Pinus Sylvestris 'Gold Medal'

Bonsaidoorguy

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
This is a Scots Pine 'Gold Medal' that I've been working on from nursery stock. Reduced the roots quite a bit this spring and it seems to not even care. Need to pinch a few candles soon and do a bunch of selection come end of summer. It's looking a little bushy.20210604_115641.jpg

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
This is a Scots Pine 'Gold Medal' that I've been working on from nursery stock. Reduced the roots quite a bit this spring and it seems to not even care. Need to pinch a few candles soon and do a bunch of selection come end of summer. It's looking a little bushy.View attachment 379003

If by "pinch", you mean cut those long candles in half, yes you can do that now. If you mean cut them off completely like with Japanese black pines, no. You don't do that with scotts

Bonsaidoorguy

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Yes, cut longer candles to redistribute energy to smaller candles and then the needles are fully extended and rigid I can do my selections. My first big mistake when I started bonsai was cutting some candles on my white pine off to remove pollen cones. Almost killed that tree, luckily there weren't more cones. Learned about single flush pine that season.

Bonsaidoorguy

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Spring update picture. It's doing well, showing some gold.IMG_20230520_161521695_HDR~2.jpgIMG_20230520_161545532_HDR~2.jpg

Top Bottom