Pinus Thunbergii, how many needles per fascicle?

JeffS73

Seedling
Reaction score
I started some Pinus Thunbergii in 2018, and was looking them over yesterday as everything warms up for Spring. I noticed many of them have fascicles of 3 needles. Maybe 2 in 10 fascicles are like this, the rest 2 needles. Is this just the nature of this species?
fullsizeoutput_196.jpeg
DSC00366.JPG
fullsizeoutput_195.jpeg

parhamr

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
They have two needles per fascicle. Always.

I’m sure some infrequent mutations and variance are possible. I don’t think I’ve ever seen three on any of mine.

Leo in N E Illinois

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
Normally the first year there are just juvenile foliage - single needles from stem, no fascicles. Second year you might have a few juvenile needles adjacent to fascicle bundles of 2. P. thunbergii is always averages 2, though it is not unheard of to have an odd occasional 1 or 3, but 99 out of 100 fascicles on the same tree should be just 2.

If after the seedling is 5 or more years old, and it still produces regular 3 needle fascicles, there is a good chance it is not P. thunbergii. On a young seedling I would not worry, as it probably has not "settled" into mature growth.

JeffS73

Seedling
Reaction score
OK, thanks. I'll wait and see how they develop, 17 out of 30 are like it, so I wondered if maybe my seed provider had collected mixed seed, however they did all look the same.

I suppose I'm more concerned about the 100 or so seedling cuttings I've got going this year from the same supplier!

JeffS73

Seedling
Reaction score
I'm in the UK, those guys wont ship to me, so I guess I'm on the hunt for reliable suppliers here!
The seeds above were from treeseedonline, so I guess I'll find out as they mature. Good germination rate though.
I'm also trying rareexoticseed (Canada) and forestart (UK) who describe the plantation provenance which inspires some confidence.

Leo in N E Illinois

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
The UK has a couple venerable brick and mortar seed companies. But I never saved links, because I'm in USA.

Check the RHS website. You might get some clues.

These 2 links are in South Africa, and because SA was a colony, they can ship to UK

LanceMac10

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Have a couple JBP's. Did notice during some needle-plucking a few "three needles" but overwhelming majority were just two...

never have found a plausible explanation....maybe it would have a better shot of becoming a branch?

Would not trouble me, nor should you worry.