PIT-EKA Nipponanthemum nipponicum - “Nippon Daisy” for sale

Pitoon

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Nipponanthemum nipponicum - “Nippon Daisy” or "Montauk Daisy"

Looking for an interesting project? Nippon daisies are one of the few chrysanthemums that can actually have the trunk thicken up and form bark. They can make some fantastic flowering bonsai. It is a herbaceous perennial and a fast grower. Does best in full sun and produces daisy like flowers in the late summer/early fall. If left unchecked they can grow up to 3ft. Deer and rabbit resistant. Hardy between USDA Zones 5 to 9. These are 2021 rooted cuttings ready to be worked on. Wiring is required early to set their styling as wiring to late can snap the branch/trunk. These can make some really unique bonsai.

International Bonsai Magazine 2013/No.3 has a fantastic 'How to article' to create Nippon Daisy bonsai, Bill should still have some back issue copies available.

$10ea. + actual USPS shipping (continental US shipping only). Also requesting a minimum of 2 plants per order, as it takes a considerable amount of time to prepare the package........those that have ordered plants from me can attest to my packaging.

Please PM if interested, thanks!

Pitoon

20210728_112401.jpg20210728_112434.jpgthumbnail_20201005_130734.jpgthumbnail_20210329_090848.jpg

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
Mine aren't flowering yet, should they be?

Pitoon

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I was thinking of maybe trying a couple of cuttings. They haven't started forming flower buds yet.
Give it a try.

It's still too early for buds. You will probably start seeing the buds around the end of August.

Pitoon

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Plenty available and they are starting to take off now.

PM if you are interested.

Next shipping date: 09AUG

Pitoon

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Flower buds on the mother Nippon's.....and I see bark!

Still have Nippons available if anyone is interested.

View attachment 397921View attachment 397922
Just to be clear so there's no misunderstanding, these two pics are from the mother plants I took cuttings from. This winter will be their 3rd winter and they are starting to bark up.

The rooted cuttings for sale were taken earlier this year and are in 4" pots. Picture below is what the rooted cuttings look like now.

20210915_195724.jpg

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
The ones I got from you are really thickening up. Not sure I will see flowers. Something busted off most of the branches but they are backbudding like crazy and I did manage to root a few cuttings.

RJG2

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I didn't do anything to mine this year, but they are definitely thickening thanks to all the low branches. Everything has been to one side (on both of mine) from the silly growth during shipping.

I'll probably do some root work and plant them in Anderson flats next spring.

Flowers soon. Thanks @Pitoon !

PXL_20210916_200712150.jpg

PXL_20210916_200733034.jpg

Pitoon

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I didn't do anything to mine this year, but they are definitely thickening thanks to all the low branches. Everything has been to one side (on both of mine) from the silly growth during shipping.

I'll probably do some root work and plant them in Anderson flats next spring.

Flowers soon. Thanks @Pitoon !

View attachment 398031

View attachment 398032
That got thick fast! I will trim my mother plants next spring to start shaping the trunk.

RJG2

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
That got thick fast! I will trim my mother plants next spring to start shaping the trunk.
Looks like the flare might continue a bit lower too, but I haven't dug around yet.

Will be interesting to repot next spring. Not sure if I should cut back anything yet (next year), or just let it keep growing for now.

Pitoon

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Looks like the flare might continue a bit lower too, but I haven't dug around yet.

Will be interesting to repot next spring. Not sure if I should cut back anything yet (next year), or just let it keep growing for now.
Don't cut yet. Those branches will help to thicken the trunk

Alcaviator

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Don't cut yet. Those branches will help to thicken the trunk
You still have some for sale? I might be interested in 3. do they do well zone 8 all year or need to come inside for winter?

Top Bottom