Pinus sylvestris

AlainK

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
Hello,

Maybe you can give me some advice on the future of this Scots pine.

It was a 3-4 year-old seedling I brought back from a walk in the mid 90s. Then, hesitation blues.

Dec. 04
March 05
Nov. 07
Jan. 09

I feel I'll take the cutters tomorrow, and chop, chop, chop, but perhaps you have another idea.

Attachments

• pinus_kengai_041203a.jpg
    pinus_kengai_041203a.jpg
    48.4 KB · Views: 77
  • pinus_bunjin_050325.jpg
    pinus_bunjin_050325.jpg
    60.4 KB · Views: 63
  • pinus_bunjin_071101.jpg
    pinus_bunjin_071101.jpg
    30.8 KB · Views: 70
  • pinus_bunjin_090109b.jpg
    pinus_bunjin_090109b.jpg
    53.9 KB · Views: 128
Reaction score
Are you thinking about growing more on the left side to make it more compact?
Dirk

AlainK

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
Actually, I'm thinking of trimming the vegetation on the right to make it less compact...

mapleman77

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I agree. A Bunjin should have sparse, light foliage and the best way right now would be to thin out the foliage and do some needle reduction work. Looks like a great bunjin in the works!

David

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
I agree. A Bunjin should have sparse, light foliage and the best way right now would be to thin out the foliage and do some needle reduction work. Looks like a great bunjin in the works!

David

Actually before you start removing needles you ought to think about shortening some of the branches you do not remove. If you shorten without needles to support the cut you lose back budding.

mapleman77

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Very true Vance (thanks for the correction). :) In any case, it looks like a wonderful tree to have...i'm jealous! :)

David

Mojosan

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I think it looks great just the way it is. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
I think it looks great just the way it is. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

I assume you are talking about this picture as it is? I have to disagree a whole lot, a bunch, a plethora of disagreements. If this tree was just a crapy stick in a pot with no future any time you could measure in less than decades I would not take the time to respond. However; that's not the case. This tree is one to two growing seasons away from being a real quality Literati/Bunjin. If it is going to get there it needs to be dealt with this season or that opportunity will be forever overgrown and the window lost.

Attachments

• pinus_bunjin_090109b.jpg
    pinus_bunjin_090109b.jpg
    53.9 KB · Views: 37

AlainK

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
If it is going to get there it needs to be dealt with this season or that opportunity will be forever overgrown and the window lost.

I agree with you : I wanted to take my time before doing any major transformation, but I realize that it's already quite late. The next window is Thursday 22nd, at my club, I'll post an update.

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
I agree with you : I wanted to take my time before doing any major transformation, but I realize that it's already quite late. The next window is Thursday 22nd, at my club, I'll post an update.

Where do you live if you do not mind me asking?

What I believe should be done should wait till the tree is in active growth, other than the removal of unwanted branches. However; if you are working with someone in your club make sure the person who helps/advises you #1 knows what to do with pines and has demonstrated a track record with them, and #2 shares a vision for the Literati style which this tree is eminently suited for. If you cannot establish that kind of relationship I would pass on help other than listening to advise.

What needs to be done with this tree needs to be done this year not this month.

Mojosan

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
If it is going to get there it needs to be dealt with this season or that opportunity will be forever overgrown and the window lost.

Vance, this is intriguing -please elaborate - in detail if you please...

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6

Vance, this is intriguing -please elaborate - in detail if you please...

It needs to have some of the branches removed without looking to the default first branch, second branch, back branch, third branch and apex way of thinking. In fact the first clue he has the wrong guy looking at this tree is evidenced by that approach and it should be politely declined. This tree is not a traditional formal or informal upright, it is a Literati and has to be approached by someone who has a love for the style. As to the timing on the work out.

It is important the the ends of the remaining branches be shortened as much as possible without denuding the branches. This will induce back budding in toward the trunk. However; it is important that the tree is growing vigorously till about the middle of June then it is cut back as described. The tree must have been well fertilized for at least a month before this takes place. If this procedure is done now there is much doubt as to whether the required back budding will take place. As I said in an earlier post removing some unwanted branches is OK, but what ever you do, do not remove any needles and don't cut back the remaining branches till early summer.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
Were this my tree, I would wire each branch (except for obvious dead-enders) before I removed anything. Style the tree with what you have, then decide what can go. This will be a very nice literati in a few short years.

Chris

Top Bottom