Pinus halepensis

eryk2kartman

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Hi All,

I looked for info for this pine but cant find anything really.
I saw some nice bonsai made from Pinus Halepenis and they are not that expensive only 40 euro for that one.

My question is - this is advertised as indoor bonsai, is this correct? would it survive the winter indoors ?
I read a bit and they seems to get used to dry climat, so maybe indoors will be good for a winter?
Any thought/advice?

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
There is actually no such thing as an indoor bonsai. No plant grows naturally inside. So the question is, will this pine survive inside during the winter? Perhaps under the most strict conditions but in truth I don't know. If you can supply the right light for the right duration with proper humidity and exchange of gasses it might. Looks like you will find out. Good luck.

eryk2kartman

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Hey,

I know there is no indoor bonsai, but some plants are doing better than the others, since my question if anyone had an experience with that pine.

Fishtank307

Shohin
Reaction score
Hi All,

I saw some nice bonsai made from Pinus Halepenis and they are not that expensive only 40 euro for that one.
View attachment 252454

My question is - this is advertised as indoor bonsai, is this correct? would it survive the winter indoors ?
I read a bit and they seems to get used to dry climat, so maybe indoors will be good for a winter?
Any thought/advice?
I have 'some' experience with Aleppo pines. Although they grow in the Mediterranean, they can withstand some frost. I live in Belgium and I leave mine outside all year long without any trouble. I guess if temps go down below freezing for a couple of days, it's best to keep them in your garage, or a greenhouse.

Wires_Guy_wires

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
I germinated halepensis indoors, they did OK. When they went outside they showed major burning from the sun. I'm going to leave them outdoors this winter in the Netherlands.

Potawatomi13

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I germinated halepensis indoors, they did OK. When they went outside they showed major burning from the sun. I'm going to leave them outdoors this winter in the Netherlands.

Sprouted seeds "May" do OK inside briefly but need lots of natural outdoor sunlight. Not through glass or artificial light.
Of course they sunburn when put outside. The UV is much more intense and this is where they should be grown from day one
Hi All,

View attachment 252454

Any thought/advice?

False ignorant advertising! In natural sunlight is where your tree needs to be. There is no indoor Pine known to me;). Bringing into house in dormant season can start trees growth cycle indoors when must be outside to grow properly.

eryk2kartman

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Sprouted seeds "May" do OK inside briefly but need lots of natural outdoor sunlight. Not through glass or artificial light.
Of course they sunburn when put outside. The UV is much more intense and this is where they should be grown from day one

False ignorant advertising! In natural sunlight is where your tree needs to be. There is no indoor Pine known to me;). Bringing into house in dormant season can start trees growth cycle indoors when must be outside to grow properly.
Thats what i thought as well, one of the reasons i asked question.
Thanks lads, i will let it go.....

Reaction score
USDA Zone
I feel like you had more questions and just picked one. First off I must tell you I have no degrees and just feel compelled to offer my own experience. Before I do I want to open with what I think is most important to your attempts indoors. The nursery conditions of your specimens must match your location. That is I believe why most of these excellent members didn't bother to reply. It's just a big no no to alter the conditions of an established tree. There is no way to tell what they actually did with that plant or tree when you shop on the fly. I have never had a pine in the house till a few years ago so my experiences are limited to Sierra mountain redwoods. From seed I cold stratified, germinated and grew them all indoors. Of 28 seeds I had success with 14. Seven were given away, and I kept the other seven in Dairy Queen parfait cups with take home covers to make a little greenhouses. Covers came off only after growth dictated it. They say best case is 18% germination on stratification day 20, so I'd say I did pretty good. I can reply with my media preparation and early root development plan if you ask, but that's another 500 words I'd prefer not to type at the moment. After 10 months I noticed hybrid vigor in one of them and decided to pick bonsai candidates at that time. 3 remained indoors and 4 were brought outside for the summer in an area that received 4 hours of morning sun only. I learned the hard way not to water the needles and was fortunate to only loose one in both locations. I fertilize with fish emulsion once a month after the last frost till the first. For 2 years now I have been able to keep the 2 inside healthy while also successfully transitioning the other two outside in spring and inside in October. One of your replies mentioned seedlings would be an option and in my experience I can confirm. Adding to that imo, you can succeed if you do this. A scenario I think you will have success with that's not mentioned, is finding a specimen outdoors that has been given less sunlight than your window will provide. I feel from my experience with maples that this is a keystone to indoor success with small trees. Another keystone is using Chinese pots not Japanese. The whole picturesque padded pine over rock n moss in a shallow pot scenario will bring you nothing but death. Prolly the other reason most didn't bother to reply. In conclusion look for a specimen locally that's in a location with minimal sunlight and a somewhat sandy substrate. So you know it's been subjected to drought and lack of nutrients. My bet is if there is some green in your thumb you will have permanent success indoors with morning to mid day sunlight. You should bring in some (cup or less) mycorrhiza from your beds once a year to help your soil. You will find it fairly easy if you look under healthy rhododendrons. If it's vigorous and you fear root rot on your bi yearly inspections cloche it or bag it with some springtails 2 months out of the year. If mites follow your tree at any time do the same but with green lacewings. Best of luck. This is my first post to Bonsainut.

Attachments

• IMG_0630.JPG
    IMG_0630.JPG
    198 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG_0631.JPG
    IMG_0631.JPG
    135.7 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG_0633.JPG
    IMG_0633.JPG
    76.1 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG_1102.JPG
    IMG_1102.JPG
    147.1 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_1103.JPG
    IMG_1103.JPG
    263.5 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_1105.JPG
    IMG_1105.JPG
    178.7 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG_1133.JPG
    IMG_1133.JPG
    251 KB · Views: 29
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    175.8 KB · Views: 31
Reaction score
USDA Zone
@KillerButts .
Please put breaks in your text. I makes it difficult to read with no pauses.
I do thank you for your input though! Great info!!
Sorry it was my first post and I wasn't sure if there was a character limit. Hope it gives you and op some inspiration. It's kinda amusing being amateur at best, seeing purists deny someone the chance to succeed doing something outside the norms of conventional bonsai.
Providing a balance of stress and technique to alter the norms of nature and succeeding is what I think is at the heart of modern bonsai. Just a personal opinion, I have much to learn and will enjoy applying what little I have read.
Nothing would change if possible failures weren't explored. I wonder what the local gardners in Japan thought of the first S curve seen. Or the first time they saw a Chinese pot. Best of luck, enjoy your failures as much as your success.

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
@eryk2kartman
How elaborate is your indoors light system? There are some high tech systems that come close to mimic natural sun. The marijuana industry has done serious research in the issue. If your system is bright enough to reliably produce a crop of marijuana in 16 to 20 weeks, then it will be bright enough to possibly keep your Aleppo pine happy.

Shy of that intensity of light, I doubt your tree will survive indoors over the long term. If you do not have an outdoor area available, don't try pines.

eryk2kartman

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Thanks for the info Leo,
I scrapped that idea, i only use indoors for tropicals to survive winter, not going to change it:)

Estonio

Mame
Reaction score
I live in the suburbs of a city sourranded by a forest of halepensis... I wish they would be Pinus sylvestris or thunbergiis :) . People here don't even try to work the halepensis... not only because of the size of the needles but mainly due to the double needles they have.

In any case decision is taken and I wish you lot of success, minimum you can practice technics for pine trees and learn how to keep it alive. I should have said this in the opposite order :)

Top Bottom