PIT-EKA Mame Pot Giveaway #2

Eckhoffw

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4b
Looks like the mulberry will be too big for the mame pot. Maybe I smash this hazelnut in there next spring.šŸ¤£F7EA4AE4-3656-4DEF-9BAE-92A1C67A7EDB.jpeg

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Mame size is not just a step you take, it's the last of them, often the last of several steps.
Indeed, there seem
To be many steps (Seasons) UP to Mame... If taking the ā€œupā€ route..

Also seems to be many steps(seasons) DOWN (and consequently 1 step forward, 2 steps back) to Mame... if taking THAT route.

Gotta work real hard to get convincingly tiny......

Pitoon

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Mame size is not just a step you take, it's the last of them, often the last of several steps.
Mame is not as easy as most think it is. Half the battle is reducing the roots in steps to get it into the pot while keeping the tree healthy the other half is keeping it alive. They have to be watered multiple times per day and most people don't have the time to do that. One way to make it a bit easier is to place a string through the drainage hole. Leave half in the substrate the other half daggling outside the pot. Place the pot on a tray and add a bit of water to the tray. The string will wick up and auto water the tree. This method is helpful when you have a lot of pots to water.

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Mame is not as easy as most think it is. Half the battle is reducing the roots in steps to get it into the pot while keeping the tree healthy the other half is keeping it alive. They have to be watered multiple times per day and most people don't have the time to do that. One way to make it a bit easier is to place a string through the drainage hole. Leave half in the substrate the other half daggling outside the pot. Place the pot on a tray and add a bit of water to the tray. The string will wick up and auto water the tree. This method is helpful when you have a lot of pots to water.
I have heard of folks ā€œburyingā€ the Mame pot inside a larger pot with substrate during certain periods of development...

Is there any truth/benefit/deficit to that?

Pitoon

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I have heard of folks ā€œburyingā€ the Mame pot inside a larger pot with substrate during certain periods of development...

Is there any truth/benefit/deficit to that?
I don't double pot. I just water my plants the ol' fashioned way. But it people do it and it works, it's hard to say that it doesn't work.

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
to make it a bit easier is to place a string through the drainage hole. Leave half in the substrate the other half daggling outside the pot. Place the pot on a tray and add a bit of water to the tray. The string will wick up and auto water the tree.
They actually sell plant wicks in different sizes. They work great.

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Mame is the most difficult, shohin next in line, both for the same reason: the ratio of roots to tree is the most exaggerated. The tree has to be grown up to look like a tree as opposed to just a potted plant and then the roots have to be reduced in steps to fit a smaller pot while keeping the tree healthy at the same time. Just because something is in a mame or shohin pot doesn't make them bonsai. They must look like a tree-in-a-pot. Tree in a pot.

Double potting works to certain extent. It acts as a moisture source that slows down evaporation from the immediate area, but it does not slow down transpiration which is limited to the soil inside the pot of a single plant.

Pitoon

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Here are some future candidates for mame. All have been growing in these 3" pots for several years now. The roots have been restricted and they have been growing in 8822. They should have some nice roots below as the feeder roots should have thickened up over the years. Still several more steps to take these before just dropping them into a small pot. Next step is the root pruning and transition them to a small growing box in shallow substrate so their roots can then grow out horizontally. Then chop, root prune, then chop, root prune, then chop....etc going smaller and smaller each pass. There's one that's an odd ball and has flaking bark I think this one will look pretty cool as a mame.

20210805_103245.jpg20210805_103255.jpg20210805_103309.jpg20210805_103535.jpg20210805_103405.jpg20210805_103616.jpg

TinyArt

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
It seems such a delicate balance -- are there circumstances in which you restrict fertilizer -- or in which it is absolutely essential?

Pitoon

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
It seems such a delicate balance -- are there circumstances in which you restrict fertilizer -- or in which it is absolutely essential?
I give all my plants some fertilizer at least once per year. You could restrict fertilizer to control growth, JWP is a good example.

hinmo24t

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
This time of year my work is crazy and all I do is stare at the computer for long hours trying to summarize junk and write reports and finish things not too long after the deadlines. Watering and yard work and then Iā€™m done for the day. No time for creative fun work
unsung hero. keep grinding

congrats to the winner

Pitoon

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Ok here we go! View attachment 390769
Received my PIT EKA mame pot today!!
Unboxing goes like,
View attachment 390770View attachment 390771View attachment 390774View attachment 390775View attachment 390772View attachment 390777
View attachment 390773
View attachment 390778View attachment 390776
My god! Everything about this package is so incredibly tight. So much attention to detail and precision.
Good to see it got to you safe! One day I may make a video dropping a packed box from the roof of a building to see what happens šŸ˜.

Next step is getting a plant in it!

Eckhoffw

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4b
643A8A3F-F24E-455D-B394-F222CEB6AC75.jpegD7A704E7-2734-45DF-8F1E-D3E992C7BCED.jpeg
it was clear that my mulberry nor hazelnut seedling would fit this little beauty.
So first I tried a 78 yr. old Sabina I had. 651C70C1-E4D2-4A66-AE14-01A43A6F416B.jpeg
naw. No good. Maybe my Yamadori jade. 003DC3E5-3B88-4A81-B824-E9EE1EC0985A.jpeg
Nope. Poor proportions. Iā€™ll have to settle with a tiger bark ficus cutting for now.šŸ¤£3DBE8D02-5D91-4825-9BA5-A5B300F0F206.jpeg5864B513-8360-451C-9DA6-0910220A0B07.jpeg
Cant say enough about the crafmanship and attention to detail @Pitoon has put into this. Bravo! And thanks again!!!!!!

Pitoon

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
View attachment 390785View attachment 390779
it was clear that my mulberry nor hazelnut seedling would fit this little beauty.
So first I tried a 78 yr. old Sabina I had. View attachment 390786
naw. No good. Maybe my Yamadori jade. View attachment 390783
Nope. Poor proportions. Iā€™ll have to settle with a tiger bark ficus cutting for now.šŸ¤£View attachment 390782View attachment 390784
Cant say enough about the crafmanship and attention to detail @Pitoon has put into this. Bravo! And thanks again!!!!!!
The ficus looks good in the pot. If you can reduce it, it will look even better.

Top Bottom