Pinus Sylvestris / Scots Pine - Yamadori

vienna1201

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Hey there,

i rescued this guy last December from road works (not the optimal time of year I guess). I was able to dig up a good portion of fine roots and hope it survives. Now, 3 months later, i broke off one bud and it is still very green.
IMG_20201223_115214.jpg

20210403_134041.jpg

Wish me luck and I'll keep you posted in the upcoming years :)

BrightsideB

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Did you leave some of the native soil attached to the roots? See how it reacts to it’s new environment before putting more stress on it. It will probably be a very healthy tree if it lives. It’s nice! Has lengthy branches though.

TomB

Omono
Reaction score
Looks like good material. I've collected Scots pines in December with no issues.

vienna1201

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Did you leave some of the native soil attached to the roots? See how it reacts to it’s new environment before putting more stress on it. It will probably be a very healthy tree if it lives. It’s nice! Has lengthy branches though.
Yes, I left original soil on the roots. I considered repotting it in heavy ceramic and slightly bigger pot, as the current plastic pot is very unstable and i fear the wind blowing it over. However, it would mean additional stress.

vienna1201

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Looks like good material. I've collected Scots pines in December with no issues.
Thanks a lot - I love the base especially. Very good to hear your experience regarding December (as the trees are in dormancy over winter anyways, I hoped it would be similar to digging it up in spring) .

TomB

Omono
Reaction score
Yes, I left original soil on the roots. I considered repotting it in heavy ceramic and slightly bigger pot, as the current plastic pot is very unstable and i fear the wind blowing it over. However, it would mean additional stress.
I had a similar situation recently, and built a wooden frame around the plastic pot to stabilise it. If the plastic pot fits inside the bigger ceramic one, you could just wire it inside it.

Top Bottom