Pinyon Styling advice, please.

Captkingdom

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Here is the Pinyon (pinus monophylla, I believe) that I collected 1 year ago this month.
I know it isn't ready for serious work yet but I want to give some more serious and counseled thought to its future direction.
I have posted a couple pictures here of possible fronts, and here is a link to a 360 video. https://youtu.be/iV2-vFebjvE
The fourth picture here represents my preferred direction at this point based on my novice skill level. It involves bending an upper branch that follows the trunk-line down significantly and developing more branches and a nice top. However please do not limit advice to the novice level because I can follow instructions and I can also get help from locals with more experience.
I also considered the possibility of low grafts and a chop but I an not as confident in this nor as enthused about the time it would take to get results.
I look forward to your suggestions.
Also, Thank you , Vance for the pot design.
IMG_9243.JPG IMG_9245.JPG Virt1.jpg

GGB

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I think the second pic is a better front. i think it moves well. Plus the first pic gives the illusion of / exposes inverse taper just above the soil. Just a noob with two cents.

aml1014

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I'm not sure this is pinus monophylla, they are natives here and tend to have thicker needles that are grayish blue. To me yours looks like a douglas fir, bit I could be wrong. Nice tree nevertheless.

Aaron
EDIT :I just noticed the candles so it very well could be a monophylla cultivar.

Captkingdom

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I think the second pic is a better front. i think it moves well. Plus the first pic gives the illusion of / exposes inverse taper just above the soil. Just a noob with two cents.
Thanks i will think about that. There is certainly a lack of taper near the base. I was actually wondering about doing some root grafts high enough to help with that.

Potawatomi13

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone

Agree I do. #1 and #3 both show inverse taper but #2 does not seem to. Most important consideration in picking best front;). Not a bad starter tree.

Top Bottom