Pinus nigra surviving needle cast

Japonicus

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Another 1gallon purchase from Lowes back when...whenever it was...
DSC_4244.JPG
I've been treating for needle cast for the last 2 years since I lost my first JBP to it.
DSC_4245.JPG
What I've styled to be the back will probably become the front next potting up.

Sprayed with Phyton27 2 weeks ago and Daconil last night.
When the majority of the candles are half open, I will hit it with the systemic copper again.

just.wing.it

Deadwood Head
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
I like it!
I may like it more without the low left branch (1st image)....looks like a bar from here too.
I've never had the balls to try this species, you treat it similarly to Vance's Mugo Lessons?

Japonicus

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I like it!
I may like it more without the low left branch (1st image)....looks like a bar from here too.
I've never had the balls to try this species, you treat it similarly to Vance's Mugo Lessons?
Thanks @just.wing.it Yes that left branch is a bar and the one over it will be brought down.

Nope, I pot it in Spring as with other pines.
I pinch the candles down save for years like this one where it is gaining strength back.
I normally pinch the candles off by 75% and cut back over grown branches in March or August.
This year I will be cutting shoots back rather than pinching candles since the needle cast saps energy.

A week 10 days ago maybe, I would have pinched the strong candles back to 25%
a week or so later the mid strength ones, then before they open the weaker ones lower down if need be.
Not that these are the best practices, but is how I've been dealing with this one.
Really gotta get that lichen and needle cast under control. Hope to pot it down some next year.

bonsaichile

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Your Austrian black pine is looking good. I have been experimenting with a young one for the last couple years. How old is yours? It is beginning to bark up nicely. Mine is still some years away from that kind of bark, I guess.

Japonicus

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Your Austrian black pine is looking good. I have been experimenting with a young one for the last couple years. How old is yours? It is beginning to bark up nicely. Mine is still some years away from that kind of bark, I guess.
Austrian? Cool. Thanks, I don't even claim to remember what year I bought this at Lowes LOL.
It was in a 1 gallon pot with a tag that read Pinus nigra . If I had to guess, 10 years
but easily more...

NOZZLE HEAD

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
No. Coppers. Are systemic.

And you wouldn’t want it to be.

Phyton 27 also has Tannic acid in it which may be why they are allowed to say it is systemic. Two protectant fungicides do not make a comprehensive fungicide program.

Which needlecast fungi do you suspect is the culprit?

Japonicus

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
No. Coppers. Are systemic.

And you wouldn’t want it to be.

Phyton 27 also has Tannic acid in it which may be why they are allowed to say it is systemic. Two protectant fungicides do not make a comprehensive fungicide program.

Which needlecast fungi do you suspect is the culprit?
You know more about it than I do. I wouldn't know kneefle cast from needle cast types, which goes back to Adairs thread (kneefle cast).
I have granular Bonide infuse on order should be here next week. I don't claim to have a fully comprehensive lot of anything, that's for sure :)
DSC_1692.JPG
This was my 1st JBP which I lost to needle cast the following year. Once the left branch cracked from over zealous wiring/bending
you can see the 2nd year black suet setting in. The needles became sticky with a tar like suet in the sheathes.
This was a gift years prior from a wholesaler somewhere in California. There's a pic of it just before it died in Adairs thread.

Japonicus

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I'm starting with the lowest branches and cutting the shoots back then
removing most under and a bit of the upper growing needles on the lowest 2 branches.
10 days later I will work on the mid section and 10 days late, apex region.
This will however take more than 30 days I'm sure as I'm slow getting around to the most needy of my trees.
It took me two days in short sessions to get the 2 bottom branches where they are. I have a mugo that needs repotting...
most all my juniper needs thinning, and tweezing out the moss and lichen takes more time than I will ever have.
I would remove more (thinning) if the tree were more happy, and now I don't plan on a Spring repot,
rather aerating the soil and continued combatting the needle cast next year, regain health, then repot following year.DSC_4858.JPG

DSC_4859.JPG

DSC_4861.JPG

DSC_4862.JPG
I do plan to jin the bottom left branch late Summer (won't be much a jin) and some wiring in the Fall.
If this one does not succumb to the needle cast, it should look pretty good in 3 years.

Japonicus

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Still has needle cast despite the rotation of fungicides I'm using and keeping growth on to build strength
skipping Fall maintenance.

I'm paranoid to do cut backs, needle pulling or cutting, or candle pinching because of the open wounds this leaves.
I took these pictures today then came back and cleaned up underneath and over top of most branches
pulling needles mostly, and pinching candles back to 25% length. Hopefully this does not exacerbate the issue.
DSC_6220.JPGDSC_6213.JPGDSC_6214.JPGDSC_6215.JPGDSC_6218.JPGDSC_6219.JPG
Since cleaning up a little, there are no entirely dead needles left on, but what is left with brown
are all partially brown or dead on the exterior portion of the needle, maybe 50% on some.
There are some good back buds to cut to which I plan on doing this Fall.
Any saving grace maybe @Adair M might be able to suggest?

Japonicus

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
DSC_6223.JPG

DSC_6224.JPG
Can't explain the optical illusion with the low right branch here. The flash did go off on the camera so probably shadowing IDK.
I would like to do more, but want to keep strength coming in.

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Remove the dead needles. Keep up the copper/draconil treatment, and do the Cleary’s 3336 if you can. Needlecast is persisitant, and it takes persistence to rid your trees of it.

Japonicus

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Remove the dead needles. Keep up the copper/draconil treatment, and do the Cleary’s 3336 if you can. Needlecast is persisitant, and it takes persistence to rid your trees of it.
@Adair M I have removed the dead needles, what about the semi dead ones obviously infected?
That would be most of the needles.

Is my concern about performing wound opening maintenance including needle pulling warranted?

AJL

Chumono
Reaction score
Pinus nigra is a European native and has a number of sub-species ,many grown for timber fast growing with long internodes , often with long needles up to 12 cm long. It includes Austrian Pine, Corsican Pine, Black Pine, Calabrian pine , all susceptible to Dothistroma needle blight.
Are you sure its not Pinus thunbergii Japanese black pine ?

Japonicus

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
The Bonide Granular seemed to work for my JBP last year.... I think the main ingredient is the same.as Clearys.
I was hoping it was, I am using the Bonide granular too, so rotating 3 products.
This has probably been more than, but at least 3 years going with and treating for the disease.

Are you sure its not Pinus thunbergii Japanese black pine ?
The white plastic stick in label read pinus Nigra, that”s all it said.
I have another one in ground with not enough light exposure and the needles are easily 12 cm long.
Both seem to back bud readily. This one been in a pot all it’s life And had the candles pinched back in Spring
and needles thinned a couple of times.

Japonicus

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
DSC_6226.JPG
Just saw these BLACK candles on a mugo. It too has been treated along with all my pines, for needle cast
but what this is, I have no idea. My next door neighbor has fruiting trees, I have a couple of crabapples.
I've never seen this before...may show up in its own thread eventually.

Japonicus

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Normally, I like some purple in my buds......
But I don't think I like that.

Bump!
Thai?
1618884629045.png
LOL it's gone now.

I used to be able to get away with leaving my sheers in alcohol over night accidentally.
Any more it starts rusting the carbon steel. This new batch I got the 91% and I think it rusts quicker 🤨

Top Bottom