Pinus thunbergii

bonsapien

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I have been trying to find black pines in S. NJ garden centers, etc. No one carries them. Anyone know why? They do have "Thunderhead" cultivar but I want the original.

Tom

Tachigi

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Interesting you said brought this up. I was recently at HD to buy lumber for some benches. I always go through the garden dept to see what there stocking for any given year. Much to my surprise there wasn't a single pine to be found, except a couple of large burlap ones that I recognized from the previous year. Out of curiosity I asked why and was told that pines and specifically JBP were not the shipping or stocking sheets for the foreseeable future.

Out of vogue?

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
Out of vogue may well be the answer but I suspect that at least in Michigan and similar climates it is an issue of winter hardiness. JBP's do not winter well here as well as the European counter parts like Austrian and Lucodermus which are common in the nursery trade here.

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
SE MI- Bonsai'd for 12 years both MA and N GA
USDA Zone
6a
...they are also very prone to certain insect and fungal diseases, at least here on the East coast, that limit their viability and longevity as landscape trees.

Dave

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
I actually got into an argument with an employee of Lowes over this. One weekend I went to a Lowes about 30 miles from home and they had a pile of JBP in one gallon pots. I bought about 8 or 10 of them. I went to my local Lowes and asked why they didn't carry JBP and the employee told me Lowes doesn't carry them. When I told him that I had just bought a bunch at another store the prior day, he all but called me a liar. I went home, pulled a UPC sticker off one of the pots, and went back to the store, just for the satisfaction of seeing the employee try to pull his foot out of his mouth.

bonsai barry

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I actually got into an argument with an employee of Lowes over this. One weekend I went to a Lowes about 30 miles from home and they had a pile of JBP in one gallon pots. I bought about 8 or 10 of them. I went to my local Lowes and asked why they didn't carry JBP and the employee told me Lowes doesn't carry them. When I told him that I had just bought a bunch at another store the prior day, he all but called me a liar. I went home, pulled a UPC sticker off one of the pots, and went back to the store, just for the satisfaction of seeing the employee try to pull his foot out of his mouth.

Hmmm... that must have been before gas hit $4 a gallon.

E

ElGringo

It's more than £1 a litre over here now (whats that, about $10 a gallon?), and set to rise even further. Haulage companies are going bankrupt, and the EU insists on all fuel containing at least 2.5% plant oil ('biodiesel'), so food prices have hit the roof too! Funny old world innit?

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
It's more than £1 a litre over here now (whats that, about $10 a gallon?), and set to rise even further. Haulage companies are going bankrupt, and the EU insists on all fuel containing at least 2.5% plant oil ('biodiesel'), so food prices have hit the roof too! Funny old world innit?

That's what we get for buying into the "Green" bovine scatology; and it ain't funny. We are buying into a lie at our peril. It's real easy to come to some conclusion or other when it's some body else that has to pay the price, after all we all want to save the planet, but when what we do comes home like a daughter's reprobate, no good, boy friend to stay because his folks kicked him out of the house, then it's time to rethink the issue. As far as bonsai is concerned do not think it not possible for some group to decide that you cannot grow these trees, it's unnatural or some other specious argument that no one has the cajones to dispute.

Please forgive the rant but I have been warning people that this was going to happen for years once they succeeded in having CFC's blamed for a natural phenomenon; the ozone hole. I guess as long as I am in rant mode let me add this. The people responsible for a lot of this crap are no more interested in saving the planet than a bag of worms, all they want is power. Control the oil and control the food you control the world, and it seems that these faceless entities have gotten us to subscribe to our own eventual enslavement, by getting us to convert our own food into fuel. The funny thing is that using bio-fuels is no saving in either environment or oil, it takes an equal amount of some other fuel to distill the usable alcohol from what ever food item we choose, corn, soy beans, wheat or Big Macs.

Last edited:

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a

I took my son to a lasertag party that was miles from home :) While waiting I went to the local Lowes to browse around and discovered the JBP. I went to my LOCAL Lowes to try to get them to carry the trees since, you're right, I wasn't going to drive 60 miles to go buy more :)

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
I took my son to a lasertag party that was miles from home :) While waiting I went to the local Lowes to browse around and discovered the JBP. I went to my LOCAL Lowes to try to get them to carry the trees since, you're right, I wasn't going to drive 60 miles to go buy more :)

That is an interesting scenario. I have not seen JBP in any nursery outside of Lowes in at least twenty years. The Lowes up here don't carry them but further South you might find them.

Top Bottom