Pinus ponderosa

Reaction score
Last year i acquired an abandoned pinus. The guy told me it was a JBP, i found it a little weird since it wasn't like the others i saw... Pinus ponderosa is not a common thing around here. But looking around here i have a feeling i have found one. I have the impression some love them, and others hate them. I see buds are big, needles are long, ramification is less. Is that what makes them more difficult to use as bonsai? Are they good for medium size? Do they bud back? I've searched a few months ago, viewed some video's (Ryan Neil, ...) some graft JBP on them but i would chose to not doing that since they are "rare" here.
Lots of questions.
before
2016-01-28 13.43.47.jpg
lean
2016-01-28 13.46.06.jpg
after
2016-01-28 15.09.07.jpg
jin
2016-01-28 13.43.03.jpg

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Long needles, needles that curl, very slow growing, difficult to make backbud, slow to set bends with wire, single flush.

They are collected because yamadori from the mountains can have amazing trunks. The branches are very flexible, and can be bent easily. They're very cold hardy.

Reaction score
Thanks for addressing a big part of the problem. I will try for a few years, then we will see. I have some backbuds after this year, will see how it goes. thanks

Potawatomi13

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
You say "abandoned" as if a gift. Is this so? If you have opportunity meeting Walter Pall is a Ponderosa Fan and keeper and could tell you much. Possibly/likely Walter even knows this tree. He comes to our area to buy trees from collector Randy Knight periodically. Also a Ponderosa fan and keeper I am;).

Reaction score
No it was not a gift. I mean abandoned like "not cared for properly" it's not always easy to chose the right word at the right time. It came with a batch of other trees i bought from an enthousiast stopping with this hobby. Mr. Pall does not live too far from here but it is unlikely he knows the tree. There are certain aspects of the ponderosa pines i like, but i don't know if in the initial styling i did compact the tree enough to have a sustainable image for a longer time. I will leave it as it is for now and next winter i will work on it a bit more. I will try out how long i can grow the needles... Thanks for the comments.

Top Bottom