Pinus thunbergii in burlap

Jzack605

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7B
I was at a local nursery today and found a pretty nice JBP in burlap for 149.99, with my industry discount I’ll pay close to 100 for. I’ve done a few plants now from nursery stock, but all were potted. Any different protocol for a burlapped plant? I was thinking I would put it in a nursery pot for a season or two, but this is already a “large” plant in bonsai standards at about 3-4’ and 3” caliper.

Thinking about going back tomorrow.

A side question; would you guys pay around $200 for a crazy nice mugo pine in nursery pot for bonsai growth? Wasn’t planning on paying that much but the plant is about as nice as it gets for nursery stock.

Jzack605

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7B
While I’m leaning toward the JBP for price, really hard to walk away from the Mugo. Wish I took pics but it’s pretty damn nice.

Jzack605

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7B
I know I screwed up by not taking them. Don’t think I’d be able to get pics of either until I return tomorrow for purchase

namnhi

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I know I screwed up by not taking them. Don’t think I’d be able to get pics of either until I return tomorrow for purchase
You can do a real time decision thread. LOL

Jzack605

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7B
so What about the burlap on the JBP? Put in grow box after purchase?

The mugo is like an instant bonsai, real high quality plant. But it’s in a 7g pot, seems like a lot of root mass to remove for a bonsai pot; does that significantly up the risk?

0soyoung

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I was at a local nursery today and found a pretty nice JBP in burlap for 149.99, with my industry discount I’ll pay close to 100 for. I’ve done a few plants now from nursery stock, but all were potted. Any different protocol for a burlapped plant? I was thinking I would put it in a nursery pot for a season or two, but this is already a “large” plant in bonsai standards at about 3-4’ and 3” caliper.

Thinking about going back tomorrow.

A side question; would you guys pay around $200 for a crazy nice mugo pine in nursery pot for bonsai growth? Wasn’t planning on paying that much but the plant is about as nice as it gets for nursery stock.
Wow, 3" to 4" trunk. I saw a mikawa in a garden center nursery that wasn't that thick and didn't taper much, but it was already developing nice bark. It was about 8 feet tall and about the same price as I recall. I passed on it because the only branches it had were about 3 feet up. How do you make a bonsai from that?

The one you bought has some low branches, I presume.
What do you think the next steps are for it to become a bonsai? Maybe posting some pix, if you want.

B&B stuff is usually in dense clay mud that is really bad news, long term. In my experience, you can do no more than half bare root each year to get rid of it. I like your nursery pot idea because it is what I would use. I described how I do this kind of stuff for PNWtrees, in this post. His came with a small supply of soil, you'll need to supply some garden soil or just some dirt. Of course, you can go directly to your favorite bonsai substrate instead. Just be sure that your tree is secured so the roots won't be moved with repect to the pot should there be a big blow or you bump into it.

What is so 'crazy nice' about the mugo?
  1. Fabulous trunk that moves around and tapers as it goes up? All you have to do is prune 'these' branches, develop a bit of ramification, wire this branch over there, etc. and presto! it will be a fabulous bonsai?
  2. OR is it just big, really full (flush with foliage), and simply beautiful.
If 2) buy it if you have the perfect place for it in your landscape.​
If NOT 1) and NOT 2), pass​
If yes to any part of 1), go for it.​

Jzack605

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7B
Wow, 3" to 4" trunk. I saw a mikawa in a garden center nursery that wasn't that thick and didn't taper much, but it was already developing nice bark. It was about 8 feet tall and about the same price as I recall. I passed on it because the only branches it had were about 3 feet up. How do you make a bonsai from that?

The one you bought has some low branches, I presume.
What do you think the next steps are for it to become a bonsai? Maybe posting some pix, if you want.

B&B stuff is usually in dense clay mud that is really bad news, long term. In my experience, you can do no more than half bare root each year to get rid of it. I like your nursery pot idea because it is what I would use. I described how I do this kind of stuff for PNWtrees, in this post. His came with a small supply of soil, you'll need to supply some garden soil or just some dirt. Of course, you can go directly to your favorite bonsai substrate instead. Just be sure that your tree is secured so the roots won't be moved with repect to the pot should there be a big blow or you bump into it.

What is so 'crazy nice' about the mugo?
  1. Fabulous trunk that moves around and tapers as it goes up? All you have to do is prune 'these' branches, develop a bit of ramification, wire this branch over there, etc. and presto! it will be a fabulous bonsai?
  2. OR is it just big, really full (flush with foliage), and simply beautiful.
If 2) buy it if you have the perfect place for it in your landscape.​
If NOT 1) and NOT 2), pass​
If yes to any part of 1), go for it.​
The mugo fits all of the criteria in the first. It’s more the trunk than anything. I was pretty surprised to see such a well developed tree but this is also a high grade nursery. The mugo I think had an even larger caliper.

No pics and no purchase as of now. Good point about the clay soil being typical in B.B. and definitely something to think about, but doesn’t seem like a deal breaker.

Has anyone here had experience creating a bonsai from a plant in a 7g pot?

M. Frary

Bonsai Godzilla
Reaction score
USDA Zone
A side question; would you guys pay around $200 for a crazy nice mugo pine in nursery pot for bonsai growth?
I did once. I killed it. Too much root work at the wrong time.
It was in a 7 gallon pot. But it had been slip pitted into that like a year before.
Gradually move it down in pot sizes. From 7 to maybe a cut down 5. Then to a 3 then a pot. If its large maybe go from the 5 to the bonsai pot.

Jzack605

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7B
Yeah I think the large pot is going to turn me off. I’m sure it’s possible but I wouldn’t want to kill such a nice tree. The JBP is similar size but much smaller root mass in ball. Both would be big Bonsai’s in current state.

0soyoung

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Yeah I think the large pot is going to turn me off. I’m sure it’s possible but I wouldn’t want to kill such a nice tree. The JBP is similar size but much smaller root mass in ball. Both would be big Bonsai’s in current state.
Why do I hear clucking chickens?
Everything I work on either comes from a garden center or is dug from the ground in my yard. I've handled 10 foot tall deciduous in 15 gallon pots all by myself, no cranes, no hoists, just old man muscle. This is my limit.

Seven (7) gallons is no big deal, IMHO. Worst case, you have to get down on your hands and knees to work out the pot dirt. Then it is not heavy at all. This is a great time to bring a mugo home, wash and comb out all that nursery dirt, and pot it up in your favorite substrate. I have no idea how @M. Frary managed to kill one (I've only been able to kill them repotting in spring). This thread starts with a pic of my big mugo after I had cleaned out the field mud and stuffed it into a 15 gallon pot.

... don't be intimidated
... just sayin'

M. Frary

Bonsai Godzilla
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Everything I work on either comes from a garden center or is dug from the ground in my yard. I've handled 10 foot tall deciduous in 15 gallon pots all by myself, no cranes, no hoists, just old man muscle. This is my limit.

Seven (7) gallons is no big deal, IMHO. Worst case, you have to get down on your hands and knees to work out the pot dirt. Then it is not heavy at all. This is a great time to bring a mugo home, wash and comb out all that nursery dirt, and pot it up in your favorite substrate. I have no idea how @M. Frary managed to kill one (I've only been able to kill them repotting in spring). This thread starts with a pic of my big mugo after I had cleaned out the field mud and stuffed it into a 15 gallon pot.

... don't be intimidated
... just sayin'
I kill trees what can I say.
I got too radical with the roots when I repotted it the first time.
I can manage to fuck up an empty room at times too.
It's one of my many talents.

0soyoung

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I kill trees what can I say.
I got too radical with the roots when I repotted it the first time.
I can manage to fuck up an empty room at times too.
It's one of my many talents.
Hey, I like you Godzirra! :D
... empty rooms. I'll have to sleep on that one!

Jzack605

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7B

... don't be intimidated
... just sayin'
I totally chickened out. A combo of the price and still being a newbie more than anything. Not afraid to get dirty (I’m a landscape contractor). Maybe I’ll get lucky and the tree will still be around later in season and I’ll get a good deal on sale. Appreciate the encouragement.

I got so swamped today that I didn’t get either tree and won’t be in that area for a few weeks at least:mad:

Jzack605

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7B
If those trees, especially the Mugo, didn’t get anyone pumped I’d check their pulse.

Top Bottom