Pitch Pine Yamadori

Klytus

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
I was wondering about the Hickories of the east,the wonderfully named Mockernut for example.

Looks its best in the wintertime?

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
"I just haven't heard of that MANY east coast species that do well as bonsai."

Name more than the four or five conifers that are collected in the West, beyond ponderosa pine and Cali. Juniper...Those two species are by far the major species collected out there and they get (mostly) deserved accolades...BUT their flashiness only goes so far...

Here in the east, the range of species that have been commonly used for bonsai is far wider and has a longer history---bald cypress, pond cypress, live oak, willow oak, elms (take your pick- cedar-winged-American-slippery), water elm, blueberry, larch, beech, hornbeam, hophornbeam, swamp maple, sivlerbell, sweetgum, wisteria, blackhaw, blackgum, black cherry, sheep laurel, pitch pine, bittersweet, sugarberry (hackberry), eastern red cedar, eastern white cedar, hemlock, old apple trees from abandoned orchards, old wild honeysuckle, the list goes on. All have been used sucessfully over the years and have been in eastern U.S. collections for decades.

I'm not saying some of these same species (or a few others) aren't used out west, but they are hardly as common as the Big Two...

Here in the east, we simply don't have the altitude or the room to produce spectacular conifer specimens, but we do have a wide-range of environments that produce very interesting trees. I also have a feeling that there are also more bonsaiists east of the Mississippi than west of it...

Last edited:

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
"...Hickories of the east,the wonderfully named Mockernut for example."

Hickories have compound leaves, not good for bonsai.

Attila Soos

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Wow that changes my world, I've read the papoos wrap before (Gnarly Branches, Ancient Trees) and adopted the method at least short term for collecting. I had no idea Dan left them in the papoos for years. I placed them into training boxes/pots and fast draining soil ASAP. Thanks for that info. I so need to get to Elandan Gardens sooner then later.

The problem you have in Calgary is that those wraps will freeze solid, while in Dan's garden that is not an issue. So, you need to protect the newly collected trees in an unheated cold shelter/garage during winter, where the temperatures are close to freezing, but not below that.

PaulH

Omono
Reaction score
"Name more than the four or five conifers that are collected in the West, beyond ponderosa pine and Cali. Juniper...Those two species are by far the major species collected out there and they get (mostly) deserved accolades...BUT their flashiness only goes so far..."

Challenge accepted.

Western Juniper, Sierra Juniper, Utah juniper, Common Juniper, Lodgepole pine, Western White Pine, Shore pine, Monterey pine, Jeffrey Pine, Bristlecone pine, Pinon, Hemlock, Incense Cedar, Monterey Cypress, Pygmy Cypress, Coast Redwood, Coast Live Oak, Interior Live Oak, Gold Cup Oak, Valley Oak, Blue Oak, Black Oak, Scrub Oak, Vine Maple, California Buckeye, California Black Walnut, California Styrax, Chaparral honeysuckle, California honeysuckle, California Grape, Douglas Hawthorn, Western Wild Plum, Buckbrush, Manzanita, Baccharis, ....;)

Paul

jquast

Chumono
Reaction score
"Name more than the four or five conifers that are collected in the West, beyond ponderosa pine and Cali. Juniper...Those two species are by far the major species collected out there and they get (mostly) deserved accolades...BUT their flashiness only goes so far..."

Challenge accepted.

Western Juniper, Sierra Juniper, Utah juniper, Common Juniper, Lodgepole pine, Western White Pine, Shore pine, Monterey pine, Jeffrey Pine, Bristlecone pine, Pinon, Hemlock, Incense Cedar, Monterey Cypress, Pygmy Cypress, Coast Redwood, Coast Live Oak, Interior Live Oak, Gold Cup Oak, Valley Oak, Blue Oak, Black Oak, Scrub Oak, Vine Maple, California Buckeye, California Black Walnut, California Styrax, Chaparral honeysuckle, California honeysuckle, California Grape, Douglas Hawthorn, Western Wild Plum, Buckbrush, Manzanita, Baccharis, ....;)

Paul

Is that the best you could do Paul?

tmmason10

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Tanlu, how has this tree done? It's the only pitch pine I've seen on forums and a good one at that. I still plan on getting one or two next year to experiment with. Nothing as nice as you have, but just to get used to them before I tackle something a little more gnarly.

tanlu

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Hi Tom,

The tree is doing well, but since my major move to New York City, it's currently under the care of a good friend where it can get full sun during the growing season. According to him the tree is flourishing. I wintered it outside, lightly mulching the pot with some leaves. It responded with rapid root growth in the spring, to the point where I've had to cut off an access of 20 inches of roots bursting out the bottom of the pot. I was worried about needle miners, as the mid section to the tips of some of the needles were turning brown. They must've hatched from eggs layed inside the needles before I collected the tree last August. I simply snipped off the ends of the needles down to the green. The tree continues to thrive. I plan to do some candle pinching next spring. Sorry I don't have any photos yet.

Some of the things I learned from this first-time-collection: use small pots to collect Pitch Pines, be sure to keep as many fine roots and original mountain soil as possible, don't do any work on the tree other cutting off dead/diseased foliage, dilute miracid fertilizer for the first 2 months, collecting in mid to late August is ideal--gives pines time to put on more roots before winter, and keep plant stabilized at all times.

T

Theo

tmmason10

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Awesome to hear, thanks for the response. I actually got a little Pitch Pine to experiment today from the NE Bonsai summer sell-down table at 80% off. Spent some time wiring it today in class. Hope to add some to the collection next year but this one might give me a head start on maintenance.

Njyamadori

Chumono
Reaction score
Why didn’t he use pumice ? Is that possibly a reason why collected pitch pines die ?

Top Bottom