Pinus Parviflora 'Schoon's Bonsai' Help

Sn0W

Shohin
Reaction score
I found a few chunky examples of these today at a nursery I've been working with over lockdown. There are a couple with trunks at least 2", nice movement and some decent branch placement. I cannot find much information at all regarding this cultivar online so I was wondering if anyone could shed any light on these at all?

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
The American Conifer Society has a pretty good database of cultivars. I found nothing. The RHS has a similar database, is supposed to be the "world's official repository" but their site is frustrating to navigate. All science is hidden in favor of "happy crap" for dummies. Good luck searching. There may simply be no on line information if the originator of the cultivar did not follow the publication requirements for naming a cultivar.

Last edited:

Sn0W

Shohin
Reaction score
thanks @Leo in N E Illinois I couldn't turn up anything through either of those websites. I guess it will be the originator not following the requirements

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I found a few chunky examples of these today at a nursery I've been working with over lockdown. There are a couple with trunks at least 2", nice movement and some decent branch placement. I cannot find much information at all regarding this cultivar online so I was wondering if anyone could shed any light on these at all?
Never heard of that variety. It might be good. Might not.

Got a picture?

Sn0W

Shohin
Reaction score
Only got the close up of the label I took so I could look it up as there is no signal in the nursery. You can see the tips here. I will get pictures of the whole trees next time I'm there.
20200706_163731.jpg

Sn0W

Shohin
Reaction score
@Adair M here are the pictures. They've got about 5 or 6 total but these 2 have the best movement.
White pine 1.jpg
White Pine 2.jpg
White Pine 3.jpg
White Pine 4.jpg

Sn0W

Shohin
Reaction score
I didn't purchase one, but I'm not aiming to win any shows. The needles to me don't look massively different to a non refined JWP. I would interested to see if whether with needle reduction techniques you could all but remove the bends in the needles.

Top Bottom