Pinus sylvestris

Davids

Seedling
Reaction score
Hi guys, I'm new here.
This pinus is sown by me. I've removed all sidebranches to get lengte, to get a thick trunk. (My mistake).
At the bottom there is one living branch left.
The choice here is: taking care for this lowest branch OR creating a literati?
Question after this choice:
How to handle this tree to it's final shape. I always kill my pines... 😭
IMG_20210124_155201.jpg

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Welcome to the nuthouse, David

I am nto going to explain to you what I would do to this tree.

JeffS73

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
You have a sacrifice branch and a shoot, it's further on than a seedling, so not so bad, honestly! It will take some time, but maybe thats what you're interested in, the journey. Any nebari to speak of? I would be tempted to repot into either a large colander/airpot or the ground and tilt /wire down the leader so the shoot is at the highest point. Then feed well and let grow, report back in 2 years ;)

Potawatomi13

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Or just let grow a couple years. Maybe new branches come at places of old ones. Otherwise tree is literati or new tree from base sprout ;).

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
Looking at the internodes where lower branches were cut it probably does not really matter that they were removed. Those branches would probably have been too far apart to make a good bonsai anyway and you would eventually have been forced to cut at the lowest branch.
The twisted tree posted by @cishepard is one good option. Not sure if you can pull off that sort of trunk with what you have but probably worth trying and you still have the lower shoot to fall back on if it does not turn out good.
In the meantime take what you have learned from this and get another tree.

Davids

Seedling
Reaction score
Looking at the internodes where lower branches were cut it probably does not really matter that they were removed. Those branches would probably have been too far apart to make a good bonsai anyway and you would eventually have been forced to cut at the lowest branch.
The twisted tree posted by @cishepard is one good option. Not sure if you can pull off that sort of trunk with what you have but probably worth trying and you still have the lower shoot to fall back on if it does not turn out good.
In the meantime take what you have learned from this and get another tree.
Get another tree 🤣🤣🤣
Got too many afcourse!

ghues

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Absolutely right!
Welcome to this hobby and the Nuthouse, Please add your location to your avatar, it will help members give you more informed advice.
If it were mine, I’d wrap the trunk with raffia or other protective material and twist the heck out of it starting as low as possibly and plant it into the ground or a large grow box.

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
Pines normally grow at 1 internode per year. You can date younger ones like this by counting the trunk nodes which are fairly clear in the first photo. I make it 9 years including the short recent growth.
Pruning can mess up the dating by removing one or more year's growth but this one looks like it has not been cut.

Top Bottom