Pinus thunbergii- disease (?) help needed

Heitor Silva

Yamadori
Reaction score
Hey guys, so I recently got a JBP here in Sao Paulo. It has been thriving really nicely during the first weeks i got it. However, it has shown some not-so-nice symptoms which got me worried : black tips, along with yellowish-ing needles. Do you have any tips regarding what is it, and how should I diagnose this issue? Thx

Further information: it is outdoors, receiving around 5h of direct sunlight this Summer. I recently buried organic fertilizer into its soil (Bokachi), and water it 2 times a day.

Nasty spots :
IMG_20191227_194109.jpg

IMG_20191227_194103.jpg

The tree seem as a whole:
IMG_20200102_174341.jpg

Japonicus

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Any chance you can get it into full Sun?
No idea on the food you buried into the soil, is it common for bonsai?
Here’s a thread for a good read by @Adair M
I would treat it as if it does have disease directly, now, but Springtime most certainly
spray fungicide when the candles are elongating and again when they’re starting to open
and with a systemic fungicide at that. Phyton27 is great for such.

Heitor Silva

Yamadori
Reaction score
Any chance you can get it into full Sun?
No idea on the food you buried into the soil, is it common for bonsai?
Here’s a thread for a good read by @Adair M
I would treat it as if it does have disease directly, now, but Springtime most certainly
spray fungicide when the candles are elongating and again when they’re starting to open
and with a systemic fungicide at that. Phyton27 is great for such.

Regarding full sun, yes, I will provide it a better place. About the organic fertilizer, it isn't so common in bonsai... Will leave a link for an American version of it.

Must be, however, the watering excess allied with lack of sunlight... Will start to use systemic fungicides before elongation, and, for now, I'll try a copper based one so as to combat these naughties. Thanks!

Japonicus

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Regarding full sun, yes, I will provide it a better place. About the organic fertilizer, it isn't so common in bonsai... Will leave a link for an American version of it.

Must be, however, the watering excess allied with lack of sunlight... Will start to use systemic fungicides before elongation, and, for now, I'll try a copper based one so as to combat these naughties. Thanks!
That may be some really good fertiliser I don't know, don't see the analysis but
it's all in how much you use and how often once you're familiar with the fertiliser
so if you've been familiar with it over the years probably not the issue.
Your tree has good overall colour in the last picture, is that as recent as the close ups too?
The close ups could be tainted by camera flash?...but look poor in colour.
Do check out that thread linked above, should steer you in the right direction coupled with better Sun exposure.

Can you describe and, picture the soil? All the info you put out there will help.
Your USDA grow zone in your profile will help too.
Hopeful you are allowing to soil to near dry before each watering,
and if in a prolonged wet climate, hopeful you can provide some cover
then that has its problems with Sun exposure. Really don't know your climate or zone,
but you have it resting on a humidity tray. Unless just repotted, that's not necessary
and could add to problems.

cmeg1

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
While the fertilizer has minerals and stuff without an npk there is really nothing to go by.
My guess would be the fertilizer and lack of iron hence the brown tips.Maybe over fertilization also ,the plant could be dehydrated from more salts than water and ion channels are clogged and is getting dehydrated from chocking the roots too.Have to watch out for compost stimulater.Probably too much nitrogen.
Maybe source another grow fertilizer and if you have access to a ph pen .... ph your water to 5.5-6.8 if growing in stones.If soily stuff ...a bit higher.
Looks lack of mineral...I would not pesticide or fungicide at this time.If nutrient solution is higher than 6.5 iron starts to be unavailable.
Give a serious flush of water and go half strength grow fert with micro nutrients.Ph makes a vast differance.If you can get an ec pen check your water to see how manyy ppm of minerals are already in water.Use less fertilizer if over 200 parts ppm because will be too many minerals in solution and you end up over fertilizing.
Not so hard....... a ph pen and an ec pen and a good flush to get rid of old fertilizer salts which I suspect is causing the deficiancies.Once you overfertilize its hard to get out.There are bio additives to aid in flushing,but try water first.
Ph pens are way better than droppers in cloudy fertilizer and more accurate.

Attachments

• BEAEB702-BDD7-4A79-A7E9-2BD6DCFADA2D.jpeg
    BEAEB702-BDD7-4A79-A7E9-2BD6DCFADA2D.jpeg
    16.6 KB · Views: 4
  • 24DA0F00-86B8-470B-90E3-B204399139EA.jpeg
    24DA0F00-86B8-470B-90E3-B204399139EA.jpeg
    33.6 KB · Views: 4
  • 483FC637-A4C4-4761-9C1D-CD162088C1BD.png
    483FC637-A4C4-4761-9C1D-CD162088C1BD.png
    54.5 KB · Views: 1
  • 63846EC5-929F-4E53-95B1-0A27D13C84AA.png
    63846EC5-929F-4E53-95B1-0A27D13C84AA.png
    73.6 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:

Japonicus

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Being Summer there now in the Southern part of the country
your tree looked lush as you purchased it just after Spring growth opened.

Besides light, the food was my initial query as I've jeopardized a tree when I switched to an organic
food I wasn't familiar with before.
You think organic that the use would be a no brainer but not always the case.
...the watering excess allied with lack of sunlight...
It is possible to have multiple issues in such a few short weeks of ownership.
Where you purchased the tree may have used a fertilizer that's kicking in along
with your Bokashi food, the lack of great light, and extra watering if that's correct
would wreak havoc. Contact the seller and get as much info on the tree
including when it was last potted up if you don't already know, and soil composition.
You have a nice sacrifice leader going. Hope it turns around soon this Summer for you.

cmeg1

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
a great article on EC

I might add that organic molecules do not make an electric charge until they are broken down into ionic form by micro organisms.....so ec meter can be misleading with organic fertilizers unless the organic and natural minerals that are sourced are totally composted or processed.These types of fertilizers are usually more expensive.

All of Harley Smith’s articles are great at maximum yield website.

cmeg1

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a

Top Bottom