PIT-EKA Satsuki Seed

Pitoon

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Here's my second time go on growing satsuki by seed, however this time with seed from my own crosses I did last spring. My focus with these crosses is to produce smaller flowers for of course mame bonsai.

If all goes as planned I should see flowers in 3-4yrs. I'll document the progress here with hopes of producing a few plants that fit the bill.

The crosses are:
Pleasant White (SP) x Chojuho (PP)
Chojuho (SP) x Pleasant White (PP)
Shiryu no homare (SP) x Chojuho (PP)
Shiryu no homare (SP) x Kakuo (PP)
Renee Michelle (SP) x Chojuho (PP)

Collected seed
20220111_183434.jpg

Milled sphagnum moss
20220111_183449.jpg

Growing trays filled with growing layer (peat)
20220111_192156.jpg

Growing trays topped with germinating layer (milled sphagnum moss)
20220111_202905.jpg

20220111_203141.jpg

20220111_203747.jpg

20220111_204311.jpg

20220111_204913.jpg

20220111_205554.jpg

On the growing station shelf, they should start germinating within 10-14 days.
20220111_211324.jpg

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
Here's my second time go on growing satsuki by seed, however this time with seed from my own crosses I did last spring. My focus with these crosses is to produce smaller flowers for of course mame bonsai.

If all goes as planned I should see flowers in 3-4yrs. I'll document the progress here with hopes of producing a few plants that fit the bill.

The crosses are:

Collected seed
View attachment 415655

Milled sphagnum moss
View attachment 415656

Growing trays filled with growing layer (peat)
View attachment 415657

Growing trays topped with germinating layer (milled sphagnum moss)
View attachment 415658

View attachment 415659

View attachment 415660

View attachment 415661

View attachment 415662

View attachment 415663

On the growing station shelf, they should start germinating within 10-14 days.
View attachment 415664
Awesome. Azaleas with teeny, tiny flowers that I would have to buy a bunch of!

Pitoon

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Awesome. Azaleas with teeny, tiny flowers that I would have to buy a bunch of!
'Kakuo' already has some really nice small flowers.

My thought on the cross Shiryu no homare (SP) x Kakuo (PP) is to create small flowers like 'Kakuo' but with pointed petals like 'Shiryu no homare'. Maybe I'll get lucky with the first generation. If not I may have to cross breed the F1 generation back to each other.

Deep Sea Diver

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Love to see these crossed. Good job!

My bet is Shiryu no homare (SP) x Kakuo (PP) was is the best cross for small flowers and leaves.

Yet genetics is always a roll of the dice.

Looking forward to seeing the results next year 😎

Cheers
DSD sends

Pitoon

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Love to see these crossed. Good job!

My bet is Shiryu no homare (SP) x Kakuo (PP) was is the best cross for small flowers and leaves.

Yet genetics is always a roll of the dice.

Looking forward to seeing the results next year 😎

Cheers
DSD sends
Yes, that cross has a good start. The 'Chojuho' crosses should be interesting as well.

Last year's crosses were aimed at small flowers over all. This year's crosses will be focused on small multi colored flowers.

Deep Sea Diver

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
That would be even more interesting of a genetic lottery event!

Kind of like breeding koi with one's eyes blindfolded. ;)

There are some really interesting results in the past from crossing multicolored azaleas.

Another event to anticipate!

Good Luck!
Cheers
DSD sends

Glaucus

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Whoa, you got quite a good harvest. I was also thinking of placing a bet on 'Shiryu no Homare' x 'Kakuo'.

My thought on the cross Shiryu no homare (SP) x Kakuo (PP) is to create small flowers like 'Kakuo' but with pointed petals like 'Shiryu no homare'.

You mean like 'Hoshi no Kagayaki' ;)

Like we discussed before, I do believe that the 'Chojuho' flower type will be recessive in your seedlings.
And for multicoloured flowers, I believe that 'Shiryu no Homare' will be dominant for colour.
A 'Pleasant White' x 'Kakou' cross would have given you good odds.

From pictures, I really like 'Renee Michelle'. So you have good odds of getting a nice landscape plant, with some more R.indicum influences. But also with a recessive Chojuho-type flower gene.
But very likely the genes line up the right way for a traits you weren't necessarily after. Maybe the seedling with the best foliage, good flower colour, strong growth, near flower shape, ends up being a Pleasant White x Chojuho seedling.

It took me some years to build up a genetic base and figure out which varieties have ample fertility. Basically none of my first seedlings were the type of azalea I was after. But that is also because I did not have the right parents. Still, some of them are quite nice plants.

You should keep an eye out for something like Aozora/Hekisui, Kozan/Nikko or Kobai. And of course kiusianum-type white or colours.
Then cross these with Kakuo, or with your seedlings down the road.

If you have the space, I would transplant seedlings to trays in about 14 to 20 days. Hook them with a tooth pick. This has worked very well for me. You get some nice spacing for the seedlings in the second or third tray.
I just fill a tray with just peat & perlite. Then put the seedling on the surface once the root (and maybe the leaves) have emerged. Then I just cover it and it buries into the soil no problem.
This way, you keep the original tray. But you also have a second one. Giving them more space will improve their growth a surprising amount.

I believe both Kakuo and Chojuho can be explored a lot more, as the Japanese only registered about 1 or so new varieties using them.
So let's see what the results will be!

Last edited:

Pitoon

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Whoa, you got quite a good harvest. I was also thinking of placing a bet on 'Shiryu no Homare' x 'Kakuo'.
You mean like 'Hoshi no Kagayaki' ;)
Do you know which of the parents was SP & PP? I'm wondering if my cross was the same.

Like we discussed before, I do believe that the 'Chojuho' flower type will be recessive in your seedlings.
And for multicoloured flowers, I believe that 'Shiryu no Homare' will be dominant for colour.
A 'Pleasant White' x 'Kakou' cross would have given you good odds.
I'm planning to cross 'Daiseko' x 'Chojuho' both ways this year. I am hoping 'Daiseko' will introduce the multicolored flower gene and 'Chojuho' the flower size into the F1 generation.
Then I will cross F1 to make F2....hopefully one of those offspring will be the ticket holder. Both have pointed petals so it should be interesting

From pictures, I really like 'Renee Michelle'. So you have good odds of getting a nice landscape plant, with some more R.indicum influences. But also with a recessive Chojuho-type flower gene.
'Renee Michelle' has some really nice flowers, but they are very large. I think it would be a good fit for larger bonsai. But you are correct it fits perfect as a landscape plant. 'Elsie Lee' also has some very pretty flowers. If I can get pollen I will try some crosses with 'Elsie Lee' as well.

But very likely the genes line up the right way for a traits you weren't necessarily after. Maybe the seedling with the best foliage, good flower colour, strong growth, near flower shape, ends up being a Pleasant White x Chojuho seedling.
My plan is to cross the offspring from the two separate crosses I did of the same parents. Maybe something will come out of it?

It took me some years to build up a genetic base and figure out which varieties have ample fertility. Basically none of my first seedlings were the type of azalea I was after. But that is also because I did not have the right parents. Still, some of them are quite nice plants.

You should keep an eye out for something like Aozora/Hekisui, Kozan/Nikko or Kobai. And of course kiusianum-type white or colours.
Then cross these with Kakuo, or with your seedlings down the road.
I'm wondering if I can get pollen from 'Sachsenstern' all the flowers if gave last year had no pollen. I remember you mention the red border won't be passed down, correct? But I can say 'Sachsenstern' foliage looks the nicest of all the azaleas I have. It's a nice size and shape. The color is also a nice dark green.

I recently picked up 3 more 'Kakuo' the one I had last year died. So hopefully I can collect enough pollen to store.

If you have the space, I would transplant seedlings to trays in about 14 to 20 days. Hook them with a tooth pick. This has worked very well for me. You get some nice spacing for the seedlings in the second or third tray.
I just fill a tray with just peat & perlite. Then put the seedling on the surface once the root (and maybe the leaves) have emerged. Then I just cover it and it buries into the soil no problem.
This way, you keep the original tray. But you also have a second one. Giving them more space will improve their growth a surprising amount.

I believe both Kakuo and Chojuho can be explored a lot more, as the Japanese only registered about 1 or so new varieties using them.
So let's see what the results will be!
I think space will be my biggest issue. There will be a lot of plants to grow out for years. This time I do plan to transplant them early along with moving them outside as soon as I can.

Glaucus

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Do you know which of the parents was SP & PP? I'm wondering if my cross was the same.

Yeah, your cross is the same.
I'm planning to cross 'Daiseko' x 'Chojuho' both ways this year. I am hoping 'Daiseko' will introduce the multicolored flower gene and 'Chojuho' the flower size into the F1 generation.
Then I will cross F1 to make F2....hopefully one of those offspring will be the ticket holder. Both have pointed petals so it should be interesting

With the Chojuho flowers you kind of have to plan for an F2. But in general, I think it is best to make crosses where you believe the F1 generation already will be promising.

'Renee Michelle' has some really nice flowers, but they are very large. I think it would be a good fit for larger bonsai. But you are correct it fits perfect as a landscape plant. 'Elsie Lee' also has some very pretty flowers. If I can get pollen I will try some crosses with 'Elsie Lee' as well.

Many people did many crosses with 'Elsie Lee'. One of the upsides is that apparently, 'Elsie Lee' produces a ton of seeds.

My plan is to cross the offspring from the two separate crosses I did of the same parents. Maybe something will come out of it?
I don't quite get what you mean? Do you mean cross Pleasant White (SP) x Chojuho (PP) with Chojuho (SP) x Pleasant White (PP).
Any cross can work. However, any seedling you produce yourself only is as good as the selection criteria you put on it. Or in other words, as good as the inferior seedlings you discarded from a specific cross to get that one superior one. With named varieties, this is already done. Say 'Renee Michelle' was the individual with the best pink colour. If you cross Renee Michelle (SP) x Chojuho (PP) seedlings that are average, you may dilute this 'special type of pink'-trait that 'Renee Michelle' has, reducing the likelihood of a pleasant pink colour in the F2 generation. Same can be true for other traits.
Therefore, if your goal is producing small multicoloured flowers, it is much better to get the right parents then to try to cross your F1 into F2 and possibly F3. In the end, that will also work. But it takes more time (and space). Of course, for Chojuho, you kind of have to do this, because there is only Chojuho and Senbazuru.

I'm wondering if I can get pollen from 'Sachsenstern' all the flowers if gave last year had no pollen. I remember you mention the red border won't be passed down, correct? But I can say 'Sachsenstern' foliage looks the nicest of all the azaleas I have. It's a nice size and shape. The color is also a nice dark green.

It may be the case that the border won't inherit. The Belgian indica researchers have some papers out where they found that flowers with coloured borders on a white flower, or white borders on a coloured flower have different ploidity levels. So that the 2n tissue is white, and the n4 tissue is coloured (or the other way around).
They state quite empathically that they therefore believe that jewel border/fukurin type flowers only emerge as (rare) sports on solid coulred flowers.
However, I talked to some breeders and they got jewel border patterns on seedlings.

The same discussion is there with white centers. Now, we do not know if Sachsenstern is an extreme version of a white center (say like Shinnyo no Tsuki). Or if it is some different mechanism.
I myself have a seedling that is slowly getting the white centers. Neither parents had white centers.
I made crosses of jewel border varieties (Encore Sunburst and Surprise), and I can see the seedlings have both green and reddish stems. I crossed the jewel border azaleas with white sporting azaleas.
So it seems the jewel border azaleas act as heterozygous for colour. The red stemmed seedlings may turn into solid pinks and reds, possibly with white centers. And the green stemmed seedlings into white, white with variegation, jewel border, or very pale colours.
If I had to place a bet right now, I would say that Sachsenstern likely acts the same as a jewel border variety. And that the offspring can be variable.
But the Belgian scientists seem to think differently. It is not unthinkable that the same flower patterns in Belgian indica originate from a different mechanism when compared to say satsuki.
If you like it, I would say go for it.

I think space will be my biggest issue. There will be a lot of plants to grow out for years. This time I do plan to transplant them early along with moving them outside as soon as I can.

I was more referring to short term space. If you have some more of those trays, and space in your growing station shelf, you will give the seedlings that you transplant as I suggested a large growth boost.
I have overcrowded trays. And seedlings I transplanted a few months ago from those overcrowded trays. The transplanted seedlings are maybe double the size.
I am actually surprised that the presence of nearby seedlings can limit growth. It almost suggest they can feel the presence of the seedlings alongside, driving them into elongated stem growth, limiting their photosynthetic surface area, and thus total size.

If you can pick up a Kobai from White's, that one will serve you well. My Kobai plants both produce seeds very well. Hekisui(Aozora) is one of my favourite. It has smaller leaves than Kozan and they are always neatly placed. But the fertility on that one is low.
I can double check the stem colour on my Kobai seedlings from this year. I forgot if they are a mix or green and reddish.
Kobai x Kakuo would be an excellent cross.

I can also see if I can send you some cuttings of small flowering multicoloured satsuki. But that may be due for 2023, meaning they will maybe first flower in 2025.
By which time your first seedlings will likely flower as you can make the cross with those cuttings.

Last edited:

Pitoon

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
With the Chojuho flowers you kind of have to plan for an F2. But in general, I think it is best to make crosses where you believe the F1 generation already will be promising.
Yeah, I'm thinking all the 'Chojuho' projects will be F2 generation projects, probably 6-7yrs to see something

I don't quite get what you mean? Do you mean cross Pleasant White (SP) x Chojuho (PP) with Chojuho (SP) x Pleasant White (PP).
Yes, that was what I was meaning. My curiosity is if the parent whether they are SP or PP can pass down a gene that would be dominant/recessive depending what it's role in the cross was.
Example: It is said that baldness is a X chromosome linked trait, coming from the mother's side and passed down to the offspring either male or female.

'Senbazuru' is offspring from 'Chojuho' cross, was it mentioned if 'Senbazuro' was F1 or F2 generation? If it is F2 then it's safe to say 'Chojuho' flower type gene is recessive. The color white we know is recessive, so offspring from both crosses will be heterozygous for white and flower shape. But my curiosity is if the parent role makes a difference or not to pass down something we don't know yet.

Any cross can work. However, any seedling you produce yourself only is as good as the selection criteria you put on it. Or in other words, as good as the inferior seedlings you discarded from a specific cross to get that one superior one. With named varieties, this is already done. Say 'Renee Michelle' was the individual with the best pink colour. If you cross Renee Michelle (SP) x Chojuho (PP) seedlings that are average, you may dilute this 'special type of pink'-trait that 'Renee Michelle' has, reducing the likelihood of a pleasant pink colour in the F2 generation. Same can be true for other traits.
Therefore, if your goal is producing small multicoloured flowers, it is much better to get the right parents then to try to cross your F1 into F2 and possibly F3. In the end, that will also work. But it takes more time (and space). Of course, for Chojuho, you kind of have to do this, because there is only Chojuho and Senbazuru.

It may be the case that the border won't inherit. The Belgian indica researchers have some papers out where they found that flowers with coloured borders on a white flower, or white borders on a coloured flower have different ploidity levels. So that the 2n tissue is white, and the n4 tissue is coloured (or the other way around).
They state quite empathically that they therefore believe that jewel border/fukurin type flowers only emerge as (rare) sports on solid coulred flowers.
However, I talked to some breeders and they got jewel border patterns on seedlings.

The same discussion is there with white centers. Now, we do not know if Sachsenstern is an extreme version of a white center (say like Shinnyo no Tsuki). Or if it is some different mechanism.
I myself have a seedling that is slowly getting the white centers. Neither parents had white centers.
I made crosses of jewel border varieties (Encore Sunburst and Surprise), and I can see the seedlings have both green and reddish stems. I crossed the jewel border azaleas with white sporting azaleas.
So it seems the jewel border azaleas act as heterozygous for colour. The red stemmed seedlings may turn into solid pinks and reds, possibly with white centers. And the green stemmed seedlings into white, white with variegation, jewel border, or very pale colours.
If I had to place a bet right now, I would say that Sachsenstern likely acts the same as a jewel border variety. And that the offspring can be variable.
But the Belgian scientists seem to think differently. It is not unthinkable that the same flower patterns in Belgian indica originate from a different mechanism when compared to say satsuki.
If you like it, I would say go for it.
Is the parentage of 'Chojuho' mentioned or documented? or did they say that was a sporadic mutation on the flower? Knowing the parentage can also help guide possible paths, unless it was a sporadic mutation in that F1 generation.

That is an interesting concept of thinking 'Sachsenstern' could just be an extreme version of a white center. I suppose I can try something with 'Sachenstern' this season, if I can collect pollen to use it as a PP maybe I can use it as a SP. If I use it as a SP then I can confirm if it is capable of producing seed.

I was more referring to short term space. If you have some more of those trays, and space in your growing station shelf, you will give the seedlings that you transplant as I suggested a large growth boost.
I have overcrowded trays. And seedlings I transplanted a few months ago from those overcrowded trays. The transplanted seedlings are maybe double the size.
I am actually surprised that the presence of nearby seedlings can limit growth. It almost suggest they can feel the presence of the seedlings alongside, driving them into elongated stem growth, limiting their photosynthetic surface area, and thus total size.
There was some research done on Betta splendens (I use to breed them way back) The research conducted on the fry was why did they not grow after a certain point. Apparently once they get to a certain size they release a hormone that retards the growth of the fry. The thoughts on this is that in nature they live in small paddies. A pair of betta's can produce a nest of well over 1000 fry. With them producing a hormone to stay small there would be less crowding in the small paddies that they live in. I am wondering if there is some sort of hormone in play when the satsuki seedlings are crowded together. On my last germination of seed I noticed some took off and grew quite a bit while others slowly withered away even though they were in the same growing tray. Walnut is known to release juglone which basically stunts any other plant growth under it's drip line. So plants do have a way of control growth as well.

If you can pick up a Kobai from White's, that one will serve you well. My Kobai plants both produce seeds very well. Hekisui(Aozora) is one of my favourite. It has smaller leaves than Kozan and they are always neatly placed. But the fertility on that one is low.
I can double check the stem colour on my Kobai seedlings from this year. I forgot if they are a mix or green and reddish.
Kobai x Kakuo would be an excellent cross.

I can also see if I can send you some cuttings of small flowering multicoloured satsuki. But that may be due for 2023, meaning they will maybe first flower in 2025.
By which time your first seedlings will likely flower as you can make the cross with those cuttings.
I am planning to make another trip out to White's this year, hopefully when they are in bloom so I can cherry pick.

Glaucus

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Yes, that was what I was meaning. My curiosity is if the parent whether they are SP or PP can pass down a gene that would be dominant/recessive depending what it's role in the cross was.
Example: It is said that baldness is a X chromosome linked trait, coming from the mother's side and passed down to the offspring either male or female.

It is true that traits that lie on the X-chromosome specific part cannot be inherited from the father. Unless the offspring is female and the father passed on his X chromosome.

In plants, it is said that in general it doesn't matter which parent is the pollen parent and which is the seed parent. I think in Galle's azalea book, this is explicitly stated.
However, plants inherit almost all their chloroplast DNA from the seed parent. Just as we inherit our mitochondrial DNA from our mothers. But a somewhat recent discovery is that small amounts of mitochondria can be inherited from the father in humans. And from the pollen parent in plants. When nature gets messy, some mitochondrial DNA leaks through the sperm cells or pollen cells into the new zygote. For azaleas with yellow and orange pigments, like deciduous azaleas, the water-insoluble carotenoid pigments are located in chromoplasts. These are modified chloroplasts. Most of the biochemical machinery in mitochondria/chloroplasts is coded for the by mtDNA or ptDNA. Only some smaller proteins come from the genomic DNA and enter the organelle from outside.
This made me wonder about the maternal line and carotenoid pigments in deciduous azaleas. I quizzed an expert and they were not sure.

'Senbazuru' is offspring from 'Chojuho' cross, was it mentioned if 'Senbazuro' was F1 or F2 generation? If it is F2 then it's safe to say 'Chojuho' flower type gene is recessive. The color white we know is recessive, so offspring from both crosses will be heterozygous for white and flower shape. But my curiosity is if the parent role makes a difference or not to pass down something we don't know yet.'
'Senbazuru' is [Chojuho X Kaho] x [Chojuho X Yama-no-Hikari]. So you can kind of glance the breeding strategy here. Not definitive proof that the flower shape trait is recessive. But because the 'Chojuho' flower is 'misformed', it makes sense that with one correct copy of a flower development gene, the plant gets correctly shaped flowers. This seems a trait that follows Mendelian genetics, not intermediate.
Yes, my guess is that your Pleasant White (SP) x Chojuho (PP) and Chojuho (SP) x Pleasant White (PP) will both be normal shaped purple flowers. But recessive heterozygous for both white and Chojuho flower shape. The difference would be that you can be 100% sure the seed parent is the seed parent. With the pollen parent, it depends on how often you get seed pods on a flower.
So just like the Japanese breeders, I would go with the Chojuho (SP) x Pleasant White, assuming Chojuho flower shape has priority over white flowers. You need both of course if you want both traits, for example for variegated white Chojuho-type flowers.

Is the parentage of 'Chojuho' mentioned or documented? or did they say that was a sporadic mutation on the flower? Knowing the parentage can also help guide possible paths, unless it was a sporadic mutation in that F1 generation.

No. And I suspect it is a mutant form of the R.indicum species. In the same way as Kinsai and Komane.

There was some research done on Betta splendens (I use to breed them way back) The research conducted on the fry was why did they not grow after a certain point. Apparently once they get to a certain size they release a hormone that retards the growth of the fry. The thoughts on this is that in nature they live in small paddies. A pair of betta's can produce a nest of well over 1000 fry. With them producing a hormone to stay small there would be less crowding in the small paddies that they live in. I am wondering if there is some sort of hormone in play when the satsuki seedlings are crowded together. On my last germination of seed I noticed some took off and grew quite a bit while others slowly withered away even though they were in the same growing tray. Walnut is known to release juglone which basically stunts any other plant growth under it's drip line. So plants do have a way of control growth as well.

Could definitely be true. For any plant, a major challenge is going from germinated seedling to established plant. The main mechanism ought to be measuring the level of shade by looking at the amount of IR radiation in the EM spectrum. But I think my crowded elongated plants get sufficient light without any shade. Still, they elongate with small leaves, if they are crowding each other.
Because of this, if you can make a spaced out tray for maybe your favourite cross. Say Chojuho (SP) x Pleasant White and Shiryu no Homare x Kakuo. Then maybe when time comes to transplant, you look at your original sowing tray and think you no longer really need that one. But you are sowing late and spring is coming. So if you want, you still can separate them all out and give them a chance.

I am planning to make another trip out to White's this year, hopefully when they are in bloom so I can cherry pick.

They put out their 2022 catalog. They sell Kobai, Aozora and also Hi no Maru.
With Aozora and Hi no Maru you should definitely check the flower patterns. I think Kobai you can just buy, because it is solid pink normally and sports in reverse, colour to white.
Ah and try to see if you can take a picture of an 'Ann Lee McPhail' that looks like this:

If yes, I will pay you to buy it if you can either provide me with seeds or cuttings.
(White's doesn't carry any 'Satrap' or 'Cinderella', but those are still also on my wish list.)

Pitoon

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
With Aozora and Hi no Maru you should definitely check the flower patterns. I think Kobai you can just buy, because it is solid pink normally and sports in reverse, colour to white.
Ah and try to see if you can take a picture of an 'Ann Lee McPhail' that looks like this:

If yes, I will pay you to buy it if you can either provide me with seeds or cuttings.
(White's doesn't carry any 'Satrap' or 'Cinderella', but those are still also on my wish list.)
I'm planning to go when they are in flower. When I make my trip up there I will see if they have it and get it for you. I'm not sure if cuttings will make it to you alive with the transit time, but I can set some seed for you and send that over to you in fall.

19Mateo83

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
It is true that traits that lie on the X-chromosome specific part cannot be inherited from the father. Unless the offspring is female and the father passed on his X chromosome.

In plants, it is said that in general it doesn't matter which parent is the pollen parent and which is the seed parent. I think in Galle's azalea book, this is explicitly stated.
However, plants inherit almost all their chloroplast DNA from the seed parent. Just as we inherit our mitochondrial DNA from our mothers. But a somewhat recent discovery is that small amounts of mitochondria can be inherited from the father in humans. And from the pollen parent in plants. When nature gets messy, some mitochondrial DNA leaks through the sperm cells or pollen cells into the new zygote. For azaleas with yellow and orange pigments, like deciduous azaleas, the water-insoluble carotenoid pigments are located in chromoplasts. These are modified chloroplasts. Most of the biochemical machinery in mitochondria/chloroplasts is coded for the by mtDNA or ptDNA. Only some smaller proteins come from the genomic DNA and enter the organelle from outside.
This made me wonder about the maternal line and carotenoid pigments in deciduous azaleas. I quizzed an expert and they were not sure.

'Senbazuru' is [Chojuho X Kaho] x [Chojuho X Yama-no-Hikari]. So you can kind of glance the breeding strategy here. Not definitive proof that the flower shape trait is recessive. But because the 'Chojuho' flower is 'misformed', it makes sense that with one correct copy of a flower development gene, the plant gets correctly shaped flowers. This seems a trait that follows Mendelian genetics, not intermediate.
Yes, my guess is that your Pleasant White (SP) x Chojuho (PP) and Chojuho (SP) x Pleasant White (PP) will both be normal shaped purple flowers. But recessive heterozygous for both white and Chojuho flower shape. The difference would be that you can be 100% sure the seed parent is the seed parent. With the pollen parent, it depends on how often you get seed pods on a flower.
So just like the Japanese breeders, I would go with the Chojuho (SP) x Pleasant White, assuming Chojuho flower shape has priority over white flowers. You need both of course if you want both traits, for example for variegated white Chojuho-type flowers.

No. And I suspect it is a mutant form of the R.indicum species. In the same way as Kinsai and Komane.

Could definitely be true. For any plant, a major challenge is going from germinated seedling to established plant. The main mechanism ought to be measuring the level of shade by looking at the amount of IR radiation in the EM spectrum. But I think my crowded elongated plants get sufficient light without any shade. Still, they elongate with small leaves, if they are crowding each other.
Because of this, if you can make a spaced out tray for maybe your favourite cross. Say Chojuho (SP) x Pleasant White and Shiryu no Homare x Kakuo. Then maybe when time comes to transplant, you look at your original sowing tray and think you no longer really need that one. But you are sowing late and spring is coming. So if you want, you still can separate them all out and give them a chance.

I’d like to know where the “royster garden” that this is in is located, my neck of the woods.

Glaucus

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Usually, these are private gardens of American Azalea Association members. Some members there have their gardens open to other members (with appointment and not during covid times though).
I was thinking about of contacting Mr. Royston once, since it might be that his 'Ann Lee McPhail' is special. But I was never sure about his contact info and he doesn't seem to be an active ASA member. There has been some debate about what is actually the true 'Ann Lee McPhail'.
There are some washed out pink flower labeled as this plant as well. For me it would even have been nice to figure out what the proper 'Ann Lee McPhail' is. (Even if I will never have it, haha.)

Pitoon, yes please see what you can do. Cuttings in the mail for a week I have been able to root.
But seeds are also good. Maybe better actually, as it will save me time. Thought it would be nice to have the original as well.
Only question is which azalea would be the other parent? Ideally, the other parent is a pureblood highly variable satsuki.
We can discuss if you can actually find it. And it actually is the richly textured & striped version.
Of course, I can return the favour.

Glaucus

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Looks excellent. As I mentioned before, these will start to crowd each other out in two months or so, slowing all of them down and keeping their leaves small.
I can show images that demonstrates what I mean.

Especially in the middle, that is some really dense sowing, similar to some of mine initial trays. Saves sphagnum and makes them all fit on a heat mat.

Pitoon

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Looks excellent. As I mentioned before, these will start to crowd each other out in two months or so, slowing all of them down and keeping their leaves small.
I can show images that demonstrates what I mean.

Especially in the middle, that is some really dense sowing, similar to some of mine initial trays. Saves sphagnum and makes them all fit on a heat mat.
My plan is to grow them indoors until it's safe to transplant them into individual cell trays to be moved outside. I have a box of 200 cell trays that i'm planning to transplant them into which I think would work to grow them out a couple of inches. Once they fill the cell with roots then I'll transplant again. Those 200 cell trays will help save a lot of space. I can fit a total of 16 trays on my propagation table, which equates to 3,200 seedlings. My thoughts are I can monitor all seedling growth side by side. Then I can select those seedlings that out perform the others to the next round of transplanting.

Top Bottom