Pinus Rigida care info please.

tanlu

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Hi, does anyone have experience successfully using pinus rigida (pitch pine) for bonsai? I've heard they take well to bonsai cultivation and I'm planning to collect one in my area.

Although my experience lies primarily in Japanese White, Black and Red pines, I believe most pines require more or less the same care requirements to keep them healthy and alive. However, I would like to know specifics such as: growth pattern, vigor(or lack there of), back budding reliability, time to collect, pruning and pinching techniques, etc..

Thanks!

bonsaiTOM

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Martin Schmalenberg is a well known bonsai artist in New Jersey who is an expert on Pitch Pine bonsai. He does not have a web site. But you may be able to reach him by other means. Try a Google search.

Marty is a great guy, wonderful teacher. He can answer all your questions about this tree and share awesome pictures from his collection.

Bill S

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Planning on getting some, they have a lot sof positive attributes, backbudding like crazy is but one, normal spring digging, even straight ones can be curved by cutting wedges and turning it into a curvy beauty.(cut out wedge then bend it onto itself and wire in place, they heal over nicely.

tanlu

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Thanks guys!

Yes, I'm learning that Pitch Pines have lots of great attributes for bonsai, and I wish someone would write an accurate, detailed care sheet about the species.

The one thing I find unattractive about Pitch Pines though is the color of their foliage. Fortunately, the one's I've seen in my area are all a rich green, which originally made me mistaken them for Jack Pine or American Red Pine. But the ones I've seen in Virginia, and sold in fairs as yamadori had needles that were yellowish. Would high nitrogen fertilizer enhance this darker green or perhaps an addition of trace elements each spring?

Top Bottom