Resource icon

Pinus sylvestris care cheat sheet / care guide 1.0

No permission to download

Wires_Guy_wires

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Wires_Guy_wires submitted a new resource:

Pinus sylvestris care cheat sheet / care guide - A care guide for pinus sylvestris

A small guide to.. Guide people in the care of pinus sylvestris techniques.

If you are missing something important that's not very obvious to a plant owner (I think water pH and watering are obvious, for instance)
Please let me know in a PM so I can improve in version 2.

Read more about this resource...

Wires_Guy_wires

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Oh, I forgot to mention, you'll have to download the PDF to read it. The download button is on the top right.

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I'll disagree with fall repotting depending on where you are located. Areas with mild winters that don't see a freeze in early winter (England where Harry is located), maybe.

Where I am and areas that get freezing in late fall/early winter, there is no way I'd recommend fall repotting.

I repot my scots pines and all my pines in spring with no issues whatsoever

Last edited:

Kadebe

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I'll disagree with fall repotting depending on where you are located. Areas with mild winters that don't see a freeze in early winter, maybe. Where I am and areas that get freezing in late fall/early winter, there is no way I'd recommend fall repotting.

I repot my scots pines and all my pines in spring with no issues whatsoever
Ye, of course it depends where you reside. But here, there's no problem at all when repotting first half of August. Then roots are still developing fast, and... the tree does not shut down and stops growing

Wires_Guy_wires

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
The rootwork and repotting part mentions "warm parts of fall" and preferably spring repots.

I'm in favor of discussing the next version improvements but let's avoid talking about things as if they're not in the document already ;-)
The message I'm getting is that my textual structure makes it hard to find some things, which is appreciated and noted.

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Ye, of course it depends where you reside. But here, there's no problem at all when repotting first half of August. Then roots are still developing fast, and... the tree does not shut down and stops growing
Milage varies. It gets very dangerous generalizing something based on your experience in your location. Things you can do safely in your location at a certain time can kill a tree if it's done in another location.

August where I live is very hot 90-95+ degrees Fahrenheit, and can have little to no rain. I believe you have more rain and it's cooler typically where you are in August? Your winter is also typically milder? England where Mr. Harrington is located is usually cooler in summer and has a milder winter than here.

I've repotted scots and mugos in early August here with success. The mugos seem to fare better than scots, but I've had mugos stall and sulk after a summer repot then be very slow to get going the following spring. I've had half of my scots die after repotting in August.

None of my scots or mugos have died with a spring repot and in all cases recovered faster than any of my summer repots while the mugo done the summer before sulked. I believe the differences is because of my climate and seasonal patterns.

I just think it is smart for people to think about their situation before blindly following what someone else halfway around the world in a very different climate is doing.

Top Bottom