Pinus clausa (Sand Pine)

miker

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I remember a few members on here trying this species for bonsai. Any updates? I had many times noted its characteristics as appearing to be suitable for bonsai when seeing stands growing on sandy soils in the Orlando area. Though the species has a limited natural distribution in the wild (USDA zones 8-9), I have seen some evidence that it could be adaptable to warmer zone 7 areas, and I speculate that it could also succeed in "colder" zone 10 areas of Texas and Florida, such as Fort Myers, Florida and Brownsville, Texas.

I may have expected just a bit too much from my Pinus clausa in a cold zone 7, however, as it has suddenly started to appear unhealthy, weak and have some dieback in the past month, after doing reasonably well in SE Pennsylvania for just over a year. I think (perhaps obviously) the cold conditions, relative lack of summer heat and short growing season are to blame.

20171108_180831_HDR.jpg
Didn't realize the picture came out that badly^^^

Going forward, I am going to treat my tree like a subtropical and give it as much light as possible or I may just mail it to my dad in Florida if not too pricey. Obviously, I do NOT recommend keeping pines of any species indoors for extended periods.

The bottom line, sand pine is not likely to succeed in zone 7a, though I would give it a serious look if I were in the DC area. I hope this thread can showcase some healthy pines of this species.

miker

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Dead. Likely for zone 8 and higher climates only. Who'd have thought?<sarcasm>20171226_185017.jpg

Did not make it being babied in a sunny southern window for the winter either.

GGB

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Damn, I wanted to try that species

Top Bottom