Pinus Nigra - Nursery stock - de-candling

aqwert5

Seed
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Hi,

My 1st post here. I acquired this Austrian Pine in Dec 2022 ($50) and proceeded to possibly make my 1st set of mistakes on it. First mistake I might have made was to remove some/most of the needles from the trunk of the tree. I had remembered someone someplace on youtube mentioning that they remove candles and needle when they acquire new trees. Hence, I proceeded to also remove (by cutting) 98% of the candles from this tree. I am hoping that I will get tons of back budding but what should I expect?

My plan right now is to wait and see what happens in the spring and repot in the fall.

Any and all advice welcomed

Attachments

• Pinus Nigra - Plant 1.jpg
    Pinus Nigra - Plant 1.jpg
    402.3 KB · Views: 93
  • Pinus Nigra - Plant 5.jpg
    Pinus Nigra - Plant 5.jpg
    338.2 KB · Views: 92

aqwert5

Seed
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
This after the "work"

Attachments

• Pinus Nigra - 121522 - 1.jpg
    Pinus Nigra - 121522 - 1.jpg
    312.3 KB · Views: 91

0soyoung

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
My plan right now is to wait and see what happens in the spring and repot in the fall.
Good idea.

You (anyone) can learn a lot by doing different things to different branches (just a few - branches are very nearly independent). So you might do some things like prune the end of a branch to remove a few rows of fascicles (needle groups), completely remove the candle (as in JBP candle pruning), and pinch/break a candle or two. The prime time for pinching pines, spruce, and firs is as needles emerge. Of course, there may be an interest with some of these things being done in spring versus late summer (Aug/Sep).

Right now, you could also do some wiring. The real point is just to assure that all foliage, especially low interior stuff, gets sun. But, its also practice and if you do it now, you'll also be able to see its effect during this season as well. It will also get you started pondering just what kind of bonsai you want to make of it.

aqwert5

Seed
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Thank you for the feedback. I don't know why I didn't think of doing different things to different branches. Makes perfect sense. As far as wiring is concerned, I thought of it but didn't want to stress the tree too much.

Given that the tree will stay in the nursery pot for the time being, and the decandling that was done, how should I approach fertilizing the tree?

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
Need to be aware that not all pines react the same. Bonsai growers divide them into single flush and multi flush types based on the response to pruning. JBP is multi flush and will grow new shoots after pruning in the growing period. White pines are single flush and only grow new shoots next spring following pruning. I believe that Pinus nigra is a single flush species so may not respond to pruning until next spring.
Single flush species are not managed the same way as JBP. More research based on single flush species to find appropriate techniques for your pine.
Even multi flush species react different depending on the time of year of pruning or decandling so need to pay attention to timing.

In the pine species I am familiar with new buds emerge easier from existing healthy needles so I'm always reluctant to remove needles from areas I want new shoots. Generally pruning the ends back close to where you want new shoots but leaving some healthy needles there works for most pines. I will be interested to see how this pine reacts to the work.

I have not grown P. nigra for many years so cannot help you with predictions of response to your pruning and needle removal this time. Hopefully someone who does have good practical experience with the species will add some thought.

Potawatomi13

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
😳"Candles" were instead buds for next Spring. MAYBE (few) new buds will grow but expect very little actual growth will happen. Bad mistake! Removing needles from trunk/branches eliminates most any chance of additional budding/branches growing there. Another bad mistake. Attach self to nearby Bonsai club and ask advice before any more "work" done.

Srt8madness

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
😳"Candles" were instead buds for next Spring. MAYBE (few) new buds will grow but expect very little actual growth will happen. Bad mistake! Removing needles from trunk/branches eliminates most any chance of additional budding/branches growing there. Another bad mistake. Attach self to nearby Bonsai club and ask advice before any more "work" done.
Precisely, thems were buds.

It's helpful to know the "why" behind doing something also. Candle cutting is done at a certain times on multiflush pines to produce short needles on a refined tree, as well as ramification. There are other techniques such as shoot cutting which can develop ramification on developing trees.

Top Bottom