Pinus Cortorta (Shore Pine) #1

Orion_metalhead

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Recieved as a gift from another local member who was cleaning out collection a bit.

Was wired last fall. Current picture will be the front. Letting grow out this year, just some basic maintenance and upkeep. I dont think it was recieving enough sun at original owners place.

Feel free to give advice, thoughts, etc. Just want to get it healthy this year and get some good.growth.

20200411_161524.jpg
20200411_163308.jpg
20200329_132008.jpg
20200411_161532.jpg

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
Did the previous owner do the wiring? I've seen your wiring on other trees has been much better.

The trunk line, leaning toward the viewer is good, logical front.

The branches are "all wrong", in that everything seems to be "running away" from the viewer. The branches look tangled from this front.

I think you could take that main upper branch that goes backward and down, and instead, bring it up and over the 2 cut stubs. Have it finish toward the viewer, over the main trunk.

I'm not real good designing from a photo. Please don't be offended. It might look different in person. The tree looks reasonably healthy, though sparse, so you are probably right, not enough sunlight.

I like shore pines, they are worth working with. It may take a couple years, but it could become nice. I like the nebari and the first segment of the trunk.

Orion_metalhead

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Leo, the wirng was done by another club member at a workshop but the lines were my decision.

I cam see how it appears tangled, and it is. Because it wasnt as healthy and vigorous as Id like it to be, I didnt remove many branches. There are branches interior which need to be cleaned but are also the healthier branches so I need them for now to fuel growth.

I like the nebari as well. Tree needs repotting with this front... not sure how healthy the roots are. Ultimate styling goal:

20200412_175338.jpg

The nub out front will become deadwood. Apex needs to come down and forward as you mentioned. The lower branch sweeps down and forward slightly with the lower branches from it. Need to chase foliage back. There are some buds with look healthy enough to cut back to if the tree grows better this year with the full sun in the yard.

BonsaiDawg

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Recieved as a gift from another local member who was cleaning out collection a bit.

Was wired last fall. Current picture will be the front. Letting grow out this year, just some basic maintenance and upkeep. I dont think it was recieving enough sun at original owners place.

Feel free to give advice, thoughts, etc. Just want to get it healthy this year and get some good.growth.

View attachment 295400
View attachment 295403
View attachment 295402
View attachment 295401
Beautiful tree w potential but isn't this a mess---it's previous owner was probably not the best w their wiring or the styling. What style do you envision? AoOtherwise a solid little tree you have

Orion_metalhead

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
This tree wasnt healthy when it was wired, so the person at the club witg me didnt go crazy. It didnt have much foliage, leggy limp branches, etc. The wiring was done just to get some light and a basic idea set. Ill take some better pictures later. I think with proper growth and care, it will make a beautiful tree in the long run. See my above sketch for my styling.

BonsaiDawg

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
This tree wasnt healthy when it was wired, so the person at the club witg me didnt go crazy. It didnt have much foliage, leggy limp branches, etc. The wiring was done just to get some light and a basic idea set. Ill take some better pictures later. I think with proper growth and care, it will make a beautiful tree in the long run. See my above sketch for my styling.

LOVE your sketch... That would be very nice. Have fun with this tree✌️

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
I do think the virtual sketch could work out fine. You have a good plan for the tree.

I would consider just taking all that wire off. Let the tree relax and grow and get healthy for a year, or two. Then in 2021 or 2022 go back and wire. But that is my thought. The wiring is done, no need to rush to change it. Pines stay flexible for quite a while. You can usually fix any "bad choices" the previous owner made even several years down the road. Hopefully you will get more back budding.

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Gotta say, that wire is a mess! But, that’s easily fixed! Shore pines make great bonsai! I don’t have one myself, but I’ve seen some beauties!

If it were my tree, I’d try to get some soil over those surface roots so they don’t dry up and die on you. The branch structure you can fix in time.

Orion_metalhead

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Ill probably take off wire if I notice it biting in. Ill hold off on the rest. Theres enough room for the tree to grow into it. That was my plan at least. Being careful to not do too much to this tree at the moment.

Orion_metalhead

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Gotta say, that wire is a mess! But, that’s easily fixed! Shore pines make great bonsai! I don’t have one myself, but I’ve seen some beauties!

If it were my tree, I’d try to get some soil over those surface roots so they don’t dry up and die on you. The branch structure you can fix in time.

Thanks Adair. That's a good recommendation.

Potawatomi13

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Completely agree with letting grow/strengthen for one or two years. Still enough left for a good tree however(one personal concession to "rules" I agree with)several obvious bar branches present to deal with. Recently had to deal with this on Yamadori pine from Cho Bonsai. Seemed hard(very hard):eek:to choose at time but afterwards and with new ramifying buds growing am very happy to have done so:cool:.

Orion_metalhead

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Agree. I have a few branches marked for removal which should really help clean up the tree. Ill see how the tree grows this year. I may take some of them off depending on growth.

River's Edge

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Agree. I have a few branches marked for removal which should really help clean up the tree. Ill see how the tree grows this year. I may take some of them off depending on growth.
Ignore my advice if you don't like it. But, this is the fastest way to kill a shore pine. They need to be stronger with more foliage before wiring and cutting back! the tree above has very limited foliage, needs a year or two of growth before it will respond well! The foliage should be more like the tree below, it illustrates the condition during development, wiring bending and cutting back. In my opinion your tree has less foliage than those I consider a reasonable bet to collect.

Attachments

• IMG_9230.jpeg
    IMG_9230.jpeg
    170.1 KB · Views: 70

Orion_metalhead

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Well, its already out of the ground and in a pot for plenty of years according to the person who gave it to me. Just never got enough sun... it was in a really shady backyard.

The plan is to let it strengthen this year. Always has been the plan.

All the advice is incredibly helpful so i appreciate hearing what everyone has to say.

Orion_metalhead

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
End of year picture... just took off the wire - some of it was biting in so I didnt want to leave it on. I am going to bring it to the the next club session but Im not sure if I will work on it there considering all the advice to let it strengthen for a year or two. The buds look a lot better than they did this time last year.

20201021_222941.jpg

Orion_metalhead

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Thanks Leo! Hopefully one more year to grow will bring it back to maximum health and I can then do some additional styling work on it towards the end of next summer.

Orion_metalhead

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I was told that a good method to promote back budding on shore pine is to remove needles around this time of the year and only leave between three or six pairs of last years' needles on the tree. Any thoughts on this? I plan on fertilizing heavily this year. I bought canvas satchels to use full of fertilizer so I have better control on that front. The tree looks GREAT right now coming out of winter. It's been covered with snow, keeping it nice and cool. The buds look like they are going to be full of energy... I feel this is the year for this tree to take that next leap forward. I'd love to hear from some of the pine experts:

1. Getting this tree to back bud like crazy.
2. Fertilization recommendations.
3. Needle Plucking.. good or bad?
4. Should I work on the deadwood this year, or wait until the tree is healthier?

I'll take some pictures tomorrow as it stands now.

Top Bottom