Pinus Thunbergii (5 trunks from seeds)

BJJ&Bonsai

Seedling
Reaction score
I'm going to be trying this, this fall with some Virginia Pines (East Coast US pine with many similar characteristics to JBP). Thank you for helping show the way!

clem

Chumono
Reaction score
I'm going to be trying this, this fall with some Virginia Pines (East Coast US pine with many similar characteristics to JBP). Thank you for helping show the way!
Cool, open a file when you do it 👍

here are pics of this tree now . It has grown very well this year.
The front ->
pin thunberg cépée 2023 08 22 (1).JPG

The front nebari ->
pin thunberg cépée 2023 08 22 (2).JPG

The back ->
pin thunberg cépée 2023 08 22 (3).JPG

The back nebari ->
pin thunberg cépée 2023 08 22 (4).JPG

Dan W.

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Excellent progression!!

clem

Chumono
Reaction score
Some new pics after a few works on this group. The main tree (leaning on the right) will grow more in height and thickness, to become the biggest and tallest of the group.

Different variations of the front side ->
pin thunberg cépée 2023 10 11 (1).JPG
pin thunberg cépée 2023 10 11 (2).JPG
pin thunberg cépée 2023 10 11 (3).JPG
pin thunberg cépée 2023 10 11 (4).JPG
pin thunberg cépée 2023 10 11 (5).JPG

the small trunk in the middle with its future new top ->
pin thunberg cépée 2023 10 11 (6virt).jpg

The bark becomes mature, year after year (this group is 25 years old approx) ->
pin thunberg cépée 2023 10 11 (7).jpg

baron

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Great to see! May I ask why you went back to a deeper pot? To get the main tree thicker faster?
I was under the impression that bark maturing is faster in a smaller pot. Won't you loose this with the bigger pot?

RJG2

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Great to see! May I ask why you went back to a deeper pot? To get the main tree thicker faster?
I was under the impression that bark maturing is faster in a smaller pot. Won't you loose this with the bigger pot?

Looks like the same pot. It was just nestled in another pot and cinder block in previous photos.

BrightsideB

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Very nice progression! Really like the work you’ve done! I started a clump of 5 three years ago. Hoping to keep them going for a long time.

clem

Chumono
Reaction score
it is the same since a few years now, and the tree enjoys to be cultivated in such a deep pot. But it isn"t the best pot to show it in the future (too deep).
I agree with you, i think the tree's bark developps more if the tree struggles more, with less fertiliser, less growth. Just an impression. In the wild, the worse condtions (poor soil, wind, snow, aridity) = the better to get a nice yamadori with deep bark

Top Bottom