Pinus Mugo infestation

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Hi @Paradox. Thanks for that I will NOT unwire. In the pot there is an over abundance of rolly pollys. The pot has had them living in there fore the last three years. And they have never harmed the tree. I was thinking maybe the centepieds moved in for the rolly polly happy meal. Also per your advice, I included photos of my tree. This is as of today. And yes Atlanta really isn’t that hot and we get a good winter cold to about 25 degrees. I don’t see why Pinus Mugo would have a hard time in my climate zone 7.
Man, that tree really has had wild kingdom going on in that pot.....

Yea the rolly pollys aka Pillbugs generally are not harmful to the tree but they do indicate that the soil might be too wet.
They like to live in moist, humid environments.

I suggest you take either a wooden chopstick or piece of dowel and stick it into the soil and leave it there.
Every day, take it out and look at it. When it just starts to get dry then water the tree. When the stick is wet, dont water.

Mugos, like all pines like to dry out a bit between waterings, but dont let it get bone dry.

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
So you’re saying you do not think it is the millipedes that are causing my tree to have this needle browning problem?

No they probably are not eating your tree's roots.
However if the pot has been too wet and the roots have started to decay because of it, they might eat the decayed roots., but they arent the ones causing the direct damage.

MaciekA

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Was this tree repotted shortly after purchase or did it come in the pot it is in now?

Ashy

Seedling
Reaction score
Was this tree repotted shortly after purchase or did it come in the pot it is in now?
Since I purchased it has been in the same pot and soil. As of today, this tree has been repotted. My husband and I put new soil in and cleaned off the top rock layer of any pests. Also added fresh bonsai fertilizer.

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
So you’re saying you do not think it is the millipedes that are causing my tree to have this needle browning problem?
They could be causing a problem but far more likely there is something else going on. Without further info we can't tell.

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
Oh! I missed those photos somehow.
The tree is certainly not happy so I can see why some of us are pessimistic but there are a few shoots still healthy green and while there is still green there is still a glimmer of hope. I have occasionally seen pines recover after reaching this stage. Have also seen a lot go the other way too but I can at least try to be optimistic.

It has now been repotted which should take care of any root problems so the only thing left is to continue care and cross fingers.

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Good luck. Repotting a weak mugo in Atl in the end of June may just be the final straw. I have not had luck with mugos this far South. Next time, try a black pine.

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Repotting a sick tree by a newbee is a death sentence.

Pine_nut

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
How did the roots look? Were there any rotten roots? What kind of soil were they in under all of those rocks? What kind of fertilizer did you use? It’s not advisable to fertilize a sick tree. If you put the time release pellets on top of the soil, I’d remove it until it recovers over the next few weeks in a semi-shady location.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
This tree had a rolly polly infestation too.

20210706_073415.jpg

About 2 weeks into early spring I sat it in a bucket of water for a day to kill off the bugs, or make them evac.

These buds that are healthy now were the ones that were supposed to grow this spring, they didn't, and it had a bluer color.
20210706_073534.jpg

About 4 weeks after the first soak, I did it again, for a little longer, and they are no longer present.

It is starting to regain green.

It stays this wet, wet AF and as you can see by the healthy white root tips, it certainly doesn't mind being that wet.

I conclude it's not the wet, not the large gaps the bugs create, but the constant activity of the bugs continuing to rummage through fresh roots.

Sorce

Attachments

• 20210706_073415.jpg
    20210706_073415.jpg
    291.4 KB · Views: 3

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
A bit of a "further".

You must eradicate the bug problem. They will be happy in a properly watered pot, so allowing it to dry more may just introduce more problems.

I don't think these bugs alone are the problem though, obviously not wet soil either.

I have a concern for the heat holding black rocks on top of the soil. On top of the fact that you're probably a little too hot for them as it is. They definitely need a period of cooler at night, which black rocks won't fully allow, if it even cools off yonder.

I too would skip Mugo all together and use something more suitable to your area.
Aka. burn it!

Sorce

Top Bottom