Pinus parviflora seedlings

Npr90irl

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I just got four JWP seedlings. When I bought them on eBay I wasn’t convinced they were parviflora, that maybe the seller didn’t know any better and has strobus. I bought them anyway ( they were cheap) and I could just plant them in the yard. They came today and upon inspection they are indeed parviflora on their own roots. I haven’t been able to find much on using seed grown parviflora for bonsai. Any suggestions?image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
Time, a lot of time. If they were mine, I would wire bends and twists into the trunks, now or next year. Then I would let them grow pretty much unchecked, for 3 or more growing seasons. Every 3 months check wire to make sure it does not scar the trunk. In 3 to5 or so years you can begin styling these trees. The larger the trunk you want, the longer it will take. Most of the JWP in exhibitions are in the 40 to 100 year old range. You can have a pleasant bonsai in 10 to 25 years, but seedling pines take time. Exhibition quality trees are older. There are no "instant bonsai".

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I just received 6 of these from the same seller. He sold out quickly. I probably won't live long enough to see real development, but someone will.

BonsaiNaga13

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I bought the last 2. Are they planted in plain mulch or is that just a top dressing? Mine are in the mail at the moment.

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I bought the last 2. Are they planted in plain mulch or is that just a top dressing? Mine are in the mail at the moment.
I have not looked at the roots yet but they look like the surface is mulched.
When I found these he had almost 50. If I was a little younger or a little more affluent, I would have bought them all.
;)

BonsaiNaga13

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I bought 3 from Matt last month. When I heard of the ebay listing I had 3 in my cart waiting to pull the trigger. Looks like they got matt beat but easy come easy go 😂

Npr90irl

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
They are in perlite and coir/peat. They have a little redwood compost on top I think. That’s awesome I’m glad I got in on the action.

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Her has a lot of other interesting plants too. Most are zone 7, which I generally prefer to avoid.

Npr90irl

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
So I haven’t dug too far yet, but from what I gather p parviflora on own roots are quite cold hardy, ya? More so than thunbergii? This will be my first winter with my trees.

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
So I haven’t dug too far yet, but from what I gather p parviflora on own roots are quite cold hardy, ya? More so than thunbergii? This will be my first winter with my trees.

JWP on own roots is zone 4 hardy if in the ground. I would just set the pot on the ground, add mulch AFTER ground freezes. The after ground freezes is to avoid issues with varmints, mice, voles, etc, nesting in the media.

Npr90irl

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
JWP on own roots is zone 4 hardy if in the ground. I would just set the pot on the ground, add mulch AFTER ground freezes. The after ground freezes is to avoid issues with varmints, mice, voles, etc, nesting in the media.
Okay I am having a difficult time deciding which trees I will keep in the garage and which will be outside. There is just so much conflicting information out there. Everyone keeps suggesting I just go to NEBG and ask away, however it’s far, I live in Boston so I don’t drive. Anyway thank you.

coltranem

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I live fairly close just outside of worcester. Send me a pm with the trees you have and can try to give some guidance.

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A

Clip

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I ordered 5 and just received them today. Really happy with the plants and the way they were shipped. I also got two Japanese hornbeam that are really nice looking.

Attachments

• JWP seedlings 10-20-22.jpg
    JWP seedlings 10-20-22.jpg
    74.6 KB · Views: 29
  • JWP seedling lrg 10-20-22.jpg
    JWP seedling lrg 10-20-22.jpg
    69 KB · Views: 30

BonsaiNaga13

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I should have gotten more than 2 lol. Make sure to update the thread when you repot. Idk if I should hbr or fbr next spring since they're seedlings but im thing 100% pumice 🤔

Clip

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
hbr/fbr? I learned the hard way with JWP that I have to use a very open soil mix. :( I will update when I pot them up.

Top Bottom