Pinus halepensis collecting-zone 9

my nellie

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
@sorce Thank you very much for your time to respond.
Wise notions there and rational thought.

my nellie

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
This tree is not interesting per se but I have said before that I see this young pine tree as a material for practice on pines.
Let's see if I can keep it healthy, if I can learn something out of it and if I can transform this into something interesting.

End of January it was dug out and planted into a small wooden crate (the smallest possible). I kept original soil with mycorrhiza around the roots and I also dusted some rooting hormone.
I did cut what was absolutely necessary to be cut in order to handle the tree easily. For the same reason the apex was bent and tied to the trunk
Most of the finer roots were intact. Part of the tap root had to be cut. In general the tree didn't have lots of roots.
Then I wrapped the tree into a clear plastic bag and put it on the NE balcony.
IMG_8649.JPG IMG_8650.JPG

The bark has started to flake
Bark.JPG

On March 4th I removed the plastic bag as I noticed new growth.
candle 2.JPG candle 4.JPG new 1.JPG new 2.JPG new 3.JPG

my nellie

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
I know I need to remove branches and make my selection.
However, I am hesitant because I am not sure if this would stress the tree which by the way is still keeping all the green foliage, except a few needles mainly on the lower branches which dried up.
I do know that conifers show signs of decline at a very slow pace but the new growth I posted above gives me hopes.

One of these two branches (marked with yellow line) will hopefully be the new leader/apex
future leaders.JPG

0soyoung

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I think you made the correct decision. Foliage makes carbohydrates and auxin to grow roots. Myself, I wouldn't be pruning off any foliage for at least a year (cleaning off dead stuff is another matter).

Wires_Guy_wires

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Wow, juvenile foliage! On a tree that age!?
I have some halepensis seedlings. It might be that they respond the same way as the mediterranean stone pine (pinus pinea). As a response to stress, or in the case of pinea; whenever you look at it funny, it throws out juvenile foliage.
I'll see if I can get the same results on young ones this year by stressing them out. But I have to get adult foliage first.

Thanks for posting this update @my nellie ! It's these small details that are pretty interesting!

bonhe

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hi Alexandra,
I agree with Osoyoung, but at this time, I can see it has a lot of foliage which can occupies your tiny planting space! :) If the tree was mine, I would let those new shoots grow freely. When I saw they were strong enough, then I would either cut back the top branches or remove some of them completely. It can create energy balance for the lower parts of the tree which I might need for future design.

I don't know when you will start fertilizing it in your area. Good luck.
p/s: the trunk is looked flexible to me
Thụ Thoại

my nellie

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
@bonhe Thank you for your comments Thụ Thoại!

You have a good eye my friend :) Yes, this NE balcony is a small one but I opted to keep the tree there because it can receive some hours of beneficial morning sun.
I will keep the tree on that balcony for some more time in order to keep a close eye on it and then I am going to move it up to the terrace where it can receive sun light all day long.

I have already started fertilizing my trees. Organic + liquid seaweed extract.
And the trunk is flexible and I think I will be able to put some movement on it when the right time comes. But that's something for the future. For the time being I am hoping it will survive and grow :)

bonhe

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
You are very welcome Alexandra.
I agree with your plan.
Thụ Thoại

Top Bottom