Pinus Thunbergii purchased from a club member

vancehanna

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
This guy was a total mess nearly 40yrs ago when I purchased it from Sally Huruska who moved to FL. She'd bought it somewhere out East I think and had it planted in the ground for probably a decade and when I dug it it the hard pan ground produced very few roots, It took several years to just get on it's 'feet'( which the nebari really is a coiled mess and needs some major work by splitting and pinning but that's future.) The main body is getting much stronger with new growth and here we show it in 'leafed' open condition. The best it has yet looked. I did a painting of it a few months back . It is a grafted JBP and the join is needing further transition into the nebari. I've photo shopped it a bit for that future look. See the 'other' photo and see what I mean buy reverse taper on top of the nebari.
Yet for all it's faults, it is nice to see it finally looking sort of like something!

Attachments

• IMG_2076.JPG
    IMG_2076.JPG
    263.9 KB · Views: 142
  • IMG_2077.jpg
    IMG_2077.jpg
    188 KB · Views: 121
  • IMG_1389.JPG
    IMG_1389.JPG
    263.1 KB · Views: 100
  • 21Feb_JPB_framed copy.jpg
    21Feb_JPB_framed copy.jpg
    378.7 KB · Views: 140

Hartinez

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Lovely tree and painting. Very much reminds me of the paintings my mother and fathers generations used to get done and we’re always present in my grandparents houses. Portraits of each child done in a similar fashion. I guess you could say this is a member of the family!!

MrWunderful

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
Great form. And of course, while I would ideally want to see a “correct” nebari, the tree has enough movement where it doesnt really hurt the composition. Nice tree!

vancehanna

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
Awww thank you both very much for the comments... the painting was sold and I included a few photos like these for the buyer along with a vitae.

Top Bottom