you go in a shop that sells it you cant get it, you need a salesman to give it to you after he asks you a bunch of questons what you will do with it. It is a weird system the yimplemented like 5 years ago I think... Aperently it is to prevent people from using it to much without much thinking.

Do you have a Brand name by any chance? So I can see if i can get my hands on it the next time I am in a shop!

Potawatomi13

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Mine is Whitney Farms brand also Saferbrand, Kirks, Garden Safe, Bonide, Natria, Harris, Bioadvanced, VPG Natural Guard, Epsoma, Neem Oil. Likely others. These came from Amazon.com if having trouble with local shops. Hope it helps;). Personal caution: Keep deciduous from hot Sun until bugs gone and tree at least partly washed off if on tender or new leaves. Pines once hardened off should be OK in Sun.

LunaticTree

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Mine is Whitney Farms brand also Saferbrand, Kirks, Garden Safe, Bonide, Natria, Harris, Bioadvanced, VPG Natural Guard, Epsoma, Neem Oil. Likely others. These came from Amazon.com if having trouble with local shops. Hope it helps;). Personal caution: Keep deciduous from hot Sun until bugs gone and tree at least partly washed off if on tender or new leaves. Pines once hardened off should be OK in Sun.
Thank you a lot! I will have to look into it now!

LunaticTree

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
They respond nicely to such radical pruning, so no worries!

Attachments

• IMG_20220626_182215.jpg
    IMG_20220626_182215.jpg
    253.7 KB · Views: 47

LunaticTree

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Another Update to the one I posted last year
Did a good job at rebuddiding and is strogn healthy!

Attachments

• IMG_20220702_205453.jpg
    IMG_20220702_205453.jpg
    244.2 KB · Views: 41
Top Bottom